Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For a number of reasons I have decided to convert my King and slap a Road Glide fairing on it. It will not be afull conversion as the King console and speedo will remain untouched, but I have always liked being a little different from the herd anyhow. I like looking at threads with pictures, so mine tend to be picture heavy. I just received the last of my parts and will mock up soon prior to paint.

I will start things off with some before pictures of my 2005 FLHRCI (Yes, is really started as a Road King Classic)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The most important part for the conversion arrived yesterday. Sinister inner fairing for 6x9 speakers and no gauge holes.

The grills I chose that will be painted to match

Off the bike it seems to pair up to a stock outer fairing real well

More to follow as progress continues.......

Adam

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool plan. I'm currently planning a conversion to a Roadking fuel tank and console so I can ditch the fugly speedo/tach pod.

Subscribed.
Always thought it was interesting the '12 CVO's had a king style tank on them....not sure bought the '13's.

Sinister has a nacelle if you will that is gauge pod less. I like the gauge pod and feel it fills the gap nicely so I am going that route.

Plus I really like that I don't need to disconnect my clutch, brake and wiring nor remove the handle bars to get the HD setup on my bike.

Adam

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did some fitting and mock-up last night. Went together well. One issue I assumed I would run into is the King keyed fork lock in sitting down inside where the Glide ignition knob would be. Thought about lifting it up to sit correctly, but likely would not allow lock to function. I will verify that tonight. Plenty of room in there for a standard sized amp or more speakers.....hmmm, not immediately anyhow. Outer and inner fit together well, but I have some minor sanding to do in a couple spots to make them mate as I feel they should.

Some tear down shots....

Couple inner shots of the inner fairing

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As stated earlier I like the look of the clam-shell gauge pod and how it fills the gap.....I thought of putting speakers in it for awhile, but I couldn't find any speakers that I would be able to rationalize putting in there do to the size requirements. So even though it is redundant it certainly looks the part, so I decided to run dual tachs in that spot. I like the way it looks and am happy with my decision.

Here is what the cockpit view will be

And a couple shots of the outer on

I will have to flip my mirrors back up normal when I do final assembly, but didn't feel like moving them just for mock up. I am going to start using my real camera as I am not trilled with the outcome of these phone camera pictures.

More to come....

Adam

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Can't wait to see this done... Now I'm gonna give an opinion, which really don't mean shit, but I don't really like the idea of the dual tachometers. I like your previous idea of using the sinister gaugeless nacelle, but again that's just my $.02 and I'll be following along regardless.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah....the dual tachs haven't gotten much warm and fuzzy feedback from the riding buddies either, but that's usually a sign that I am headed in the right direction...LMFAO

Adam

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nice work. I did an ex-cop King to Road Glide conversion this year. Part of my mission was to rid the bike of the goofy cop wiring and hand controls, so I just went ahead and stripped all the old wiring off the bike, and re-wired it with a civilian main and interconnect harness. That way, I got my radio hand controls (finally).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did some fitting and sanding last night. I got the inner and outer to mate as best as they are going to. I am content. Trial fit the speakers to ensure alignment and what not. they will go in from under which works best tweeter to grill clearance wise. I will need to add a gasket to make them seal best.

The rear support bracket will not line up for anything. I got a Drag hidden type, but it will never work without some cutting and welding. Today I ordered the Hell's Foundry internal fairing support. 1st run is in production right now. I was surprised it was sub $165 shipped, but pleasantly surprised. If that one doesn't line up for whatever reason, then it will be much easier to mod, or at least show me better what it needs to happen to make it work where it is in between the inner and outer.

Lots of pondering last night on two-tone line for the fairing. Things I weighted were the fact that I do not like the look of color matched headlight bezels unless they are on black bikes. Looking around the web I have noticed the apparent size of the fairing can differ greatly based on paint scheme. I cam up with something simple that will flow with the existing paint and gives the fairing a more aggressive look.

I have some adjust-ability in the fairing height up and down do to slots in the radio caddy and the inner fairing. In that picture it sits the lowest which is where I hope to keep it. Tonight before I pull it apart I will take it off the lift and give her some big bounces to make sure nothing will make contact with the fender.

Spoke with the painter that did my bike finally after a couple left messages since I started ordering parts. Says he can start on it mid next week. I won't hold my breath, but I will get my parts to him likely Friday so the ball will be in his court.

HD inner fairing would have been cake, but everyone has one of those.

Adam

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I really love the Mean Mug. Where I knew I would be getting stuff painted soon and the possibility of getting a real one anytime soon was impossible I set out to see if I could make something similar.

I ordered some black ABS and set to heating bending, swearing, and forming.

Simply bends are no sweat

Compound bend via heating holding cooling gets interesting...

A little trimming and this is where it stands. I could not get as crisp a bend as I had hoped for.

Pretty close, but certainly not the same thing. I am worried about fastening the two. I has ABS cement, epoxy, and have also watched many a Youtube video on plastic welding. I have decided to leave the bezel alone at this time and just get the real thing when the list reopens some time down the road. That was an adventure, but I do not regret the attempt.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Since this is a build page I will include a post on my plate relocation bracket. I run a 2010 FLTRX 2-1 on my 2005 bike. So I put my plate under my left bag a few years ago. 2 summers ago my plate fell off due to the the bracket mount breaking. a month ago I lost my plate and bracket because the muffler support metal that I attached my new bracket to broke off the bike. Someone decided they wanted my plate this time and picked it up off the road before I could look for it. Needless to say I have a new plate and need a new bracket.

I held the plate up where it needed to be. Noted what had to be done to make a tab to utilize the two bolts that hold the saddle bag support to the rear bumper/fender support. I traced the plate and added the necessary tab onto cardboard.

Cut it out and held it in place to check clearances and visibility as I tucked it towards the wheel as much as I could this time so the self-clearancing in corners would not take so long (hmmm.....wonder why it kept falling off)

New bracket will be out of 1/8" stainless. Drilling stainless is really not fun for a single 3/16" hole. So for 4 5/16" holes and 2 3/8" I decided our family owned home building company was due to own a plasma cutter. Wow, does that work slick. Cut the holes, cut the outline, sanded the edge, bent mounting tab to desired angle, and 20 minutes later the bracket was complete and installed.

Seeing my taillights are in my bags adding a plate light under the bag when I first moved the plate was no issue. there is a 5 LED strip under the left bag and it is very bright. You can probably see my plate before my taillights (joking). I need to spin the light so it is more centered over the plate's new more wheel-ward location.

Adam

1 - 20 of 23 Posts