Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of the forum members have aftermarket tour packs and I was wondering on how you like them??
I was looking at http://www.ridebikegear.com/harley-davidson-tour-packs-c-212_227.html
I see that they also have a few smaller tour packs that cost a little less then the King Tour pack and for as much as I am going to use one I was thinking the less expensive $219 or $189 tour packs would work OK for me, I was wondering about the quality of the tour packs too.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I had an aftermarket King pack that failed me last fall. I Started a thread in here about it. I went to open the lid while I was out to put my helmet inside and the area around the hinges broke and the lid fell off.

After reflecting on the issue for a couple weeks it could have been from me putting too big of a bag on the luggage rack on some trips. I used to carry one of the larger tour pack bags and with the weight of it loaded and bouncing down the road it could have caused the problem.

I have a factory king pack now and I can tell the plastic is either thicker or stronger than the aftermarket. It does not have as much flex. No matter which way you go I would say be cautious of how much weight you put on the rack. I think the HD pack says 10lb. Max. I'll bet that bag I was using weighed 20+ loaded.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Check out the tour paks from mutazu. I've head pretty good things about them here on the forum. They offer the factory style paks bare with no hardware for about $250ish or less. I believe they offer them complete painted black for obviously more money. I think I'm going to order the bare one as I already have new HD hardware that I was going to use on a pak I bought from eBay which is too damaged for repair. Also I think mutazu offers an extra discount for us forum members too

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I will check them out!

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
I seen them ones that open from the back. They're kinda flimsy, and don't really look good on the bike . Imo.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I have the $189 tour pak. Bought it about 4 years ago and its done a decent job. Quality is about a B- overall. Impossible to get 2 full face helmets inside so don't believe the marketing. Paint is good match for vivid black. Back rest pad is pretty good. Box lid rattles against the base because the seal is thin and it's not very snug. Mounting bracketry they send is trash do be prepared to devise your own.

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff434/RoadieWingZZ/ae20ada1.jpg

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
I seen them ones that open from the back. They're kinda flimsy, and don't really look good on the bike . Imo.
+1 on that. I had one one of those and they are very flimsy. A coworker was inquiring about something similar for his dyna so I told him about the one I had. He saw it and wanted it so I sold it to him. He loves it. I guess there's a huckleberry in every crowd

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Matazu tour pack don't look too bad. I may consider getting one of them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts