Road Glide banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was 315 pounds 6’2” took pills and injected insulin.... I ate “normal” food sometime’s I went without food and my A1C was still in the 9 range.. My endocrinologist put me on more insulin. I was injecting myself 4 times a day with 2 types of insulin..

I am 42 years old I was devistated when I was placed on insulin. When they increased my dosage and was provided a huge brown paper bag filled with insulin for a month I had to do something..... But what?

A neighbor that was a T1 diabetic she recently had started this KETO diet and was having nice initial results, and shared a few books she had read.

6 months later I am down to 245 pounds my last A1C was 5.8, my lab work came back across the board great. My energy levels are off the charts high.Insulin is no longer mandatory, I take it if “I need it”. There is discussion of removing pills or reducing greatly.

What is KETO. In short it’s a lifestyle not a diet. I am just a guy. I make no claims of knowing it all and heck I may have some “details” wrong. KETO is eating foods high infat, low carb,medium protein.

Gone are the prepared foods....... Now daily it is grass fed beef, bacon, avacodos,eggs, amazing flavors of home cooked food. My wife is also doing KETO and has had witnessed amazing results as a non-diabetic.

Daily breakfast is a bulletproof coffee.. consisting of coffee, grass fed butter,mct oil blended and it’s amazing! This alone keeps me going to dinner if need be!
Lunch 1/2 - 1 whole avocado 2 slices of bacon and a slice of turkey.. typically I do not even eat it all!

My work life I used to have to literally plan my day around “lunch”.... Now I can do lunch whenever I want, gone are those lows of being so hungry I NEED anything no more snacks at all! KETO your body uses fats as fuels and even at 245# I still have lots of fuel on board!

Dinner my wife and I rarely cooked we typically ate out or ordered in. Primarily as we were horrible cooks! KETO meals are simple and typically very flavorful! We do have some favorites but weekly we are trying something new...

My blood sugar currently averages 107 I use a CGM to monitor it and have found it very helpful when starting up as for a while my BS was averaging in the 70’s while adjusting insulin... Not having to take insulin has been it’s on mental and physical bump!

If you are struggling and not sure where to turn let’s chat about KETO
Aaron

·
Shark of the Month October 13
8,105 Posts
I haven't read up on the KETO program. I only know what I hear anecdotally. I'm Type 2 but under control with just Metformin and watching my diet. I was typically 5.2 - 5.7 A!C. but it spiked at 9.3 last Sept. I now have it down to 4.7 with testing every 3-4 days, I'm 90-112. My concern with the KETO diet (probably from lack of knowledge) is all the fat from protein. I'm more worried about my heart issues than I am the diabetes, and I can't see how the KETO thing fits in with a heart healthy diet with al the protein and animal fats. Enlighten me please ....

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
How does the Kato differ from the Atkins ? Both I believe are high in fats and low to no carbs.
I remember Dr.Atkins saying that the weight you lose ,off sets the fat you consume and is actually good for your heart. Most doctors back the didn't like a high fat diet, but as I always say, the doctor is just practicing.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yeah Type 2 here, diet can be the key to A1C under 7, I know that when I slip like around holidays I pay on the A1C scale. I still eat some carbs but basically no sugar, longer digesting carbs are a good solution. I find rye bread seems to not spike my sugar. Pretty much you are what you eat! LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts