Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a set of 10" KST Renegade bars. Inside the front halves of the clutch and brake perches, there is a tit that engages into the stock bars that are drilled for it. On the KST's it's not drilled there. Not sure if all the aftermarket bars are this way. Do I need to grind off the tit? Can't see drilling the bars, KST would've done that .

·
Registered
399 Posts
That is why I stayed with F47 they had the slots.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
567 Posts
I’ve installed a number of KST bars at work and I always just stand the clutch and brake perch on end on my toolbox and smack the pin with a punch. 95% of the time, the nub snaps off flush.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I’ve installed a number of KST bars at work and I always just stand the clutch and brake perch on end on my toolbox and smack the pin with a punch. 95% of the time, the nub snaps off flush.

Dang. That would have saved me like 30 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! The dremel tool did the trick. Gives you full adjustment range. Pulled the bar clamp dowel pin too. HD must be using the pins for more efficient assembly. Never seen them on any previous bikes.

For $185 less than Factory 47, removing the pins isn't a big deal.

·
Registered
49 Posts
About the same as what I did, took a 1/4 inch chisel, knocked off the pins, and sanded to make look good; although it will never be seen.

Thanks! The dremel tool did the trick. Gives you full adjustment range. Pulled the bar clamp dowel pin too. HD must be using the pins for more efficient assembly. Never seen them on any previous bikes.

For $185 less than Factory 47, removing the pins isn't a big deal.
Efficiency maybe the end result, but in HD's case it was cost cutting one person assembly versus the need of two on the old road glides.

·
Registered
7 Posts
10 inch kst renegade. It's in the first post of this thread. I went with the same in 12 inch.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Gotcha! I'm really torn on what to order. I am not tall. I am 5'9". I am wanting to go with apes, but not super tall. Everything I read I keep seeing buy bigger than you think. If I'm being honest, my personal preference is not the super tall. Its just not my style. I am looking to get better riding/seating position, and some style. I think looking at bikes that have 10" & 12" looks about the best. Problem is I don't know anyone specifically that has this exact setup that I can sit on their bike and try. So decisions.... I am looking at either Factory 47 Signature Series, or I have been looking at the KST Customs, they have a 3 piece bar that is fully adjustable and looks awesome! Thoughts from anyone?

·
Registered
42 Posts
My 10" KST Outlaw bars should be delivered today! Hopefully get them on this weekend.
Other then knocking the pin out it seems the install is pretty straight forward. Any other issues installing them?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gotcha! I'm really torn on what to order. I am not tall. I am 5'9". I am wanting to go with apes, but not super tall. Everything I read I keep seeing buy bigger than you think. If I'm being honest, my personal preference is not the super tall. Its just not my style. I am looking to get better riding/seating position, and some style. I think looking at bikes that have 10" & 12" looks about the best. Problem is I don't know anyone specifically that has this exact setup that I can sit on their bike and try. So decisions.... I am looking at either Factory 47 Signature Series, or I have been looking at the KST Customs, they have a 3 piece bar that is fully adjustable and looks awesome! Thoughts from anyone?
I'm 5'11" and now that I have some miles on them, the 12" may have been better suited for me. It's not a height issue but more of getting them closer by rolling them back towards me. They all have 6" pullback. My goal was to keep my hands behind the fairing and not above.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My 10" KST Outlaw bars should be delivered today! Hopefully get them on this weekend.
Other then knocking the pin out it seems the install is pretty straight forward. Any other issues installing them?
To help the wiring harness go through better, put heat shrink tubing over the heated grip wire/connector. This will keep it from snagging, and protects when tying cord to the harness, them remove once through. Also, lightly coat the harness sheath with dielectric grease to help slide through easier. Light tug back and forth worked for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
To help the wiring harness go through better, put heat shrink tubing over the heated grip wire/connector. This will keep it from snagging, and protects when tying cord to the harness, them remove once through. Also, lightly coat the harness sheath with dielectric grease to help slide through easier. Light tug back and forth worked for me.
ON the right side (throttle side)... did you pull the Throttle by wire and the controls wires all together or separately? I ordered my kst bars with the mayham chasers already thru the bars to make pulling easy. Fought it for 2 hours last night and gave up. The 12 gauge wire that was already ins the bars for chasing wires thru was chewed up and I wasn't about to destroy my throttle cables and controls wires. I put dish soap on the wires to help, but no luck... I could use some serious solid advice for pulling wires and not destroying my wires.

Attachments

·
Banned
72 Posts
ON the right side (throttle side)... did you pull the Throttle by wire and the controls wires all together or separately? I ordered my kst bars with the mayham chasers already thru the bars to make pulling easy. Fought it for 2 hours last night and gave up. The 12 gauge wire that was already ins the bars for chasing wires thru was chewed up and I wasn't about to destroy my throttle cables and controls wires. I put dish soap on the wires to help, but no luck... I could use some serious solid advice for pulling wires and not destroying my wires.
Thats the reason why i went with traditional bends in the bars.I wired up a
couple sets of the meathook style,nice looking bars but its the not knowing wheather or not you damaged anything pulling back n forth.I've had wire issues in the past and it sucks.Not only that if you hafta pull em back out of that style its just as bad if not worse.I know for sure cuz i got receipts here for new wires.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I know it can be a bear to pull wiring. A big part is to use more push than pull. Push the wiring thru and pull to guide it. Back and forth and some twisting can help get around tough corners too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts