Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Shark of the Month October 13
11,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just heard about his yesterday - 4,000 Bentleys, Porsches, and Audis burn at sea. They're not saying (yet) that it was an battery electric model that caused the fire, but they did say that they had to abandon the ship and let it burn because of the BEVs ... they didn't have the right equipment or correctly trained staff to be able to deal with a fire fueled by large lithium battery packs. I have a cousin who is waiting on a 2022 Porsche 911 GT3 Touring and he was contacted by the dealer and was told that his car was not on that ship, which is what my cousin had figured because his forecasted delivery date isn't for 3-4 more months. The GT3s and GT3 Touring were already selling for $50-100k over sticker before this happened. On top of that, Motor Trend just announced that the 911 GT3 is their 2022 Performance Vehicle of the Year. That'll likely allow those who do have, or will get one in the next 6 months to re-sell it for even larger premiums. I'm sure that some of these $165-210k cars will likely be sold for $350-400k in the months ahead. For that kind of money, I'm sure my cousin will flip his. More proof that it's often better to be lucky than good!

Ship Carrying 1,100 Porsches and Other Luxury Cars Is Burning and Adrift - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Reactions: Zedbra

·
Registered
9,553 Posts
I'm on a forum for the RAM trucks as I have a new one, but I've been seeing that people are buying the $100k 700+hp RAM TRX truck at dealer boosted prices and turning around and flipping them for even more money and actually making a profit. Prices for used vehicles is through the roof as is the available new car prices. The old saying goes, if you want to play you gotta pay

Reactions: Bruce00

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
Not a car on that ship was on it's way to me. just not my style.. The ford we just purchsed will do just fine

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
I'm on a forum for the RAM trucks as I have a new one, but I've been seeing that people are buying the $100k 700+hp RAM TRX truck at dealer boosted prices and turning around and flipping them for even more money and actually making a profit. Prices for used vehicles is through the roof as is the available new car prices. The old saying goes, if you want to play you gotta pay
UF, you just heard about this yesterday? :LOL:

You must have really slow interweb speeds down your way:LOL::LOL::unsure:😱

·
Registered
109 Posts
Bringing this discussion back to supply/demand imbalance for Harley’s, a dealer sales manager told me a buddy of his called complaining that a dealer in another market was asking and not budging off $55k for the steel blue RG CVO. The guy wanted to know if my dealer (the guy I was talking to) could beat that price. He told the guy if he wanted it, he better go buy it, because theirs is priced at $60k. Sounds nuts to me, but I guess they squeeze whatever the market will bear. I will keep my 2020 FLTRX thank you very much! Are you guys hearing similar stories?

He also told me that Harley can’t get some components (or enough of them) for the ABS to function, so they are either slowing production, or may start selling bikes without ABS that would otherwise have it. Crazy times right now.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Bringing this discussion back to supply/demand imbalance for Harley’s, a dealer sales manager told me a buddy of his called complaining that a dealer in another market was asking and not budging off $55k for the steel blue RG CVO. The guy wanted to know if my dealer (the guy I was talking to) could beat that price. He told the guy if he wanted it, he better go buy it, because theirs is priced at $60k. Sounds nuts to me, but I guess they squeeze whatever the market will bear. I will keep my 2020 FLTRX thank you very much! Are you guys hearing similar stories?

He also told me that Harley can’t get some components (or enough of them) for the ABS to function, so they are either slowing production, or may start selling bikes without ABS that would otherwise have it. Crazy times right now.
Even a few years ago I learned to not go to dealers where a certain item for sale is popular. Jeeps near the beach, mountains, or snow country. Almost everything close to major cities, unless the stripped base mode.

Market demand has always been around. You have to pay to play, which is why I will never own a CVO or a Jeep.

·
Registered
7,012 Posts

They can keep them.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Huh? Who said I just heard about it yesterday?
LOL, I had UF quoted, to stir him

AND
I quoted you to say some guys in old truck club, bought those TRX, drove for a few thousand miles, then sold and made 10K to 15K $$$$.

I was in a hurry to leave this morning, and I never replied to your post about those badass trucks
Or I did
Or I did, but not right

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
Just a few days ago they were saying the ship was not in danger of sinking. OOPs

Salvage cost just went up big time

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Our local fire department had to let a Tesla burn to the ground last summer as they also don't have the proper gear and training for the lithium battery fires.
We had an extrication from one yesteerday.... a few of us went to a training last year and put together a book on the different EV vehicles. Where to cut and where note to cut and any fire.

Reactions: Bruce00

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
Seems while towing it

The Portuguese navy confirmed that it sank in a location outside of Portugal's territorial waters that is over two miles deep.

Seems like a good place to park if you don't want much evidence found.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Seems while towing it

The Portuguese navy confirmed that it sank in a location outside of Portugal's territorial waters that is over two miles deep.

Seems like a good place to park if you don't want much evidence found.
I read, that there was a fire, it was fought and under control.
The fire was then put out and "then" the crew abandoned the ship????

I dont know the rules of fighting a fire onboard a ship, but I would think after the fire is put out and the ship was "thought" to be safe from sinking.......You would want the crew aboard.
There was acouple articles on this ship in Car & Driver online and they reported the ship wasn't in danger of sinking.
They also reported there were EV cars burning

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.