Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I just received my Drag Specialties Latch Inserts for my '13 FLTRX, so I removed the stock (ugly) red reflectors, and after cleaning all the additional residue, tried to install the new inserts. Unfortunately they don't fit! I Think one side could be gently persuaded, but not so sure I really want to put that much pressure on it. The other side will definitely not go in. Has anyone else seen this?

I have also been scouring the net to find alternatives, and there is nothing out there. Is Drag Specialties the only route? Anyone have a suggestion as to who I can get some from? I am travelling to Phoenix next week, so may try a few of the Bagger shops and see what they have.

·
Super Moderator
1,816 Posts
Part number?

To help you out, you need to help us out with a little more information. What part number and if you can name them or the manufacturer that would be great too? This may help narrow down the search for folks that have already bought and installed those same parts.

You can buy all new latch covers from many diff mfg in many different designs. Check out Precision Billet in Gilbert AZ, they make some pretty cool stuff.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Calgaryglide!

I purchased Drag Specialties Saddlebag Latch Inserts Ball-Milled Die-Casting - Black Powdercoat - Part #35010761.

I did look at all new latches, however the cost was a bit prohibitive for right now. I am looking more for a quick cosmetic improvement at the moment. (Spent all my money last month on the Intake and Exhaust!!)

·
Super Moderator
1,816 Posts
Powder Coat

Hello,

Okay, looked them up in the catalogue. I wonder if the powder coating is a little to thick along the edges and that is why they won't fit. For good adhesion you should always give the back side of the piece a good scratch with some rough sandpaper. I would gently sand the edges with a very fine sandpaper and keep trialing them for fit. They should be manufactured with the thickness of the powder coating in mind for the final dimensions but that doesn't always happen as planned.

If you can, post some pictures of the way they won't fit now. That will also help with some brainstorming.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again!! Over the winter I am going to try wet sanding the sides to see if I can get them to fit in. Speaking with a buddy, he mentioned that he's seen many with the same problem. Once I start sanding, I'll post some pics!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
...I have also been scouring the net to find alternatives, and there is nothing out there.

Oh but there is!!! Link in above post!!! IF you are on FB.... Look up Legacy Baggers and check out his work for dash and latch inserts and much more.

Benji is SUPERB to work with for anything you want.. straight up custom laser engraved inserts that are fantastic in detail!

I have Dash and latch inserts that I designed and he brought them to life for me. I even have Grille Medallions

Look him up!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh but there is!!! Link in above post!!! IF you are on FB.... Look up Legacy Baggers and check out his work for dash and latch inserts and much more.

Thanks Spazz!! His stuff looks amazing! I was finally able to fit the inserts I have... I just had to use the Dremmel to remove some of the powdercoat on the sides (pic attached), but I will definitely talk to him about some other pieces that I'd like to get!

Attachments

·
Registered
951 Posts
I've been considering him for some custom work. I like to hear good about happy customers before spending my hard earned cash. Thanks for the review.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts