Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I'm interested in a new windshield . I like the looks of the Klock Werks shield. I am 5'-10" tall and don't know whether to go with the 8" or 12" flare. I want to be able to look over the top but I don't want the wind noise I want to hear the radio without turning it up all the way. Will the 8" deflect the wind over my head? I currently have the stock 4" on it now. Thanks for any input .

·
Registered
345 Posts
I had the 8inch shield. I'm 6' and slouch a bit. The wind used to hit me in my face, about eye level. It didn't bother me, however, I broke that shield. You'll see over it with no problem. I think it's the best looking shield out there. I went from that to a 12 Windvest. At highway speeds I like to hear my tunes, I couldn't do that with the Klockwerks. It does do one thing very well, create downforce. Even though I have the Windvest I'm still considering another 8inch. I just really liked the looks of it. Besides, I wear a helmet & have an amp and speakers now.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I'm about 6 ft tall and use a 9in klockwerks unless I'm going on a trip. I can hear my tunes at highway speeds but that's a whole other thread. You won't hear your music with an 8" without significant audio upgrades. Plenty of photos on here of 8, 9, and taller screens.

Good luck!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Best riding upgrade I did to my 16 RGS was the KW sport flare 14". I'm 5 ft 10 and can see over the windshield perfectly. Now at 70 mph I have to turn radio down, cat actually hear it now. Wife on back loves it also.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
At your height, I would go with an 8". Unless you want a tall shield. I'd go with the 8" if I could get away with it. At my height the 14" is what I needed~ 9" didn't do anything more than the OEM for me.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Would be good to know what year bike you have.

As for KW, I had one on my '11CVO and it didn't fit for crap. I also think it's highway robbery for what they charge for their vent screens for the Rushmore bikes so I won't spend a damn penny on anything from them. Look at Freedom Shields also before you make your decision.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm 5'8". With the 14" sport flair, I can see over the shield just fine. Occasionally I have to look through it on hills and so on. I did get the tint, rather than the dark smoke. In night riding situations is seems to have been the right move. Wind-wise, it's great at highway speeds for me and my passenger. I can hear the radio just fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am 6'. I started out with the 8", but the wind still hit the top of my head. Jumped up to a 12" and love it. I wear a 3/4 helmet and can hear my music just fine. Have to turn it down at times because it is to loud.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the 14" sport and love it - 6 Foot here and I see over the shield. Been on a few trips and couldn't be happier. If you search the interweb...you can find one for about $ 200.00 with shipping

·
Registered
17 Posts
i have the 12 inch, i am 5'10. i get just a little wind in the helmet. if my passenger sits high get all wind. i love the downforce and handling changes. although in the rain i have no protection, zero.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i just got back from daytona, and bought the smallest one while i was there. think its 8 or 9''. i was going to grab the 12''er but it doesn't come in black and it was out of stock. this one really is, a bit taller than the stocker, and i don't think i could use a blacked out one any taller. i am 6'.. with the stock, i could NOT STAND the wind or pressure on my ears.! even with 3/4 or full face i had to use ear plugs. the pressure is totally better now! never would i have thought the small one would do so much.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I ended up switching from the 14" to the 9", in black. I just liked the look better. Ride-wise, it's working fine for me. I like not having to look through the shield on hills. With the distortion caused by the flared portion, it was a little weird. You get used to it but.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts