Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2018 RGS to the dealer I bought it from to do the 1k service and store it for the winter. We were BS'ing and I mentioned I wanted to install new bars, he tells me that's one of the "specials" they were going to be running some time in the winter. I told him I'd be looking at KST Kustoms, LA Choppers or Factory 47's all 12" apes and with the sharp bend, he said yeah that's like a 12 hour job so be aware...I said 12 hours, really, then why is it that every video and people I've talked to says it's 3-4 hour job and I can use all my factory cables and lines, all he could say was "well it's a tough job just letting you know". I don't know if they just don't do a lot of them or just full of shit!

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I save up mods and do them at the same time so I only take the bike apart once.

If you think you might add any lighting upgrades, or other electronics up front, or heated grips, etc. do it at the same time. Throw in some accessory switches while you are at it

My dealer quoted several hours to change out bars as well. It is about $2000 out of pocket when all done. I am fine with the stock bars.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
My dealer was 2 hours. $212.50 for 12" Factory 47 Signature Bars on a 2018 RGS.
Same here. They quoted me 9 hours. I said I'll do it myself unless they would do it for that price. They were doing my chrome lowers and progressive monotubes already so the bars were already off.

I did a set of Road13s on my wifes cousin bike I an hour and a half.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The dealers must think everybody is stupid! On the older bikes where you had to de pin everything and lengthen wires took a bit longer.

These new bikes are so dead simple with the small connectors, extra wire and quite a bit of extra clutch and brake line.

Most guys with some basic tools and a little mechanical knowledge can swap bars out in a couple hours.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I will say my F47 12" took me about three hours to get the wiring threaded, first time I have tried such a thing and I was being a little stupid. Rest of the job was less than an hour. When I finished I realized I had forgotten to try anything to do anything to lube the connectors. I redid the clutch side when I put the heated grips on. Used windex and it took me less than an hour.

My dealer tried to scare me saying all the stupid angles they have seen the hydraulics coming out on and pinched wires, blah blah blah. Then they saw my bike and said it was a pretty clean instal with the grips.

Dealers want to make you think there is magic involved or something.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Like everyone else here, 2-3 hours. This 18 RGS is my first Shark and I was nervous about changing the bars since I have always have a batwing fairing prior to. Those take 4-5 hours to swap bc you are pulling the entire fairing off to do the job. BUT, the Shark was so damn easy I am glad I did it myself and it did only take 2 hours for me. Plus, it was a great first date for the Shark and me to get acquainted.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
These dealers talk so much shit it's not funny, have the salesman don't even know options on a bike, I got a broad down at my local HD dealer and she knows jack shit about what she sells, really pathetic , learn and educate yourself before you open your mouth.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Dealers in my area typically quote eight hours, which is nuts for a simple bar swap, especially on a RG where you don’t have to mess with the fairing. I’ve done a few over the years and it takes me three hours taking my time with a beer break. You have to remember, there are plenty of people who don’t own as much as a screwdriver and dealers know this, so it’s easy to convince them that it’s a complex operation when it’s really quite simple. Dealers always seem say you need to change the lines for some reason no matter what bars you’re installing.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
The dealer gave me the same crap to install Klockwerks Klip hanger bars. Gave me a price for 8 hours. I went to an indy shop. He did it for $150.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
THIS is what I fucking hate about Harley Dealers. As if the bikes, parts and t-shirts aren't already overpriced, then they try to bend you over again by blatantly lying right to your face. I know there are some good, honest dealers out there, but they are too few and far between.

I am not mechanically inclined at all, but I put on my bars in under 3 hrs. The only reason it took that long was that I was purposefully going slow and methodical, and I spent at least an hour just trying to de-pin the damn Molex connector with about a half dozen paperclips. If I had the proper de-pinning tool, 2 hrs max... by myself.

I wouldn't let my dealer touch my bike if it was on fire in their parking lot. Fucking scum bag, lying asshats. Sorry for the rant, I just hate when I keep reading stories like this about untrustworthy businesses. And they wonder why sales are down?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts