Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed to Laconia next year for the first time. Going to be camping. Does anyone know which campground or campgrounds are the wildest? Do any have bands playing on their grounds? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Headed to Laconia next year for the first time. Going to be camping. Does anyone know which campground or campgrounds are the wildest? Do any have bands playing on their grounds? Thanks in advance.
You do know they call Laconia the rainy run for a reason right? Only say that because you're camping. Its funny all the years I went I can't remember anybody I know camping... just not as popular as it is in Sturgis I guess

·
Registered
302 Posts
There are campgrounds in the area.

None have entertainment to my knowledge. There are a few that cater to certain groups, such as Kawasaki Nomad's, Goldwings, etc.

For the most part, Laconia has gotten "quiet" at night, as the group that goes there ages.

·
Registered
889 Posts
"Rainconia" isn't really wild. I've been going for the past 5 years and I enjoy it, just don't expect wild. Fun, yes, but not wild. No burnouts, no nakedness, but great riding and a good time.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Giving it additional thought, probably best choice for you would be the camping next to the Broken Spoke.

The Spoke has live bands afternoon and evening. They had a sign up a few weeks ago, saying sites available for 2016.

It's not wild by any means. But, I don't think there are any camping spots within walking distance to the Weirs "strip", where the other live bands are. Plus, the exit road from the strip, circles around to the Spoke.

As to rain, yes it will rain once or twice during the week. Mostly evening, or overnight. Be sure to bring a seat cover, and keep an eye on your smart phone radar. It's usually not "pop-up" rain. Mostly predictable, and you can plan your riding to avoid it. I only recall one all day rain, in the past three years.

That said, there are a volume of older single story hotels, that line the routes into Weirs. All filled by bikers. Pretty much the same as a campground. With people hanging out in chairs with beverages. Look for the NASWA, or closer.

Just a note on Laconia. There was a change of ownership of the Lobster Pound going into 2015. They looked into making the Roadhouse area into a concert venue, rather than the combination of Road House and Vendors that currently fill the space. Word was they ran out of time. But, it may have been they changed their minds. However, that is why many of vendors changed locations in the area.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
6,949 Posts
Ya, if you want "wild" at Laconia to have to time travel back to the 60s/70s/early 80s when everyone camped beside Rte. 106. THAT was wild. Laconia is definitely the most family oriented, or PG13 rated, of the 3 major rallies.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Most going on, there is a campground across from from the Broken Spoke, plus the spoke has camping. Traffic is generally only bad on the weekends. Personally, I've got to the point where I enjoy going there early in the week before the crowds. I get to see the same vendors and venues, but don't have to deal with traffic or crowds.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Back in my shovel head days it was wild, I think I remember some of it. Not really too crowded these days. Great riding in the area. Not as much camping anymore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts