Road Glide banner

J&M system or HawgWired

• J&M System

Votes: 21 38.2%
  • Hawg-Wired

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • Keep existing Hogtunes

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Keep existing and use funds for Beer!!

Votes: 9 16.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK OK asking a poll about audio is the same as asking about which oil to use or what windshield to buy :rolleyes:

Im currently upgrading my Hogtunes system (will be in the classifieds this winter) I came up with a system from J&M and one from Hawg-Wired..

2012 ultra, and I plan on running the rear speakers off the radio.

J&M System
- 500 watt 4 channel amp
- RockerXT speakers in the lowers and fairing
- Speaker Grills with mids and tweeters in fairing and lowers
- 5.25" Rear speakers
(Thanks John at J&M for the assistance)

Hawg Wired
- 2 RS400 amps.
- RC Link controller for the amps
- 2 sets ZX6.5" component speakers for fairing and lowers
- Tweeter grills for fairing speakers
- Rear speakers STOCK??????
requires speaker buckets to be purchased from Harley for the lowers (this is an extra cost not factored in yet)
(Thanks Mike from Hawg-Wired)

both systems will cost about the same so Im just throwing out to others what their experiences have been (issues, weather problems etc)

Im keeping the stock head unit for now (dont ask :eek::rolleyes:) so thats why I narrowed it down to these 2 companies

I only wish I could have heard each system side by side but no such luck.
The J&M system is definitely easier to install (less componets) but I don't mind wiring at all

Just seeing what some have used

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
You need another selection. A combination of both.

Well, I had problems hearing the radio clearly when riding my '09 RG. So in 2010, added the 7.25 J&M speakers, (no amp) to the Factory H/K radio system. With J&M, I loved the sound around town. But needed more when riding at Freeway speeds.
Next, in 2011, I won the Hawg Wired Amp system at SWII. It include the amp, speakers and sound network. The amp is a "Plug-N-Play" set up. It didn't require me to run extra power for the amp. It is powered from the factory wiring. But the speakers required me to wire the network for the speakers. Love the increase in sound level. But the Hawg Wired speakers has a problem with some sounds. I never had this problem with the J&M speakers. I just wish I had kept the J&M speakers, but Love the Hawg wired amp.

Tour Pak speakers are stock.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was running the J&M 7.25 on my 03 with there 250 watt amp sounded ok , not worth the money . I changed my head unit to a pioneer 8400 , Memphis 300 watt amp , 2- 6.5 hertz 2 ways and 2- 6.5 hertz mid bass subs all in my fairing. I wish I'd did this set up first ,can't compare the two.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
I'm a very big fan of Hawg Wired!
Not only are their products top notch but so is their Customer Service, which I believe is second to none.
I have their RS400 Amp, with their ZX654-100/R Speakers with adapters in the fairing, their DX574-70 speakers in the Harley OEM Speaker Lids as well as their RG5254 Tweeter Kit, their HUA360 Harley Universal Radio Adapter and their RC104 Amplifier Remote Control.
When I was installing everything Mike and Justin both sent me their cell numbers and told me to give them a call anytime if I needed assistance.
When I was run off the road and my system was somewhat destroyed they were right there to help me in any way I needed.
With that, my tunes were back up and running in no time.
They are bikers building sound systems for bikers and go above and beyond in my book.
But, that's just my honest opinion.
Hope this helps.
Mike U.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
First, I can save you $400 on the HW setup. The RS400 will power four speakers at 100w/channel. That is PLENTY of power to hear your tunes clearly at 100 mph. Ask me how I know! I've heard the jm 500w next to mine, (HW RS400+), not even close.

Next, the Plug and play HW amp given away at SW is NOT the RS 400. I'm not sure the specs on it, but I think it's 60w/channel x2 channels. The RS 400 will power 4 speakers with 100w each.

If you're going to buy 2 RS 400 amps, change out the tourpak speakers and consider putting a pair in your lids. With 400w coming from the front, your stock tourpak speakers are going to get overpowered.

·
Administrator
12,454 Posts
I voted Hawgwired....but there is a little explanation. The J&M amp is really an ARC which is good, I'm just not a fan of J&M speakers, (and yes I've had them). I like the Hawgwired amp, and there speakers are good, but I have Focal, Infinity, and Polk, (soon to be Focal) with my system, I feel the Focals are a better speaker. But, I love the Hawgwired amps, I currently have 4, 3 CS300's and 1 RS400, my bike is apart and I'm still playing with the set up, but I like the fact you can fit 4 Hawgwired amps in the fairing and then use the remote to adjust them.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I voted Hawgwired....but there is a little explanation. The J&M amp is really an ARC which is good, I'm just not a fan of J&M speakers, (and yes I've had them). I like the Hawgwired amp, and there speakers are good, but I have Focal, Infinity, and Polk, (soon to be Focal) with my system, I feel the Focals are a better speaker. But, I love the Hawgwired amps, I currently have 4, 3 CS300's and 1 RS400, my bike is apart and I'm still playing with the set up, but I like the fact you can fit 4 Hawgwired amps in the fairing and then use the remote to adjust them.
Could you elaborate on the J&M speakers? I have the top Focals from their performance line in fairing and love them but can get a good deal on J&M for lowers, bags and subwoofer in bags. Interested in your opinion. I have a HW amp and would add the J&M 500w amp. Thanks.

·
Administrator
12,454 Posts
Could you elaborate on the J&M speakers? I have the top Focals from their performance line in fairing and love them but can get a good deal on J&M for lowers, bags and subwoofer in bags. Interested in your opinion. I have a HW amp and would add the J&M 500w amp. Thanks.

IMO the J&M speakers can be loud and clear, but lack crisp bass and sound tinny next to a good speaker. If you have the Focal PC series and put it next to a J&M you should be able to hear the difference, not to mention the Focal PC series can be had for a better price...... but that's my opinion, I know there are a lot of people who like the J&M, and I also think John is a good guy, I just happen to like a few other speakers better.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
The customer service from Hawg Wired is outstanding along with the RS400 amp. I wish I could say the same for J&M.

·
Registered
852 Posts
The Hawg Wired RS-400 amp IMO is the best $$$ 4 $$$ amp on the market today.

Match it with the Focals or HATS and you will have a GREAT sounding system at an affordable price

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
If you decide to go with Hawg Wired give Frank Drago of Dragos Bike Works a call. (815)765-1790.
Frank is a GREAT Guy!
He's a Hawg Wired Dealer and a Forum Sponsor.
Let him know that you are a Forum Member and he will take very good care of you.
Hope this helps!
Mike U.

·
Registered
852 Posts
speaker choice is what YOU like the sound of. The Focal's, HAT's, Hertz and Polk MM's and HW ZX's are all really good sounding speakers that sound a little bit different from each other. The JM speakers focuse more on volume than tone IMO and are clear at high volume but I am not crazy about the tone, but once again, that's my opinion. There are a lot of people that really like their JM speakers.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I'm a big fan of the J&M, posted Happy, Happy... in the J&M section.

No matter what components you choose, I highly recommend that you send the HK to Iron Cross Audio for f/r preamp outs, this will bypass the amplifier section of the HK, which has always sounded "muddy" to me. The f/r preamps will be the best $100 that you will ever spend on tunes for your shark!! garonteed!!!

ps: may as well have ICA install a rear aux too....

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to all for the feedback.
While thinking about different speakers I have to consider weather. There have been to many times I have gotten stuck in pouring rain on the road, so I have to consider that every year, the speakers will get wet!!
That is why I initially stayed away from car audio speakers.

yet something else to keep in mind :confused::confused:

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
I did not vote but I can tell you that my J&m rocker 250 amp just took a crap on me only about a year and a half old of course my warranty card is still with my paperwork so im eating it! but I ordered there new 250 amp just because I have there speakers and like them. I can tell you if I have a future problem with j&m all there stuff will go in the trash and I will be going a different route. GOOD LUCK with whatever way you end up going.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Thanks to all for the feedback.
While thinking about different speakers I have to consider weather. There have been to many times I have gotten stuck in pouring rain on the road, so I have to consider that every year, the speakers will get wet!!
That is why I initially stayed away from car audio speakers.
That is why I would Never install a Car speaker.
I did not vote but I can tell you that my J&m rocker 250 amp just took a crap on me only about a year and a half old of course my warranty card is still with my paperwork so im eating it!
Contact John about it. They are a Stand Up company. Should be able to work something out.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts