Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a reminder to always anticipate the wild reckless move from a vehicle on the road.

I had just picked up the 1997 Heritage Softail I bought the week of Christmas for a second bike, from the shop after getting it dyno'ed, and a new Bassini 2 into 1 pipe and other little goodies for the bike, got fuel, and five minutes later....................................................................................................

An 18 yr. old girl driving an SUV turned right in front of me from the left turn lane. She then claimed I rear ended her. I asked "How could that be when all of the damage is on the right side of your vehicle, and all the damage to my bike was the front end and left side?" " you pulled out in front of me."

No injuries, just stiff, but BE AWARE OF THE IDIOT DRIVERS ON THE ROAD. THEY DON"T KNOW MOTORCYCLES EVEN EXIST.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As much as I hate to hear those stories of bikes going down, I am always glad when the rider lives to tell the tale! Glad you are OK...

·
Administrator
12,675 Posts
Glad you're ok. What you fail to realize is that an 18 year old is in the entitlement era, they're entitled to the road, ijs, lol.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanx for the support guys. I was young once too, and did my share of dumb stuff, and lucky I never killed anyone, as well. However, people just don't pay attention while they're driving, especially the young ones.

At least there were no injuries.:D BE CAREFUL OUT THERE.

·
Registered
9,267 Posts
Glad to hear you stay up. Was she texting ?Did leo show up and issue tickets?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Thanx for the support guys. I was young once too, and did my share of dumb stuff, and lucky I never killed anyone, as well. However, people just don't pay attention while they're driving, especially the young ones.

At least there were no injuries.:D BE CAREFUL OUT THERE.
Boy oh boy, so did I. I'm lucky that I didn't kill myself or some innocent person. What an ass.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
We couldn't prove she was texting, and LEO did show up. The officer said she was not going to issue any citations, because both of our stories were so different, and no witnesses stopped or presented themselves. The girl who was driving was picking up her mother who works at a law firm on the corner. Mom was coaching her at the scene while we were waiting for the police to arrive. I am pretty upset that she did not get cited. I can pursue the matter if I want to, there is a case number and a report, but the officer said with out witnesses, it's my word vs. her word. The insurance company is requesting the report.

I figure I'm just going to let the Insurance companies battle each other. The evidence is in the damage to her vehicle and my bike. My insurance company assured me that I have more than enough coverage, and they are in no way shape or form intimidated by anyone, because the proof is in the damage to the vehicles.

Im certain everything will be taken care of, but Im not happy about the matter. Not at all.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
So she actually took her eyes away from her phone to notice she was involved in an accident? Glad to hear you walked away from it intact.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The reason the damage is to the front wheel and left side, is I was able to apply the brakes, and those older brake systems lock up, so I began to skid. Guiding the skid to the right side of the road, the rear wheel swung out left.

This was O.K., because I was then parallel with the SUV's rear quarter panel, almost. The front wheel hit first, and then i kind of hip-check the side of the SUV, hanging on, and letting the momentum of the SUV push the bike out of the way towards the curb, where by that time the momentum decreased, the bike then went over on its side, while the SUV continued to proceed forward with the right turn.

I got up, checked to see if I was injured, picked up the bike (It felt super light, because of the adrenalin), and then said " You have got to be [email protected]#$'in kidding me!"

I can't figure out why the driver of the SUV wasn't cited.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Very rarely do LEOs issue citations for accidents if there is ANY type of dispute. (I work for an insurance company) The damages will tell the story.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Very rarely do LEOs issue citations for accidents if there is ANY type of dispute. (I work for an insurance company) The damages will tell the story.
Oh man, that's good to know. Thank you for that bit of information. I kind of thought that, but it is reassuring to hear it.

Thank you again for everyone's. support.

Funny, I have been riding Motorcycles since I was 10 yrs. old, had one wreck when I was 15 (A pretty serious one), and then nothing for the next 30 yrs., and then this happens. I have always been cautious after the 1st wreck at 15 yrs. old, and dodged a few "bullets", but could not avoid this one.

·
Registered
44 Posts
We couldn't prove she was texting, and LEO did show up. The officer said she was not going to issue any citations, because both of our stories were so different, and no witnesses stopped or presented themselves. The girl who was driving was picking up her mother who works at a law firm on the corner. Mom was coaching her at the scene while we were waiting for the police to arrive. I am pretty upset that she did not get cited. I can pursue the matter if I want to, there is a case number and a report, but the officer said with out witnesses, it's my word vs. her word.
What happened to good old accident investigation? Sounds like a lazy ass cop to me.

I was on the road for 9 years before becoming a detective. We always handled a butt load of wrecks. Got to the point where I could figure out what happened before I even got out of my unit.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It did seem that the officer was a little lazy on the whole matter, but what am I to do about it?-Ya know? Just waiting to see what the insurance companies have to say, at this point.

·
Registered
593 Posts
That sucks, but I'm glad you're OK to tell about it. I've been riding for more than 20 years, and my Dad still reminds me often that I'm invisible to other drivers, so always have an escape route for when they do something dumb like that.
I'm disappointed no one gave a witness statement, or were there just no other cars around?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I'd put a bug in the insurance company's ear to subpoena her cell phone records. Just because the cop didn't ask to to see her phone to ascertain if she was texting at the time of the accident, doesn't mean her records are protected. More and more judges are allowing phone records to be "discovered" in the case of inattentive driving accidents. And just because her mom works at the corner law office doesn't make her an attorney! Good luck and keep us informed. Oh, and also keep us up to speed on the new upgrades she just paid for!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts