Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gone down the flow chart in the diagnostic manual and cannot stop my 04 from blowing fuses.

Found a short in the fairing, cleaned it up. Fixed the pin problem in the 12 pin connector. Changed the speedo. Keeps blowing the fuse.

Any other ideas?

Chuck

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Well it is a Canadian bike, and there is a mess of wires, they seem to fray at the center pull thru and color coding is hard to tell from brown to purple, I'd spect cutting a zip tie and checking for ground against the frame member

·
Registered
389 Posts
After you make sure you have checked for shorts, you might try bumping the fuse size by one.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
After you make sure you have checked for shorts, you might try bumping the fuse size by one.
Going up in fuse size is not a good idea! Doing this will not fix the problem, one of 2 things will happen, either the oversized fuse will blow or if it doesn't blow there is a good chance that the wires will melt.
Obviously there is a problem, best way to find it is to unplug one accessory function at a time and see if the fuse does or doesn't blow. Remember just because the problem seems to be under the fairing it doesn't mean it is, there can be other locations such as down under the fuel tank in the wire tray for example.
A service manual has wiring diagrams that may help you troubleshoot this problem :wink:

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
If you can watch it blow, you got some tracing to do

If ya go to the next 5 fuse up, could just smell trace

But not knowing what's been added, and you think no harm, but you know if you added more draw

Seen inside some where the wires are shaved wires to ck and leave bare

They made assorted candy fuses when they stopped wrappin gum in foil paper

We ant even going back to putting a copper penny in it

·
Registered
389 Posts
Going up in fuse size is not a good idea! Doing this will not fix the problem, one of 2 things will happen, either the oversized fuse will blow or if it doesn't blow there is a good chance that the wires will melt.
Obviously there is a problem, best way to find it is to unplug one accessory function at a time and see if the fuse does or doesn't blow. Remember just because the problem seems to be under the fairing it doesn't mean it is, there can be other locations such as down under the fuel tank in the wire tray for example.
A service manual has wiring diagrams that may help you troubleshoot this problem :wink:
Generally one bump in fuse size will not burn up the wiring, like going from a 5 to 7 amp fuse. Higher resistance in the connections/wiring over time can cause fuses to blow. I certainly would not recommend a 10 amp jump in fuse size, more like a 20% increase should not cause a flaming wire. If it blows them you have got a short for sure.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Had the same problem on my 04.
On the front of the neck there is a small metal "post" I assume is a mounting point for wiring harness strap which on mine was never installed or broke and fell off. It rubbed through a wire and ground it out. Didn't want to remove inner fairing at the time so I was able to get an 1/8th inch thick piece of rubber in there to cover the post and got a wire tie on it. That was 3yrs and roughly 18000 miles ago and no more blown fuses. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the pointers. It's a 15 amp fuse in the instrument circuit. I will pull the fairing again and check all the wires deeper in the hole tomorrow. I've added nothing to the circuit but it does include the diagnostic part of the ecm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had to post because I just had the same issue on my 04. Turned out the problem was under the speedo and tach. There is a large bundle of wires that we're getting cut by the wind deflector that is bolted to the triple tree. I repaired the bad spot and tied the wire bundle to the side. No more problem. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had this problem on my 1998. Turned out that the insulation on one of the wires inside the nacelle had frayed, and grounded against the neck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts