Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took in my 2012 Road Glide Ultra for a 45K miles service, getting ready to head out for a long trip in Canada in July. Found that I needed a new front stabilizer motor mount, fix a transmission shaft leak, replace leaky exhaust seals, front wheel bearings are shot. This is the most expensive motorcycle I have ever owned up and it is sad to see that it just doesn't hold up as well as my several previous non - HD bikes did. All of them had over 50K miles with no issues since I tend to ride my bikes. I'll put out the $$$$ for the repairs but this won't help me choose another H-D in the future. Just my opinion. The motor is stock and the bike has been well cared for. I'll wait and see what else they find when they open it up for the tranny shaft seal...

·
Registered
896 Posts
My 2005 has 41,000 miles on it. That too just went in for tranny leaks. They replaced the quad seal, 5th gear seal, and shifter seal while they were in there. Plus one of the races. Must be 40,000 is the magic number for seal failure.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Yea, the HDs aren't inexpensive to purchase or maintain. Even though I don't have it anymore, I've always came out way ahead on purchasing ESP

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I used to think it was expensive to service and maintain my HD as well, and I do 90% of my own work. Then I bought a BMW. Parts and service costs were notably higher. If you want a shock, call a BMW dealer and ask them how much it costs to replace a clutch on a 1200RT. IIRC, labor time is 13 hours... :eek:

Then there are all the "normal" services that have to be done, that Harley doesn't even have. Syncing the carbs, adjusting the valves, power bleeding the brakes, final drive (differential) service, etc. One of the reasons I sold the Beemer was the cost of maintenance...

·
Registered
2018 RoadGlide
1,564 Posts
l had an 03 VTX 1800, rode it like I stole it, changed the oil, put new tires on, bet RIDE I ever had on a bike. For what I spent on my FLTRX, I shouldn't have to put $1200 into new suspension to get a decent ride.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
l had an 03 VTX 1800, rode it like I stole it, changed the oil, put new tires on, bet RIDE I ever had on a bike. For what I spent on my FLTRX, I shouldn't have to put $1200 into new suspension to get a decent ride.
Roger that. Love or hate HD, you have to admire their marketing. They sell you an incomplete motorcycle, and give you the only free thing you'll get from them. A free phonebook thick catalogue, full of parts to "finish" your new purchase.

That said, this one one of the things I missed when I owned the BMW. Seats and windshields were almost the only things that were available to upgrade or change...

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I have said since i got rid of my 01 and got this 12,biggest mistake i have made in a long time,the ride on this 12 is shit compared to my 89 FLHS,and as stated before you shouldnt have to put big money in upgrades for suspension if Victory ever made a bike as sexy as the road glide i would get one and NO the Vision is not sexy,although the Road Glide is Fugly the vision is just BUTT ASS UGLY.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
People are always going to complain about the cost to maintain and service their vehicle. I worked in a few Ford dealerships for a while and it would amaze me the number of people who just did not want to spend the money to repair or service their vehicle. Some models cost more than others. Just like our motorcycles do. If you do like your Harley that much then sell the damn thing and go buy a Honda. I personally enjoy my Road Glide and wouldn't trade it for anything other than another Road Glide. But I guess I have been luckier than most as I have not had any MAJOR issues with my bike.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
People are always going to complain about the cost to maintain and service their vehicle. I worked in a few Ford dealerships for a while and it would amaze me the number of people who just did not want to spend the money to repair or service their vehicle. Some models cost more than others. Just like our motorcycles do. If you do like your Harley that much then sell the damn thing and go buy a Honda. I personally enjoy my Road Glide and wouldn't trade it for anything other than another Road Glide. But I guess I have been luckier than most as I have not had any MAJOR issues with my bike.
Having to upgrade the suspension is not part of service and maintenance,and as far as buying a honda looks like you already have.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
No but upgrading your suspension is a personal thing. I know many people who ride on their stock suspension and are happy with it. So that is your choice.

Yep that Honda is a quad not quite the same thing.

·
Registered
878 Posts
We were on VTXOA at same time (Go Packers :D ) Owned 2005 vtx1300 and 2003 VTX1800. Miss the 1800 the most. I kept 1800 after getting RGU, then stupidly sold it (2 in college). Don't get me wrong I like the RGU, first tourer I have owned, but with you, for a fraction of the cost could have turned the 1800 into a tourer. Both VTXs were made in US, both only required minimum maint (oil, brake pads, etc..). I've made my choice and will stick with it (for now). No flames please, I do love my RG, but dammit HD, for the cost build a better bike.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I don't have the miles you do, 28,300 on mine, but I have never had to repair one thing on my Glide. It has never used a drop of oil, and has never had a leak. Only thing maintenance wise I have had to do is tires and brake pads. She has been flawless so far!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
No but upgrading your suspension is a personal thing. I know many people who ride on their stock suspension and are happy with it. So that is your choice.

Yep that Honda is a quad not quite the same thing.
A honda is a honda in my book:D

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I guess a stock suspension is okay if one never rides two up fully load for a week on the road,the stock short air shocks on the RG custom just isn't up for the task,i replaced mine with the HD adjustable shocks,better than the air shocks at least they wont bottom out when riding two up loaded with gear.

·
Registered
10,373 Posts
I don't have the miles you do, 28,300 on mine, but I have never had to repair one thing on my Glide. It has never used a drop of oil, and has never had a leak. Only thing maintenance wise I have had to do is tires and brake pads. She has been flawless so far!
+1 . The op must not have requested a Wednesday bike and ended up with a Friday bike, or is that a Monday bike ? :eek:

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
My 01 RG was never in the shop for any warranty work.In the 11 years i owned it, the only time i had any problem was after i made it a 95 inch and had trouble with the fuel injection and tuner(early power commander)now this 12 is a different story,6 times in the first 5 months,motor was apart at 1500 miles for an oil leak,it now has 23,500 on it and haven't had an issue since.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.