Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good morning RG friends

I was told by a friend of mine that if I put a bigger front wheel on my '17 RGS, the ABS will no longer work. Is this correct?

·
Registered
960 Posts
How big are you talking? As far as I’m aware of, as long as you have abs bearings you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1st Sgt

·
Registered
163 Posts
you will need an abs bearing that is calibrated for the rim size you choose. I am running a 23 and had abs issue, tried the tracmax plug in box but still got abs codes. replaced the front left bearing with one from mc baggers for 23" abs and have had no problems since.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Huh! I was literally just discussing this with a friend. Common sense would dictate an adjustment of some sort when changing the overall OD of a wheel and tire assembly, no?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I had a 21" on my 15 and my 17. I put in the Harley ABS bearings and never had any issues.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the advice. I'm thinking about a 23", I'll keep you posted and put up a pic when it's complete

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I had a 21" wheel installed on my bike during bikeweek last year, as long as I was cruising around town I had no issues. But as soon as I jumped on the highway and hit about 70 to 75mph the ABS light would come on. I went back to the vendor I bought the wheel from and they took my bearing out of my stock wheel (they still had it because they were shipping it to me) and installed it in the new wheel. Exact same issue occured. So I went back the next day and just had them reimburse my money and put my stock wheel back on. The guy said he had the right bearing to fix the problem back at his shop in South carolina but I told him no thanks. So long story short.... if you change the wheel size you need to have the correct bearing to offset the size difference.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had a 21" wheel installed on my bike during bikeweek last year, as long as I was cruising around town I had no issues. But as soon as I jumped on the highway and hit about 70 to 75mph the ABS light would come on. I went back to the vendor I bought the wheel from and they took my bearing out of my stock wheel (they still had it because they were shipping it to me) and installed it in the new wheel. Exact same issue occured. So I went back the next day and just had them reimburse my money and put my stock wheel back on. The guy said he had the right bearing to fix the problem back at his shop in South carolina but I told him no thanks. So long story short.... if you change the wheel size you need to have the correct bearing to offset the size difference.
Had a 21" installed on my 2011 SG during Myrtle Beach bike week, no issues with ABS. Doesn't make sense that after changing to your original bearing you still had the same issue.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
On 2014 and newer Touring bikes the ABS is linked and therefore if you change the front wheel size to 21" or larger you need a corrective ABS bearing so that your ABS still functions correctly. Just make sure whoever you buy wheels from puts the correct ABS bearings in the wheels and you won't have any issues. We put corrective ABS bearings in every 21", 23", 26", and 30" we sell on 2014 and newer Touring bikes with no issues.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Had a 21" installed on my 2011 SG during Myrtle Beach bike week, no issues with ABS. Doesn't make sense that after changing to your original bearing you still had the same issue.
well actually it does, if you think about it the wheel I had installed was a 21", the factory wheel is a 19", the way I understand it takes a different bearing to compensate for the difference. After that happened I talked to a guy at the "RC Components" display and he said the same thing, it wasnt the proper bearing for a 21" wheel.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Just basing my guess on common sense and a bit of mechanical backround, but a properly functioning ABS system probably means a lot more than just no ABS light coming on. "No issues" is a relative term.

If You were to use a stock ABS bearing on a bigger wheel, it would take some pretty extensive testing before and after to verify that the ABS system was still functioning as designed.

The light means something is wrong for sure... but it's not gonna tell You everything... just a panic button or fire alarm in the system.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts