Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update: It is a knock off, I found the exact one on Amazon: Amazon.com: 2018-2020 FLSB Softail Sport Glide spike turbine air intake cleaner for harley touring road king FLHX FLHT FLHR FLTR 2017-2020: Automotive

Hello,

I thought and It still may be a Roland sands turbine air cleaner. I bought off FB Marketplace for $90. However after looking at the ones for sale I thought this could be a older model because the words on the cleaner are different. I noticed in install videos its missing "Roland Sands" on the center piece, and the back plate has no part# on it where the videos did, however, everything looks identical besides missing a part number and the Roland Sands name on the front.

if you think it is a knock off,

do you (your unprofessional opinion) think it’s ok to ride?
Or
do you think I should slap the stock back on?

I have two big rides this weekend, so I gotta figure this out ASAP

82A1094A-CE3B-41A8-A0BF-2CD5DF4DA597.jpeg FF5579D7-1DAE-40D3-A61D-9A83A0613486.jpeg 952B8634-D317-4D57-9C4F-F2932966B707.jpeg

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
You already have it bolted on and ready to go.....right? Is it a solid piece or seem like junk? Is anything loose or suspect and ready to get sucked into the intake? If no then give it a whirl and see if it's a keeper.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You already have it bolted on and ready to go.....right? Is it a solid piece or seem like junk? Is anything loose or suspect and ready to get sucked into the intake? If no then give it a whirl and see if it's a keeper.
I had it bolted on yesterday, even though it was missing a gasket on the backplate, I started it up and it sounded fine. It actually feels very solid, not cheap. I went to harley and bought a stock gasket and peeled off the adhesive and threw it on the backplate, which is why I was able to take these pictures.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I had it bolted on yesterday, even though it was missing a gasket on the backplate, I started it up and it sounded fine. It actually feels very solid, not cheap. I went to harley and bought a stock gasket and peeled off the adhesive and threw it on the backplate, which is why I was able to take these pictures.
Run with it man, enjoy the rides this weekend and use the time on the bike to give it a thorough evaluation. By the sounds of it you did fine on your selection. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Run with it man, enjoy the rides this weekend and use the time on the bike to give it a thorough evaluation. By the sounds of it you did fine on your selection. Keep us posted.
Thats kinda my plan, but i wanted to see if anyone else has done this before me, so I dont learn something the hard and expensive way

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
So ifs a knock off! As long as it fits up correctly and doesn't leak like a cive and does not need three gaskets to seal it, whats the big deal?! You saved lots of money and it works and looks good.

Where is the downside?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So ifs a knock off! As long as it fits up correctly and doesn't leak like a cive and does not need three gaskets to seal it, whats the big deal?! You saved lots of money and it works and looks good.

Where is the downside?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Went and rode it around town, everything sounded fine. My leg did feel hot, normally it doesnt. The metal holding it was also hot, I could hold my hand on there but it was borderline hot. This again was just a quick stroll around town.

Thoughts? Being too paranoid? I feel like throwing the stock one in my saddlebag incase something goes wrong on the ride I can swap them and still get the ESP haha.

Downsides: It could be missing one piece, or groove needed, the filter isnt K&N so it may not breathe as well as even a stock air filter, which could have caused increased heat.

After I posted this, I did a quick amazon search. Here it is: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VHPV3NW/ref=twister_B07VHQ43L6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Just curious, you have a tuner on your bike?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just a quick note, it was tuned prior to you getting it with stage I, but that air cleaner you put on, is open faced so it's getting more air to your bike, than stock, which means without you tuning it, either with running it around town watching the VE tables, or taking it to a Dyno guy, you are probably running lean now. I would either look into a harley pro street tuner, if you are okay with mild enhancement or a better tuning device, like a TTS or Powervision. The harley tuner is going to run a little lean anyway, since it's geared more towards EPA friendly tables. If you don't think you are going to make any additional mods, like stage II cam, then now would be the time to finish it up. If you are going to add a cam, then you want to wait til you are done, but running a bike lean can run hotter which isn't great for the bike. Also you say previous owner had it tuned, did he do it with running it around town and using a tuner or was it on a dyno, personally, if it was me, I would want to know it's tuned optimally myself, not just a previous owner said this or that. Just my .02c bud

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is much appreciated it, not sure how he had it tuned. Luckily it’s coldish today. So I’ll ride it around and see what happens but I’ll get a new air cleaner because I don’t really want something that I have to question its reliability

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Even if you get a new AC it’d be best to follow the suggestions from cactusred. You’re gonna want to make sure your bike is running at its best and not compromising anything. Its not always easy to do but making your Stage I and or Stage II changes and then getting it tuned is always going to be best for the bike and your wallet. Start making changes mid stream and it’s possible you need to either revert back to the parts you had or have the bike tuned again. If you’re using an Auto Tuner it’ll be easier to make those changes. I’m my case with the TTS tuner/Dynoed the options are minimized IMO.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a quick note, it was tuned prior to you getting it with stage I, but that air cleaner you put on, is open faced so it's getting more air to your bike, than stock, which means without you tuning it, either with running it around town watching the VE tables, or taking it to a Dyno guy, you are probably running lean now. I would either look into a harley pro street tuner, if you are okay with mild enhancement or a better tuning device, like a TTS or Powervision. The harley tuner is going to run a little lean anyway, since it's geared more towards EPA friendly tables. If you don't think you are going to make any additional mods, like stage II cam, then now would be the time to finish it up. If you are going to add a cam, then you want to wait til you are done, but running a bike lean can run hotter which isn't great for the bike. Also you say previous owner had it tuned, did he do it with running it around town and using a tuner or was it on a dyno, personally, if it was me, I would want to know it's tuned optimally myself, not just a previous owner said this or that. Just my .02c bud
Even if you get a new AC it’d be best to follow the suggestions from cactusred. You’re gonna want to make sure your bike is running at its best and not compromising anything. Its not always easy to do but making your Stage I and or Stage II changes and then getting it tuned is always going to be best for the bike and your wallet. Start making changes mid stream and it’s possible you need to either revert back to the parts you had or have the bike tuned again. If you’re using an Auto Tuner it’ll be easier to make those changes. I’m my case with the TTS tuner/Dynoed the options are minimized IMO.
the original owner is meeting me this weak to hand me the tuner. So once I get that, then what? No idea how tuners work. I thought it was plug and play.

the most I’ll ever do, is a stage 1. Everything else would be suspension and speakers probably.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
It’d be great to know who and where it was tuned. Was it Dynoed? If so, can he provide the Dyno sheet which would give you the date, #’’s and parts used. You can use this info to decide if it’s the Tuner you want to stick with and what exhaust/AC.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Agree, mjsdouble makes some good points there. You are headed in the right direction with getting the tuner from the previous owner, I'd be curious to know if they tuned it with an auto tuning feature, which is what I meant about riding it around town, different rpm's, gears, etc, or if they had it dyno'd which does all that for you, and is really a more dialed in approach to a good tune. Is this bike new, or rather under warranty? If so, then you have a HD screaming eagle tuner, if not then you might still have a HD tuner or VH fuel pack, Powervision, TTS, are the bigger ones. If you are going to attempt to do it yourself, it's going to depend on the tuner that the previous owner gives you, but you will need cables to interface with the bike connection, so if he gives those to you or you will have to buy those separately. Once you find out which brand, there are lots of videos on the internet that show how to perform auto tunes. It's kind of fun, can get a bit tedious, trying to hit all the marks on the tables but if you feel after watching some video's it's not your bag, you can take it to a trusted Dyno guy. If you are in the Dallas area, I have a must Dyno guy.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
as long as you have the right gaskets and the air breather doesn't block the breather vents of the motor you should be good. I've run both a brand HD heavy breather and a now knock-off of Arlen Ness heavy breather and there is no difference between the two but I bet the finish is more resilient on and brand name breathers but time will tell. Other than that the only real difference is the filter element which you can replace with anything else.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Agree, mjsdouble makes some good points there. You are headed in the right direction with getting the tuner from the previous owner, I'd be curious to know if they tuned it with an auto tuning feature, which is what I meant about riding it around town, different rpm's, gears, etc, or if they had it dyno'd which does all that for you, and is really a more dialed in approach to a good tune. Is this bike new, or rather under warranty? If so, then you have a HD screaming eagle tuner, if not then you might still have a HD tuner or VH fuel pack, Powervision, TTS, are the bigger ones. If you are going to attempt to do it yourself, it's going to depend on the tuner that the previous owner gives you, but you will need cables to interface with the bike connection, so if he gives those to you or you will have to buy those separately. Once you find out which brand, there are lots of videos on the internet that show how to perform auto tunes. It's kind of fun, can get a bit tedious, trying to hit all the marks on the tables but if you feel after watching some video's it's not your bag, you can take it to a trusted Dyno guy. If you are in the Dallas area, I have a must Dyno guy.
I know for a fact it is a SE Tuner, he showed me the photo of them. Ill have to follow up with him on hot it was tuned.

as long as you have the right gaskets and the air breather doesn't block the breather vents of the motor you should be good. I've run both a brand HD heavy breather and a now knock-off of Arlen Ness heavy breather and there is no difference between the two but I bet the finish is more resilient on and brand name breathers but time will tell. Other than that the only real difference is the filter element which you can replace with anything else.
The breather vents look identical to the real ones, and they are not blocked so I am good to go.

I ran the AC Saturday and Sunday during two poker runs, bike ran fine. No issues.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts