Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doin it!

I'll be back in the States soon and should finally get my first ride on my Shark around the end of May. A friend of mine and I are planning to ride from Knoxville TN to San Diego at the beginning of June. We don't have much time, so we will sadly not be doing much scenic touring.

If it all goes as planned, we'll be stopping in the Fort Worth for a day with family, Abilene, somewhere near the NM and AZ border, and then on to San Diego.

I've done many rides in the 4 - 6 hour range. I've spent a lot of time living out of a backpack for 3 or 4 days at a time in the mountains. Besides verifying that my shark's maintenance is good for the ride, what other things should I be aware of?

Also... while my ride is a '17, this will be the first time I've seen it... so it is brand new to me!! My dad says he hasn't come anywhere near hitting the 1000 mile mark on it. Should I be concerned about being out on the road and riding through the 1K service and just doing it when I finish the ride?

I'm happy to post pics and short entries each day of the ride. Pretty pumped about being home and getting to ride!!

·
Super Moderator
9,760 Posts
do the 1k before you leave , or have your dad do it , most likely you will get an over priced oil change ..

Squid eh ?? By your handle a corpsman ? Lots a former Navy here , made GMGC and got out long long ago ..

·
Registered
6,852 Posts
Enjoy the ride, I agreed do the 1K before leaving on the trip. Doing the 1k anywhere from 500-1000 miles would be fine.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Set up your service during your trip. Looks like its about 2200 miles. Look for a dealership or an indy shop however many miles in so you're near the 1000 mile mark. Over is fine. Mine was at 1300 when I did my first one. From traveling I've noticed dealers are pretty accommodating when they know you're far from home.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wasn't sure if doing the 1K too early would be worthless.

Yeah... I'm a Corpsman! Pushin 18 years. Transferring from this floating gray box to a Naval Hospital in September. I'll do this ride to get my motorcycle to San Diego around the beginning of June, then I'll do a slightly more scenic and relaxing ride to get to North Carolina from SD around mid September!

Thanks for serving JTB!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bbally

Welcome Doc ..... you drink free is I am in the bar!

We love our Death Cheaters in the Corps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Thanks!! If I'm ever in your area, I'll look you up and bring you some Motrin! LOL

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure how many miles there will be on my motorcycle when I get back to TN. Really depends on how much my dad rides it between now and then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts