Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help Forum. I am 5'8" and want to purchase a Klock Werks windshield. I am thinking 8" or 12". The problem I am having is, which one will work best for me base on my height. Forum, can you provide some feedback base on who have faced similar circumstances pertaining to my height and which windshield will work best? Also, keep in mind, I am thinking about the 2-3" you are supposed to have when from the top of the windshield when riding. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide. Have a happy road-glide day.

·
Registered
331 Posts
8,in. Klock Werks will provide fairley good protection until about 70mph for me, Im 5-10
Madstad provides much better protection from the wind and is adj. but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Just purchased a Klock Werke 12in. and will let you know how it is in 2wks. when I get back in town. My Madstad is used more than the Klock Werks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
concreteman,
Thanks for the feedback, let me know how the 12"KW works for you. I will also look at the Madstad. Thanks again.

·
Registered
454 Posts
concreteman,
Thanks for the feedback, let me know how the 12"KW works for you. I will also look at the Madstad. Thanks again.
I tried a Cee Bailey and wasn't happy with it but I'll sum up what I've read and experienced.

Curves and hips, Klock Werks/Cee Bailey: Hit and miss but more miss on the Klock Werks side. Cee Bailey has more pull back towards the rider and probably helps more than the flip Klock Werks uses but for me still a lot of wind noise.

Balance of looks and performance: Bar none is the Windvest and it's many copiers.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but boy it works!: Madstad outperforms all. At 5'8" get the 11in. dark smoke and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
7 Posts
12" clockwerks flare.

I am 5' 8" like u and have the 12" clockwerks flare. I'm very happy with this windshield personally. I combined it with the glide air deflectors and triple tree deflector. From me this works quite well. Madstad is the way to go from what I've heard but I just can't get over the looks of it. We've ridden 700+ miles over the last couple weekends and wouldn't change a thing. Good luch with your progress.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have had the 12" on my RGU, and I am 5' 10". It was below my chin, I looked over it nicely, and it kicked the wind up over my head so I had no buffeting of my helmet, but clean air in my face. I switched to a 13 1/3" Cee Bailey and still look over it and have better protection with that height for me, so, maybe the 12" will be the right fit for you being 5' 8".

John

·
Administrator
12,454 Posts
Haven't done the Klockwerks, but I've looked at it, and I feel the same as some others about the Madstad looks, though I must say it looks better in person. I had a 12" Wind splitter and loved it, I actually like having some wind. Now I have a 12" LRS Mako, hated it at first, thought it blocked too much wind, but love it for the stereo and rain, doesn't look too bad either. ........ just another one to think about, I'm 5'8" also.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I hated the stock shield. I'm 5'7". I started with a good deal on a 16" KW. It put the edge at eye level, similar to stock. But I loved the way the KW moved the wind. So I tried a 12" KW. The top edge is below head level. At "Round Town" speeds, I get some wind in my face. bit at highway speeds ot is deflected over my head. The radio could be heard without an amp, but just bearly. when I added a Hawg Wired amp, I hear it clearly at highway speed at half volume. I'll stick with 12" (tinted).

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Have had the 8 inch on the bike now for a couple years and i like the clear wind it gives (5'9"). That beeen said even with 500 watts i loose the tunes once i get up to Hwy speed, i can still hear but not clear as i would like. So have looked at maybe getting the 12 for doing long trips. Around town and 2 day trips 8 is it

Attachments

·
Registered
380 Posts
I don't know if this will help, but I'm 6'3" and I'm running the 15" Klock Werks Windshield. This Height works for me. I had the 12" HD Windsplitter, and it did nothing.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Im 5'10 and i have a 12 inch med tint. I like it and the med tint is good at night you dont loose youre headlights low beam in the shield like with a darker one. I also have a 13 inch madstad dark tint. The madstad protects better but lost all my low beams at night.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I need some help Forum. I am 5'8" and want to purchase a Klock Werks windshield. I am thinking 8" or 12". The problem I am having is, which one will work best for me base on my height. Forum, can you provide some feedback base on who have faced similar circumstances pertaining to my height and which windshield will work best? Also, keep in mind, I am thinking about the 2-3" you are supposed to have when from the top of the windshield when riding. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide. Have a happy road-glide day.
Did you ever find the right shield for yourself? Because everyone is built different, many times two people the same height may find one size of the FLARE works better for them. It's difficult to rely on others for feedback on the correct shield. The correct way to find your shield on a 98-13 FLTR is to sit on the bike in riding position and have an assistant measure from the rubber strip up. You want your shields tip to fall between your lip and nose. Where ever that measurement falls for you is the shield you would want to get. For example, if you measure it out and between your lip and nose is 14' you would want a 14' shield! Hope this helps anyone looking at our Original FLARE!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts