Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone experience a knock/rattle/shudder from the clutch area? Only noticeable at hot idle, taking off from stop, or blip gas before pulling away from stop. I've been chasing a noise, and shop thought it was compensator making all the racket. It was making a portion of it, but not all. They also replaced the clutch hub and output shaft bearing last trip. If he didn't soak the frictions overnight, would that cause a shudder? Doesn't matter if clutch lever is pulled or not. Only does it hot with oil thinned down and off high idle. Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With TTS installed, I doubt it's detonation. And it's gone by 1500rpm or so. It only happens on low rpm, with a little lug. I'm going to run another vtune session this weekend just to see if anything has changed over the past 10k miles or so.

Mike

·
Administrator
10,407 Posts
I wont say it's normal , but mine has done it on occasion for 3 and a half years , no issues with compensator , it was looked at under another noise last year ..

JtB

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Bama. Mine started the shudder taking off from a stop somewhere around the 11k mark. It now has 18k on it. It's pretty annoying to have the tech say ride it a couple k and see if it gets better. Huh? It didn't do it at 1 mile, why would it improve? He also said he knows we have more to do, but we have to lay low for awhile on the warranty work and let the dust settle out from this last trip. Huh? Seems to me, if it's not fixed, it's not fixed. Not my problem.

Thought I found a good dealer, since he helped me with my tuning issue. But with two trips for the same shit, and it's still doing it? I'm thinking I need to look around again. That or ride the shit out of and make sure it's gone just before the warranty runs out.

Mike

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a similar issue on a night train I owned. I took the primary cover off, started poking around couldn't really come up with anything in the compensator. Thats when i looked behind it, turns out the growling i had been hearing was the stator flywheel, the teeth had wore off the fly wheel and when i blipped it you would get that noise. Might want to check back there, thankfully mine was still under warranty so I buttoned it back up and sent it into the shop saying its making a growling noise in the primary. They caught it, if they didn't I was going to call them out on it......got it back in 2 days $50 lighter in the pocket for the deductible, it would've been an $800 job according to the receipt they gave me........

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a similar issue on a night train I owned. I took the primary cover off, started poking around couldn't really come up with anything in the compensator. Thats when i looked behind it, turns out the growling i had been hearing was the stator flywheel, the teeth had wore off the fly wheel and when i blipped it you would get that noise. Might want to check back there, thankfully mine was still under warranty so I buttoned it back up and sent it into the shop saying its making a growling noise in the primary. They caught it, if they didn't I was going to call them out on it......got it back in 2 days $50 lighter in the pocket for the deductible, it would've been an $800 job according to the receipt they gave me........
If it were that, tech should have caught that. He's had the inner primary off 2x now, no way he should have missed that. He's replacing bad parts, I've seen them. We just haven't got em all yet, and it's driving me nuts! Coming from a CS world, it's hard to remain civil at times!

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts