Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.
We are in the planning stages of putting a week long group ride around Lake Superior.
Either last week of July of first week of Aug.
I found this site very informative.

Ride Lake Superior | Ride Lake Superior Motorcycle Tour, Epic Motorcycle Journey, Ontario, Canada, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin,

Other than the obvious...are there any hidden gems?
Any places not mentioned that are worth checking out?
Here is our constantly changing itinerary lol.

Frid night Tobermory ON
Sat night SSM ON
Sun night Munising MI
Mon night Copper Harbor MI
Tue night Superior WI.
Wed night Nipigon ON.
Thur and Fri night Batachawan Bay ON
Saturday night Tobermory ON
Sunday home.

We are looking for water falls...great pull offs...nice places for a cold beer...nice patio bars.
Other great places to take pics.
Any great mom and pops to stay at.
The website above is very informative I'm just looking for maybe places not listed.
All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Holy crap!!! I am sitting here at work right now doing the exact same thing!!! Just playing around with google maps though. I will look at what the site has, but just going by my own memory, there are a LOT of waterfalls and great sites heading up 61 north of Duluth on your way up to Thunder bay. I am sure they have gooseberry falls and I think cut creek as well, but it has been a few years since I have been up that way.

Thank you for the find!!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
When passing through Ironwood Mich. the highlight of the ride for the day has always been to stop at copperpeak ski flying hill and take the elevator ride to the top. google it and make the stop, you will be glad you did. On the way to Copper harbor stop at Toni's country kitchen in Laurium Mich. (google it) and get a local fare food item called a pastie to go and eat it at the top of Brockway Mtn. at the look out. If you miss the turnout for Brockway stop along the lake at one of the many areas is good also for your picnic lunch. While going from Copper harbor to Ironwood instead or dropping down to 28 head west to Ontonagon (along the lake) continue west to the Porcupine Mtn. state park and take the south boundary road of the park to 519 and on into Wakefield and hwy28. Have a good time.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Along the North Shore you have to stop at Gooseberry Falls. Also recommend Temperance River and Kakabeka falls.

The North Shore and the UP of Michigan are both known for some amazing waterfalls.

When you hit the Keweena Peninsula (UP Michigan) make sure you swing through the Porcupine Mountains (South Boundary Road) and make the quick swing up to Lake of the Clouds. Both are highlights of the UP.

Been up to the UP three times in the last 5 years and making another trip this summer. Great riding up that way.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When passing through Ironwood Mich. the highlight of the ride for the day has always been to stop at copperpeak ski flying hill and take the elevator ride to the top. google it and make the stop, you will be glad you did. On the way to Copper harbor stop at Toni's country kitchen in Laurium Mich. (google it) and get a local fare food item called a pastie to go and eat it at the top of Brockway Mtn. at the look out. If you miss the turnout for Brockway stop along the lake at one of the many areas is good also for your picnic lunch. While going from Copper harbor to Ironwood instead or dropping down to 28 head west to Ontonagon (along the lake) continue west to the Porcupine Mtn. state park and take the south boundary road of the park to 519 and on into Wakefield and hwy28. Have a good time.
See now this is exactly what I'm looking for.
I was going to hit up Subway in Laurium and take it to a picnic area but your idea sounds so much better.
Coming from Ontario I've heard of "pastie" but never tried it.
This will be the perfect time to do so.
Ski flying hill sounds like a great way to break up the day....I love it!
Some great info here ^^^^ thanks so much.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Along the North Shore you have to stop at Gooseberry Falls. Also recommend Temperance River and Kakabeka falls.

The North Shore and the UP of Michigan are both known for some amazing waterfalls.

When you hit the Keweena Peninsula (UP Michigan) make sure you swing through the Porcupine Mountains (South Boundary Road) and make the quick swing up to Lake of the Clouds. Both are highlights of the UP.

Been up to the UP three times in the last 5 years and making another trip this summer. Great riding up that way.
I didnt know about Temperance River but we will check it out for sure...Thanks for this.
I wasnt sure about Lake of Clouds but the google pics look great so we will check them out also.

Found a great Hot Dog place in Munising that I'm just dying to try :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
planning the same trip, just starting in WI, we love the north shore area, lots to see. I have only been to the UP Michigan area snowmobiling so the summer time should be good also. The website has a lot of info but also a lot of high volume tourist spots, i like to avoid that type of vibe when I can. I agree, Gooseberry, Temperance and I also like Grand Maraise, cool little town but a LOT of tourists on the weekends.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Holy crap!!! I am sitting here at work right now doing the exact same thing!!! Just playing around with google maps though. I will look at what the site has, but just going by my own memory, there are a LOT of waterfalls and great sites heading up 61 north of Duluth on your way up to Thunder bay. I am sure they have gooseberry falls and I think cut creek as well, but it has been a few years since I have been up that way.

Thank you for the find!!!
Hey Ick....what are the odds lol.
Ya Ive been talking with friends back home and they are really into this trip.
I've found quite a few nice pull offs on my own and I'll try and make a map tomorrow.
I couldnt find Cut Creek. :(

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 12 of 12 Posts