Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been browsing these forums for sometime. I have read a lot of great information... I am ready to do a couple mods to my 2012 RGC pipe, tuner, air filter etc. I am 48 yrs young been riding since age 5... First H.D. with a performance background. The biggest problem is there is so much aftermarket available for this machine everyone claims the best/better etc. etc. Will I had a fantastic conversation today with a fellow by the name of Dave G. at Vance & Hines this gentleman took his time (a solid hour) we discussed exhaust systems and there differences of the head pipes and mufflers then we discussed tuners of all the popular brands. In short this man knows his shit. He explained advantages that were minimal to the different tuners available all the time I totally felt he was 100% unbiased in his opinions. The only mod I have did to my bike is removal of the cat from the stock head pipe needless to say this inexpensive mod made a dramatic improvement in overall drivability of the motorcycle. I have to ride a heavily patrolled road with a speed limit of 35 mph daily if by accident I put the bike in 6th gear I had to kick it back out... after removal of the cat she chugs along just fine. With all that said I was ready to change exhaust head pipes and mufflers and tuner. Dave G. at Vance & Hines actually recommended mods be made in this order.
1. Throttlepak to open the throttle quicker than it does with the current throttle by wire... This he said will be the biggest bang for the buck 30 min to install and ride it for a bit...
2. Tuner and air filter mod... There Fuelpak is supper easy to install and adjust... Really very simple.
3. If your so inclined to change your exhaust and performance is most important the Power Duels head pipes are the the way to go more torque out of the gate and all the way through the power band... draw back is sound, due to the cross over chamber you do not get the vintage trade mark H.D. sound pulses separated and 70% of the flow and sound will come from the right muffler which is the path of least resistance... which is actually what I noticed when I removed the cat from the stock pipes. With that said if sound and increased performance (but not maximum) is most important the dresser duels are the way to go sound pulses will come from each individual pipe because there not joined together. I don't know about you all... But I have owned many fast motorcycles the H.D. is just a cruiser... I am not going to drag race it! And the 103 with the cat removed move my bike along just fine. So for those individuals out there that feel the same as me I am going to go the route recommended.... We will see how it goes... I was very impressed by what I heard and it simply made horse sense to me.... thought I would share.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I have to ride a heavily patrolled road with a speed limit of 35 mph daily if by accident I put the bike in 6th gear I had to kick it back out... after removal of the cat she chugs along just fine.
seriously? you putt in 6th gear at 35mph? you're gonna kill that bike doing that. at 35 mph, i'm in 3rd gear running about 2500 rpm, thats at the low end of the powerband.

sounds like you have your mind made up on the other stuff, there's a thousand different ways to get the same end result so not gonna say that your way is the 'wrong' way. i do have a v&h twin slash slip on (2-1) on my bike and am very happy with it.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
seriously? you putt in 6th gear at 35mph? you're gonna kill that bike doing that. at 35 mph, i'm in 3rd gear running about 2500 rpm, thats at the low end of the powerband.

sounds like you have your mind made up on the other stuff, there's a thousand different ways to get the same end result so not gonna say that your way is the 'wrong' way. i do have a v&h twin slash slip on (2-1) on my bike and am very happy with it.
"... 6th gear at 35mph..." :eek: :eek: I wonder how low the oil pressure is!!!!

Read the manual SlowGuy, PLEASE read the manual man, no joke.

Edit to Add; I'm really not trying to stomp on 'ya at all SlowGuy but you're new to HD, especially a modern HD, so if it's important then I'll holler TO you, not at you.

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol speed limit is 35... probably running 42 when I have shifted into 6th... and really after the cat is removed low 40's in 6th is a non issue with the 103 it really don't care what gear it's in most of the time. with the cat in place accidentally slipping into 6th would result in immediately returning to 5th... non the less... try to appreciate some good info from a very knowledgeable individual and a brand that has been around for a very long time... personally i'm not easily impressed very often and i think there are a lot of guys just like myself around wondering what to do because the 103 is pathetic with the cats in place... my bike is totally acceptable and performs decently (for what it is) investment was was around 6 bucks to wake it up. i have 167hp sitting next to it in the garage if i feel that need... the RG is not a race bike... at least for me.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
you're right, the hd is not a race bike. but by the same token, just cause you have 6 gears doesn't mean that you have to use them all every ride. your bike will be much happier if you keep it between 2500-3000 rpms when cruising. if that means 2nd or 3rd gear, so be it. the bottom end on these engines are not as strong as they used to be, you can do some serious damage lugging the engine. and running 42 mph in 6th gear is definitely lugging the engine.

·
Super Moderator
12,349 Posts
OP, not trying to be critical, but doesn't it seem a little strange that a "unbiased" Vance & Hines guy recommended all V&H products? I don't have anything against them, I've owned some of their exhaust, just doesn't seem to unbiased IMO. Also doing 42 in 6th, just seems strange, you don't have to race, but the engine runs a lot better in the normal operating rpms, and will be more efficient.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I really think you guys TOTALLY missed the point... The point I was trying to make is maybe your 600-1200 exhaust is not all you really think it is in your minds maybe just remove the cat and see if your happy.... unless you really want the noise there are other options if not better options. if your noise is that important to you... well ROCK ON!

·
Registered
601 Posts
The local dealer had done several dyno's with the catted header and decatted headers and the biggest difference i saw was 4 hp and 3 tq. Biggest factor was the decrease in heat.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I picked up the '09 SERG this past June, the previous owner had installed the V&H PowerDuals, Roland Sands Design Mufflers, and Fuel Pak. I installed the Throttle Pak.

IMO the system runs great, looks and sounds good.

The only reason that I am changing from the Fuel Pak & Throttle Pak is that I am installing the Screamn' Eagle Stage III or Stage IV kits and the V&H does not have "maps" that will accomodate these upgrades on a 110.

The pipes that make the absolute best power are predominatly 2 into 1, there are trade-offs in the looks and the sound. For me, the PowerDuals/RSD mufflers fit the bill all around.

Since you are already "de-catted" you might just pick out some mufflers, a tuner and air cleaner or put a K&N element in your stock/modified housing

·
Super Moderator
12,349 Posts
Well I really think you guys TOTALLY missed the point... The point I was trying to make is maybe your 600-1200 exhaust is not all you really think it is in your minds maybe just remove the cat and see if your happy.... unless you really want the noise there are other options if not better options. if your noise is that important to you... well ROCK ON!
You should make your point more clear then. And just how much is the V&H? I paid $650 for a total exhaust that is ceramic coated and stepped, and has been tested to perform. And yes, the noise is important to me, I like the sound, otherwise I'd stay stock and lug my engine to make sure nobody could hear me. :D

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
LMAO. Finally, a bit of horse sense, upside down that is. Somebody certainly has "...TOTALLY missed the point"(s) <plural. We're also in agreement about "...ROCK ON!"

BTW - I think your nickname is a good choice too.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
dragos is awesome pipe, I'd like to see 4" muffler tips, but everyone has something to complain about, that's mine, 4" tips look badder

V&H are good, they certainly have enough experience

I only have a VH slip on right now, does all I want it to, but is starting to need repacing

slowguy, if you need a noise flexible pipe, check out the "patriot defenders"
posted above, level adjustable, and you can add a universal choke kit to make adjustments on the fly, when they're wide open, very loud, almost too loud, and can also sound "stock" can be run without or without re-calibration if you leave your intake alone, $325 shipped $100 more for black with chrome shields, come in either shorty or long boy versions

no shame in having a bike tuned, or having a tuner, jaime, frank and doc all sound like great people to work with, lugging doesn't sound like a FT solution

kinda determined black "defenders" with chrome shields give you the most set up options, and and you can attenuate, when riding through old money-ville - or need it quiet, and half the price of others

I'd just leave it at 3/4 to 7/8 open and have fun

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Be cool boys your rude comments are not good for the forum... Ain't nobody got time for your crap.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts