Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I'm currently spending my mandatory 2 years of "Headquarters Staff Experience" time in Winnipeg MB but just got tasked to spend Mid-May to Mid-July in Ontario on a tasking for work. I'm pretty excited about the trip because it gives me an ideal time to do the Lake Superior loop trip - North side on the way to Ontario in mid-May, South side through MI, WI, MN, ND in mid-July on the way back - all the while having work pay for most of it :grin:.

Question is, if I'm planning on coming back along the south side of superior in mid-July, can any recommend some don't-miss spots to hit (food, hotels, meals, bars, exotic entertainment, etc)? I'm a 26 yr old single male so let any ideas go; I'll likely be game for just about anything to stay on the road and not come back to work as quickly.

Thanks,

DBen

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you find yourself taking I-75 north through the lower peninsula of MI on your way to da UP, definitely stop at Tony's I-75 Restaurant in Birch Run (~20 minutes north of Flint). I recommend their BLT, but you might want to skip a day's worth of meals before going.
Stop in Mackinaw City (unless you want to head out to the island itself) and pick up some Mackinac Island Fudge.
Not sure if you're into outdoorsy-stuff or not, but there's tons of that kind of thing throughout the UP from Tahquamenon Falls, to the Porcupine Mtns. The Keweenaw Peninsula is full of stuff too. HIGHLY recommend the Keweenaw Brewery in Houghton. Their Red Jacket Amber Ale is my favorite.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you have time, stop in Munising, MI. The pictured rocks are amazing. There is a glass bottom boat tour that will take you out over 3 different historic shipwrecks, which was really awesome. Miner's Castle, Miner's Beach, and Miner's Falls are great places to see as well. My wife and I went out there 2 years ago, but time was limited, so we didn't get to do everything we wanted to. The things I mentioned are some of the things we did manage to see. When you get to MN, hit me up. I live in Duluth, and there are quite a few places to see here, being that it's a tourist city. I'd be happy to show you around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After going through last summer on the prairies this is standing operating procedure for May-July :laugh:

If you're going around the top in mid May you may want to keep your speed up unless you have a blackfly net in your helmet :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
On the North Shore of Superior on the Minnesota side, there are seven waterfalls, or sets of falls, just off of Highway 61 that runs right along the lake. We hit three of the seven last summer and are heading back up in then end of June and will hit up the last four.

Here's a link of what you can find.

The Ultimate Minnesota Waterfalls Road Trip

On the way, I highly recommend Northern Lights Roadhouse just outside of Silver Bay on the south side of town. You can enjoy a refreshing beverage on their outdoor patio that overlooks the lake. It's beautiful. Here's a link to it.
Northern Lights Roadhouse and Pub

1 - 6 of 6 Posts