Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinkin' of going to Laconia for their 90th anniversary in 2013 and was wondering if anyone had any tips on places to stay etc. I'm not looking to camp. Since its the 90th I don't think it's too early to start planning. Any advice or input would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Bike week takes place at Weirs Beach on Lake Winnipesaukee. There's plenty of places to stay in the area, just search the "Lakes Region" in NH. Towns like Meredith, Alton, Tilton, Franklin, Moultonborough and of course Laconia.
You have a handful of places in Concord and a Red Roof Inn in Loudon.
The only other thing I'd add is that Lake Winni is a LLOOONNGG lake. If you want to stay close to the action, stick to the Western side of the Lake. Good luck.

·
Administrator
2,681 Posts
I'm thinkin' of going to Laconia for their 90th anniversary in 2013 and was wondering if anyone had any tips on places to stay etc. I'm not looking to camp. Since its the 90th I don't think it's too early to start planning. Any advice or input would be appreciated
My only advice is to plan on me going as well!!!

I wont have a full week to take off, but I was thinking of leaving Thursday for NY and leaving NY Sunday.

I know 2 days aint much, but its enough to test out my setup for the big SW trip and cross Laconia off my list.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts

I wont have a full week to take off, but I was thinking of leaving Thursday for NY and leaving NY Sunday.

I know 2 days aint much, but its enough to test out my setup for the big SW trip and cross Laconia off my list.
Laconia is a good time but for a biker rally its more about the riding than the partying. There is some phenominal riding up there. Its always to me anyways, been the tamer rally. Still a great time but the ride there and around the surronding areas is what its about. And this is coming from someone who likes to drink and party..:D

To the OP, we stayed about 15 minutes from Laconia in a cabin set up. It was really nice. I will try and look up what the info on that was.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wife and i will be there! Reserved room at our timeshare in Lincoln, NH just up the road a bit. Looking forward to it!!!!:)

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

Sounds great Dan. I was thinkin' of going to the Ky. State Hog Rally in London the weekend of the 8th and heading up to Laconia from there....meandering around a bit and get to the area around midweek. Then head back Sunday. Nuthins in stone though.

They say nowhere in New Hampshire is more then an hour from Laconia but sounds like the lake region is the place to stay.

·
Registered
892 Posts
One of the companies you can try is preferredrentals.com

They are a realty company, but they may only have inventory that is a weekly rental. I was able to find a small camp on a lake for $1200 for the week. Not bad when you split that between 4 guys.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It depends how close to the maham you want to be. If you stay in the Weirs area, plan on sitting in a lot of traffic, all the time. I would recommend staying within an hour and riding down when you feel like it. That let's you do what you should be doing, riding on some of the best roads in the world. Dan has the right idea, Lincoln is a great base area.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,699 Posts
I'm sure one of us will plan a Meet and Greet long before the event. We had one last year but only 3 RGers from here showed up. Part of the problem is that on the final weekend, traffic gets so bad that it can take you a long time to get anywhere if you're within 10 miles of the Weirs. Probably best to have a Meet and Greet on some day other than Friday or Saturday. Maybe Thursday at dinner time would work. We could plan it at a casual restaurant at 5:00 and hang out for a while then grab a bite to eat. Plenty of time to organize that.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Several of the campgrounds in the area also have cabins for rent. Recently started staying in Bristol on Newfound Lake. Easy 15 minute ride to the weirs, but far enough away to avoid traffic.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
I'm planning to hit this one myself this year. Too many uncertainties with the economy for me to make solid plans yet, but camping is my preferred method as well.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Stayed at the Rodeway Inn in Moultonboro during the Rally. Couple hundred a night with 2 nite minimum. It aint much, but gets you indoors with a bathroom.
Stayed later on in the summer for a night at the Center Harbor Inn.
Rooms are bigger, and nice grounds right on the lake. They told us 190 a night during the Rally with a 3 nite minimum. Both are right on 25 above Merideth. Only thing I didnt like was no bar or restaurant onsite at either one.
Plenty in the area, just have to ride to them.
I have never been south of the beach during the Rally. Place is a parking lot the closer you get to the Weirs.

I may stay in Lincoln or N Conway next year if I go down. Not so much into the rally per se, can ride in for a day, see it, get the tee shirt and leave. Go back if you feel like it. I'd rather ride the mtns than sit in the parking lot looking at them..

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
This may be able to help you out a bit. Theres a spot that has some lodging info that my be useful http://www.laconiamcweek.com/ me and a couple of buddies may head over for a day. I have another buddy that lives in VT about 2hrs away which is where id be staying.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Laconia

I'm only 30 min from Laconia. I can set up a meet & greet up as we get closer.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
It depends how close to the maham you want to be. If you stay in the Weirs area, plan on sitting in a lot of traffic, all the time. I would recommend staying within an hour and riding down when you feel like it. That let's you do what you should be doing, riding on some of the best roads in the world. Dan has the right idea, Lincoln is a great base area.
Weirs Beach is such a small area that it really does get congested most of the time. I have family in Deering and I stay in that area for the week and take a couple of trips into Meredith/Laconia, but we also take a couple of days to do some riding in Vermont and Maine while we are there. 2012 saw pretty sparse crowds early in the week, but the weather was so nice it was packed as the weekend approached. Lots of great riding in both the White and Green mountains.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I'm only 30 min from Laconia. I can set up a meet & greet up as we get closer.
It would be cool to have a bunch of sharks riding together!

·
Registered
892 Posts
I was there for the whole week for '12 (and will be again in '13). I was initially disappointed by the small crowd early in the week, but after the weekend traffic appeared, I realized that we had a much better time hanging out in the early, slower part.

We did at least 200 miles of riding each day. AMAZING riding when you use Laconia as a base.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I'm here in New Hampshire...attend Laconia every year...if you need any help with anything...feel free to message me.......Meet & Greet....Party Coordinator...whatever you need...where to go....roads...the network....people complain of traffic..but not so if you know your way around....and stock up on Wet Weather Gear....It rains just about every year....and can be Cold as Hell some years....We have some wild weather around here...so don't be fooled .....it's june..it will be nice....nope...I have spent the week in Heated and or rain gear. But it is a Great Time...and N.H. has some of the best riding in the Country...and the largest popluation of motorcycle riders in America.

·
Administrator
2,681 Posts
I'm here in New Hampshire...attend Laconia every year...if you need any help with anything...feel free to message me.......Meet & Greet....Party Coordinator...whatever you need...where to go....roads...the network....people complain of traffic..but not so if you know your way around....and stock up on Wet Weather Gear....It rains just about every year....and can be Cold as Hell some years....We have some wild weather around here...so don't be fooled .....it's june..it will be nice....nope...I have spent the week in Heated and or rain gear. But it is a Great Time...and N.H. has some of the best riding in the Country...and the largest popluation of motorcycle riders in America.
Hey Ranger, maybe you can org a mini event for us planning on heading to Laconia?

Laconia Shark Days!

Wouldn't take much... maybe suggest a decent place within a hour or so and a few day rides?

Do you stay someplace local or commute from home?

1 - 20 of 291 Posts