Road Glide banner

141 - 148 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Well, after all this time, I've finally gotten around to "TRYING" to install my bars....

HOW THE HECK do you get enough slack in the brake and clutch lines???

I've cut all the wire tie's that I've seen....And, the CLUTCH side is still too tight/not enough slack....

Anyone have pictures of how the lines route on both sides?
If you have 14" bars the stock lines won't work. I don't care what KST says, there's just not enough slack. I burned up a ton of time trying to re-route stuff so that they would work without pulling as I approached the steering stops, and there's no safe way. The 14" bars require +2 lines.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
If you have 14" bars the stock lines won't work. I don't care what KST says, there's just not enough slack. I burned up a ton of time trying to re-route stuff so that they would work without pulling as I approached the steering stops, and there's no safe way. The 14" bars require +2 lines.

14’s stock lines and wires. Absolutely 0 issues.

Watch this video. You shouldn't need anything else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=47&v=JdpR4ylilKk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have the 14 inch KST Vanguard Spearheads on all three of my Roadglides with absolutely no issues and no extensions. I had one set off over the weekend adding heated grips and checked all lines and wires. All looked good.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
So, at about 1:30 am MST, I sent KST an email, describing my issues, and asking for advice....

At 7:15 am EST, Ret sent me this:

"Thanks for reaching out. I assume you have followed the video. I have learned a few little tips since shooting it that have made it go a little smoother. First, if you look down on the right side of the neck of the bike, you will notice a hose tray where the brake and clutch hoses are seated. There is another zip tie that holds these together remove it and remove the hoses from the tray. There is a black ABS plug located there as well. I like to unplug it and plug it back up on the inside of the brake hose. If you don’t sometimes it catches on the plastic fork faring and you will hear a clicking noise when you turn. Next, you will notice a protective sleeve around the brake and clutch hydraulic lines just above the gauge cluster. Let’s remove those. This will allow the hoses to seat in between the knuckle of the base clamp and the gauge cluster a little better. I think this will do the trick for you.

Ret Tolleson
KST Kustoms"

I did everything EXCEPT remove the protective sleeve, because by that time I'd free'd up enough slack in the lines to make everything work!

The other thing I DID do is bought the extended wiring harness from Harley....I did POP the holder out like it shows in the video, but, the extra wire gave me a little bit of extra room behind the instrument cluster!

Great customer service from KST! I'm very impressed, and very happy with the bars.

Now, I just have to make sure my GARAGE GUESS on the bar position is what I actually like...

OH, yea, I DID get a "CHECK ENGINE LIGHT"......

Guess I'm gonna need to find out how to clear that....

Any pointers?

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
So, at about 1:30 am MST, I sent KST an email, describing my issues, and asking for advice....

"Thanks for reaching out. I assume you have followed the video. I have learned a few little tips since shooting it that have made it go a little smoother. First, if you look down on the right side of the neck of the bike, you will notice a hose tray where the brake and clutch hoses are seated. There is another zip tie that holds these together remove it and remove the hoses from the tray. There is a black ABS plug located there as well. I like to unplug it and plug it back up on the inside of the brake hose. If you don’t sometimes it catches on the plastic fork faring and you will hear a clicking noise when you turn. Next, you will notice a protective sleeve around the brake and clutch hydraulic lines just above the gauge cluster. Let’s remove those. This will allow the hoses to seat in between the knuckle of the base clamp and the gauge cluster a little better. I think this will do the trick for you.

Ret Tolleson
KST Kustoms"

I did everything EXCEPT remove the protective sleeve, because by that time I'd free'd up enough slack in the lines to make everything work!

The other thing I DID do is bought the extended wiring harness from Harley....I did POP the holder out like it shows in the video, but, the extra wire gave me a little bit of extra room behind the instrument cluster!

Great customer service from KST! I'm very impressed, and very happy with the bars.

Now, I just have to make sure my GARAGE GUESS on the bar position is what I actually like...

Any pointers?
Security on the bike? Did you pull the main fuse before working on it?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes I did pull the fuse, but, I did put it in from time to time to "CHECK" my work.....Made sure the Heated Grips worked, made sure the Amp and Speakers Worked, made sure the new Ciro Headlight trim running lights/turn signals worked.......

SO, somewhere in there I probably messed something up....

·
Registered
367 Posts

Ret Tolleson
KST Kustoms"

Any pointers?
Hold down odometer/trip button. Turn on ignition. Release button. Diag. Should flash across where mileage is usually displayed. It will say eng. y or n. If y hold button down again for a couple seconds and it will clear. Repeat until all codes are gone. Hope this helps.

141 - 148 of 148 Posts