Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last Friday I laid my 2004 RG down, only bruised but the faring took a hit, saddlebag, slip-ons, etc. My insurance will fix it and the local Stealership will be doing the work.

My question: There is a dent in the Gas Tank where the cigarette lighter hit it when the handlebars twisted on the left side (the side I laid down)...They want $1450.00 to do a complete removal and replacement! It looks cosmetic to me, they insist that The Motor Company requires a complete swap out. I could do with some DayMakers and Ape Hangers instead and I'm thinking of doing that with the 14K.

Is there a real danger or reason why the Gas Tank needs replacing?

This is my first Post, I was on a nother Brand's forum for years and those guys were really helpful and saved me a ton of cash with their advice and words of wisdom. I know you guys are just as cool, let me know.

L&R

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
My question: There is a dent in the Gas Tank where the cigarette lighter hit it when the handlebars twisted on the left side (the side I laid down).

Going down sucks.... glad you have insurance...

I don't understand how the lighter could hit the tank because the handlebars twisted. That could happen on a Street Glide or Electra glide with a batwing fairing. But not a Road Glide. Do you have any pictures of the damage?

As far as your question about replacing vs fixing. It's a GAS tank. Better safe than sorry, and turning yourself into a fireball rolling down the highway. :surprise:

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
The cigarette lighter could have hit the tank but it wasn't caused by the twisting of the bars. The fairing had to have taken a decent hit and pushed into the tank.
The dent can be repaired and the tank pressure checked for much less then the $1450 they are suggesting.

·
Super Moderator
12,428 Posts
Personally, I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to the gas tank. $1450 seems a little high, but what's cheap on a Harley. If you were doing the work yourself, you could always find the parts cheaper and save on the labor.

·
Registered
169 Posts
consider that your bike has the same tank as a EG, basically a butt ton were made, if your bike is standard color you can probably buy a whole tank on ebay or swap meet and swap it over in 10minutes. :wink:

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Plus everything that's been said.... depending on the color, it's hard to beat an OEM paint match.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, after all the input, I'll go ahead and replace it as part of the original quote.

Thanks for all the advice!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts