were going to Des Moines for 2 days to see family. So I decided thats not

enough time off so were thinking about heading down to the Ozarks for a

couple of days. Anyone got any good places to stay around there,things to

do and see cause weve never been there.

Thanks

·
Registered
235 Posts
Well, the Ozarks stretch from central Missouri down into Arkansas, so you have a pretty big area to explore. The Lake Of The Ozarks can be crowded, especially during peak summer times, and you have to watch out for the drunks around towns in the evenings. There are tons of really good roads through central/southern MO, so you would have to work hard to be disappointed. I've heard that MO-19 is a really good ride, but I haven't been on it myself. Check the MODOT site for construction events.

Where to stay, what to see? Again, you'll find a bazillion options in the Lake area and if you really want to experience touristy stuff at its best (or worst), then you can head for the Branson area, then take one of my favorite roads, US-160, east across the southern part of the state.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Lots of places to stay in the Ozarks branson is a real tourist trap but there is a lot to do shows and restaurants stay off highway 76 south of Brandon its a good road silver dollar city is;a good amusement park.you can drop down into Arkansas Boss and I have traveled all of south MO.leave me a message if you want to know any recommendations. Ride hard ride safe.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input we are just looking for a place close to the water with beer close by for night time. During the day do a little riding and see the countryside.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You may want to try Branson it is on Table Rock lake. Much. To do and a variety of some very good entertainment shows.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
235 Posts
Or you could go to eureaka springs ark. And ride the pig trail you wont be bored. And it is avery motorcycle frinedly. Just dont go on weekends the rooms go up 25-to40 percent.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Thanks for the input we are just looking for a place close to the water with beer close by for night time. During the day do a little riding and see the countryside.
There's not all that much scenic riding to be done there, mostly improved highways to get people there from the population centers. Lake of the Ozarks is 95% lake and 5% Ozarks so as long as you aren't expecting mountains or twisties you'll have a nice enough time. If you aren't big into shopping, steer your wife clear of the factory outlet mall or you'll be there all day. Also, LOTO is St Louis's summer getaway spot so expect big crowds on weekends.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Stop in Lamberts restraunt in Ozark MO. just south of Springfield off of 65 best hot rolls anywhere and they will through them at you all day long.And Eureka Srings is very biker freindly Ozark Mountain jubalee is one of the best shows in the Ozarks and they dont jump hotel prices unless there is a big event such bike blues and bbq there hurting for tourism sence gas has bin so high most around 79$ hgy 62 good ride from harrison to rogers pig trail harley great dealership

·
Registered
513 Posts
Just came from Branson this past weekend and found some really good riding. It's a lot of curves and if i remember right I think this is about 150 miles or so.

note: make sure to top off the tank before you take this trip -

Follow 13 South to Arkansas (13 turns into 221/21 once in AR) and go to 62 in Berryville, take a right on 62 over to 23 in Eureka Springs, follow 23 and take a left on to State Highway 187 (at this point 23 actually goes right but you will want to take the 187) through the town of Beaver and follow it out to 62 and take a left, follow 62 over to 37 and take a right, go to DD/112 (it's the 2nd gas station on the right) and take a right, follow that to State Highway F and take a right (look for Roaring River State Park signs and follow those - F will be at the bottom of a big hill on the right - it almost turns back the way you came), follow that to 86 and take a left and go to 76 then take a right. 76 will take you all the way back to Branson, MO.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Did you find anything? I am heading down there this weekend and I kind of have a plan, I am going to camp around the Osage Beach area unless it gets too hot. I would think that it would be a good place to ride but I have not heard much about it. I found several rides on this website.
http://www.touringtheozarks.com/html/truman_loop.html

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jiggydogo No I havent made any reservations yet but my brotherinlaw said they go to Osage Beach and stay. So I think thats where we are going to look for a room and ride out of there for a few days. Let me know about the roads you enjoyed. Thanks

·
Registered
235 Posts
Well, MO-7 and MO-5 have some potential, US-65 will be busy with tourist traffic, but it's the main drag through the lake area and you'll see everything to be seen.

When I go down there, I try to stay on roads with letters for names...Z, ZZ, U, T...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Well, MO-7 and MO-5 have some potential, US-65 will be busy with tourist traffic, but it's the main drag through the lake area and you'll see everything to be seen.

When I go down there, I try to stay on roads with letters for names...Z, ZZ, U, T...
They have bypassed most of that area.....and it is hwy 54.....not 65 that goes through Camdenton and Lake Of The Ozarks. Just take any exit off of the bypass in the Lake Of The Ozark area and get on the old Hwy 54 for all of the tourist trap type stuff.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Ok, for the best of Missouri Riding, check out this site. I'd stay away from Branson and Lake of the Ozarks, unless you like crowds, traffic, cheap tourist places. For the absolute best riding in the Ozarks, it is Eureka Springs, Arkansas. Biker Friendly, fantastic roads to ride, decent hotels can be found (Riders Rest is nice, just don't spill your beer on the parking lot :eek:).

I've been down there twice and the area is as close to a Bikers Paradise as you are going to find.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Doh! Not sure where my mind was when I typed 65...a friend had a house on the Lake near Camdenton and I went there several times a year (Ha-Ha Tonka Park rocks...) so of course it's 43...um, 87...er, 54.

So, to the OP...you have a bunch of ideas, opinions, errors, and general guidance; whatcha gonna do?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bars/Resturants in the Lake Area: Backwater Jacks, Salty Dog, Shady Gators, Shorty Pants, Horny Toad, Bog Dicks and Captain Ron's all on the water most with live entertainment. Many great land based Biker Bars as well. Good HD dealership in Osage Beach. If you road to every restaurant bar above it would take a full day and the ride would be scenic. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
117 Posts
jiggydogo No I havent made any reservations yet but my brotherinlaw said they go to Osage Beach and stay. So I think thats where we are going to look for a room and ride out of there for a few days. Let me know about the roads you enjoyed. Thanks
smitty
I just got back and I gotta say that you would be hard pressed to find a bad road to ride in the Arkansas Ozarks area. The Missouri roads that I found aren't bad either. I did a lot of riding about 1600 miles in four days including approx 300 miles in thunderstorms and downpours to get home today. A quick plug... I've never been on a bike that compares to the RGU, it devoured the twisties, I never found its limits in the curves (perhaps because I was riding alone and was somewhat conservative) 40 mile wind gusts in the thunderstorms today and it barely even shrugged but I was holding on for dear life.
OK to the rides.
Day 1 Indy to Springfield could have easily gone on to Eureka Springs that day but I had dinner plans in springfield that night.
Next day Day 2 I left at sunrise for eureka springs I took 65 south down past branson to 86 (very good missouri road) to 21 (21 is awesome and I was off and on it during the day) to 62 into Eureka Springs after a quick stop at HD I started south on 23 the pig trail, the actual pig trail is only the stretch of 23 through the Ozark National Park, before I got to the park I turned west on 16 and started heading for the buffalo river. I decided to stop and ask the locals what the most popular roads in the area were (the girls at HD just pointed me to a stack of ride maps that I am sure would be great but only having two days I was looking for the cream of the crop) so I stopped at a tiny gas station at the corner of 16 and 21 s I dont know wht it was called it just had a sign that said open and the owner, another lady selling goat milk and a couple from Fort Smith told me that I just had to do the Buffalo river 'loop' so I obliged. I continued on 16 to 7 north to Jasper where I had lunch at the Ozark Inn then to 74 west which took me back to 21 and then back to 16 and then on to 23 where I finished the pig trail and spent the night in Ozark at the Ozark Inn. The Ozark Inn is right at the end of 23 and it is clean and quiet. All of the roads were spectacular an the people were very nice. The area is not really that commercial.
Day 3 took off at sunrise and went west on 40 to Clarksville and caught 123 (they call it the Arkansas Dragons tail) I road 123 north all the way to Mount Judea, coming down the mountain to Mount Judea was very tricky and I thought that it would be a lot harder to go up it so I went back up it and I was right! By the way Day 1 and Day 2 I hardly seen any other people on these roads unless I was near a decent sized town.
At Mount judea I took 74 west back to Jasper and then north on 7 to 14 to 125 to Peel where I took the free ferry across Bull Shoals Lake and then on 125 into Missouri and up through Mark Twain National Forest (this road is pretty decent) to 76 to 5 and then 5 all the way up to the Osage Beach area (via 54) I had hoped to do the Truman Loop while I was in Osage Beach but it was so hot on sunday that I was beat and happy to fall into the pool at the Scottish Inn in Osage Beach.
Day 4 rode home in thunderstorms.
Summary: You can turn down any road in the Arkansas Ozarks area and be happy. In Missouri I didn't see much but the further south I went the better the roads. Have fun bud!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Just my .02, but the traffic around Osage Beach/Camdenton is a madhouse on the weekends, especially since the "improvements" in Osage Beach a couple years ago. Take the tips from several of the other guys, and head on down to Eureka Springs, AR. It's just about another 100-125 miles, and you're in the middle of biker heaven(road-wise), and it's a pretty cool little town with plenty of places to eat and night life.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Just be very careful riding around the Lake Of The Ozarks. People pay NO attention to motorcycles down there. They only care about getting somewhere quickly. Once you are away from there you are ok. Ha Ha Tonka is cool and then you take Hwy D south to 64 west over to Bennett Springs which is a very nice ride.

I would suggest rides over to Pomme De Terre and Stockton lakes for some great rides. Not anywhere near the traffic. Best riding in the Ozarks is going to be Springfield South.

Just spent a week down in Arkansas around Bull Shoals lake. Riding was awesome. Hwy 125 south of Sparta all the way downtown to the Peel Ferry is a must ride for everyone.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts