Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just got done installing a performance machine fastair cleaner, Vance and Hines 2 into 1 pro pipe and a thundermax. Did everything in directions. When I took it to get gas (after I did everything with the thundermax) I notice a knocking noise coming from the front cylinder. Sounds like an exhaust leak, but I checked for leaks and everything is sealed. I'm not sure if the air cleaner just has a different sound or the exhaust just sounds different. Any help would be great thanks guys.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
The noise you may be hearing is from the TBW(if so equipped) throttle plate touching the ID of the t/body.
Hollow, tapping, noise.
Scott
Exactly Scott, been well documented on the TBW bikes especially. Once the owners put the open style air cleaner it automatically pulses right into your ears. Only way to disguise it? Put the original air cleaner on it with the K&N filter in it. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
+1^^^

New air cleaner equal more throttle body noise.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yep, I usually hear it while accelerating with an RSD intake. In cruise with a steady RPM it's gone. Fuggetaboutit.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I have the same thing. It's been there for over 59K miles. Started when I changed to the Heavy Breather. Nothing to worry about. 0:)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Great, thank you all for the replies. Turns out, I actually had 2 things wrong. One, I didn't take the stock bracket for the air cleaner off (the one that is mounted by 2 screws on the throttle body) so I had a bit of a gap, fixed that. Second, I actually did have a leak at the front cylinder on the exhaust pipe itself, but with a little high temp gasket sealer I'm all good now. ImageUploadedByMO Free1469585917.090842.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1469585935.092607.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts