Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wednesday I finally had both my knees scoped. Pain level is pretty high but after 18 month of Obamacare fighting about the surgery and getting lined up so my doctors could do the deed I feel pretty relived. I am missing some glorious weather here in the mid 80's but I guess it was well worth the missed early year season. Maybe another 4 or 5 weeks and I can get the trike out.

Then we start over again with my ankle, plate and 7 screws to be removed and soft tissue damage work on next.

And damn it is AZ bike week this week.

· Administrator
13,935 Posts
After years of rodeo ( barrel racing ) my wife's knees finally had to be replaced , she had one done in May of 12 and the other done in August of 13 . She waited way to long on the first one , until she could barely walk . Second knee couldn't be scoped and scraped a second time .... She gits around better than me now ..

JtB

· Registered
878 Posts
hope you heal fast. Not looking forward to my later years and surgeries to come. :mad:

· Registered
372 Posts
Sorry to hear you'll miss riding for a while; I know your pain. I missed the entire '14 riding season due to major back surgery and now I'm looking at missing all of '15 due to another ruptured disc and another possible surgery. Fortunately, I had an injection last week into the disc area and I feel like a new man so far. I know it's masking the real problem and I still have to take it easy, but hopefully the shot will continue to allow me to be sciatic pain free long enough for the disc to recede/recover and I won't need surgery. Too early to tell if I'm gonna miss the '15 riding season also. I know I'm out for at least the next 2 months for sure.
Good luck with your recovery. I had the same surgery a few years back and I was back to normal within a couple of weeks.

Aren't you glad we live in these modern times where medical advances/treatments can fix this kind of stuff? If I lived 50 years ago, I'd be in a wheelchair now. :eek:

· Registered
10,584 Posts
Hope the surgery works better for you than it did me. I feel having my knee scoped didn't do a thing except make somebody's Mercedes payment. :) . On a side note, it did help my sister.

· Another ICON
13,718 Posts
I hope you feel better and heal quickly. Stuff like this scares me a little, I have to get a MRI on my knee, and I don't even want to hear the word surgery. :(

· Registered
10,584 Posts
I hope you feel better and heal quickly. Stuff like this scares me a little, I have to get a MRI on my knee, and I don't even want to hear the word surgery. :(
The scope operation is really a minor surgery. In at 0800 out on the way home by lunch with a pocket full of perks . :)

· Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This doc is pretty amazing, both knees done and walking around OK today with no pain killers or external support like a cane or crutches. Not totally pain free but moving in that direction.

BTW this is the second time I had the left knee done, the doc warned me the scope is only temporary as the meniscus is pretty shot and the arthritis will be back with a vengeance at some point requiring a replacement. After the surgery he told the wife the arthritis is worse than the MRI showed. The last time lasted 5+ years so I guess I can't complain. The right knee is not much better. It sucks to get old sometimes.

BTW I hate the opiate pain killers, now waiting for the Ducolac to work.

· Registered
7,522 Posts
Hope everything goes good with your knees! I need my left knee done but I been putting it off.

There is no GOLD in the GOLDEN YEARS unless you are a Doctor.

· Registered
196 Posts
Hope you heal up quickly and correctly so you can get back out in the breeze. I know that I am needing a hip replacement but am not looking forward to that. Definitely going to try to schedule it during the winter time.

· Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Heal up fast & get back on the road. I could've have both knees replaced, but at 67yo, I'll wait until I get old. LOL
You have to watch out for that old stuff, when you get to the point you really want it done it might be hard to find a doc willing to take the risk on elective surgery. I am only 62 and had to get cleared from 2 other docs prior to the scope.

· Registered
1,205 Posts
Hope everything goes good with your knees! I need my left knee done but I been putting it off.

There is no GOLD in the GOLDEN YEARS unless you are a Doctor.
The worse thing you can do is put it off! That's like saying "I hear a knocking in the crankcase, but I'll put it off until the tires need to be redone." 2 things, 1. It isn't going to get better on its own, and @. It could get a whole lot worse and do considerable more damage! If your Doctor recommends a scope, AFTER looking at MRI's and CT's, then get the scope, a torn meniscus can either be repaired or shaved, and either will go a long way to relieving your pain AND will help the joint last longer. Trust me.

It never ceases to amaze me how we are so meticulous in caring for our machines, but neglect ourselves.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.