Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
call them up. I've had the same part on my bike for 3 years and it still looks great.

·
Registered
927 Posts
How in the hell...?? I've had things come loose and fall off (horn, mufflers, end caps, etc.) but haven't seen anything like that before. Perhaps a better wheel balance?.:grin:

On a serious note though, it's a pisser for sure. Got nothing to lose by asking for a replacement.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No issues with wheel balance, just hit a manhole cover that ride and it went flying......

I'm waiting for them to contact me back. I called this morning and my receipt puts it at 34 days since purchase. Lady on the phone stated 30 day policy and would have to check with someone and call me back. 3 1/2 hours ago. Im not getting a warm fuzzy feeling about this..........

·
Registered
186 Posts
You may have gotten a bad casting, as your photos look like the bracket is a cast product. Harley sells the identical looking bracket under there own packaging and it may or may not be made by Kuryakyn for Harley. It would be interesting to see if the Harley bracket is any thicker. I've had the Harley one on my RGS for over a year with no problem. It is also possible that the manhole lid you ran over could have flipped up and hit the bracket before it went flying.
You did not mention what kind of manhole cover you ran over but after working 40 years for the phone company, I have seen manhole covers flipped up out of manholes several times. I have also seen manhole lids crack under heavy traffic conditions, usually tractor trailers or loaded dump trucks, and the lids fall into the manholes, leaving a gaping hole in the road. I personally try to safely avoid running over manhole lids if possible.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:
After about a week of BS from J&P and Kuryaken, I finally received a replacement part.
Now all I have to do is figure out a way to brace this so it won't happen again.
It could be that I just got a bad part, but I don't want to take any chances. Especially since it almost hit another rider behind me when it fell off.
Any ideas from anyone?

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I'm planning on buying the same one whether from HD or Kuryakyn but does this bracket sit on the rubber wire grommet of sorts on the fender or does it just support itself on the 2 ears that broke off ? Did you get any fender damage when it fell off ? I'm glad they made good in the whole fiasco.

·
Registered
64 Posts
How in the hell...?? I've had things come loose and fall off (horn, mufflers, end caps, etc.) but haven't seen anything like that before. Perhaps a better wheel balance?.:grin:

On a serious note though, it's a pisser for sure. Got nothing to lose by asking for a replacement.
Except maybe his license plate! I was just yesterday looking at that because I had some harley bucks to spend. I'm glad I passed on it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Easyryder01: It sits about 1/2 inch away from the rubber grommet on the rear fender. All that supports it is the 2 ears that bolt it to the light bar.
I took round rubber grommets and placed them on both sides of the ears to bolt it to the light bar and also cut a thick piece of soft rubber and glued it to the back of the license plate to give it cushion from the fender.
This way it will hopefully absorb some of the vibration instead of the plate bracket shaking like hell when the bike is running. Will see if this works better........

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
The cheap 30 dollar version from ebay gives you a few foam sticky blocks to put between the plate frame and your fender to help with the vibration to help prevent that.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Update:
After about a week of BS from J&P and Kuryaken, I finally received a replacement part.
Now all I have to do is figure out a way to brace this so it won't happen again.
It could be that I just got a bad part, but I don't want to take any chances. Especially since it almost hit another rider behind me when it fell off.
Any ideas from anyone?
There should have been some foam pieces that go between the bottom of the Lic Bracket and the fender to keep it for vibrating, I've had mine on my 2012 for 5 years with no problems.

Good luck

·
Registered
362 Posts
The problem is it is aluminum; the Harley branded one is steel backing plate and aluminum top plate.

Also you have to utilize the stacked foam wedges on the center of the bottom of the frame.

Go easy on the tightening of the bolts and tighten them evenly, it helps to use better lock washers than HD (gasp!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I'm thinking that 2.5 years later he probably resolved it in some fashion.

There should have been some foam pieces that go between the bottom of the Lic Bracket and the fender to keep it for vibrating, I've had mine on my 2012 for 5 years with no problems.

Good luck
The problem is it is aluminum; the Harley branded one is steel backing plate and aluminum top plate.

Also you have to utilize the stacked foam wedges on the center of the bottom of the frame.

Go easy on the tightening of the bolts and tighten them evenly, it helps to use better lock washers than HD (gasp!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts