Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have already been talked about... I'm doing some upgrades on my bike. I've been doing a lot of reading about what it takes to put a newer model wheel on an older bike. But I also plan to order a set of chrome fork legs. So I got to wondering, if I can just order the fork legs to match the newer wheel I wanted to use. I'm sure it's not that simple. I don't know when things changed on the front suspension. Any thoughts or experience? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
12,295 Posts
Starting in 14 the front forks are bigger, they will not fit in the same triple tree as the 13 down.

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Unfortunitly, dbell66253 is correct.

There is only one solution available and that is the TourTrac Tree from Custom Cycle Engineering

Custom Cycle Engineering

Custom Cycle Engineering: TourTrac Tree

Custom Cycle Engineering - Triple Trees for Dressers?

I have the TourTrac Tree from Custom Cycle Engineering along with a set of Progressive monotubes, but I have not yet installed all the parts.

It is expensive, but it is worth it! (or so I have heard)

Good luck, Shimaze
That is not correct. Long before there was 49mm on baggers and before there were cartridges and good suspension I was in Ohlins shop in NC where I had access to all of Ohlins parts. My first idea was to put 25mm Ohlins cartridges (Triumph) and fit them inside of a set of 41mm forks. After investigating how much the 41mm flexes I caned that project. I was discussing the benefits of clamping the top triple tree on a bagger and did something about it. I manufactured trees for inverted forks onto baggers in the 2007~8 area.

When the 2006 Dynas came out I started putting the new Ohlins 30mm cartridges in them and started doing dual calipers on them with various calipers & rotor sizes. I came to the realization that the 41mm were not adequate as they flex like angle hair pasta al dente. At the time I posted on the HDF a film I did using LED's and a glow stick as an indicator. In the 2006 I spoke about the mistake of a bolt and bolt system used to fasten in the pre-2014 forks. This was a hinge arrangement which never tightened the fork to hold them in place in the top trees. I got to work and designed, developed and manufactured my trees to work in any 1986~2013 FLT using the 1" steering stem and drops in like OEM. There are several RG.ORG members using this system as well as many others on all of the forums. I use my 30mm fully adjustable compression, rebound, and spring pre-load cartridges in all 49mm forks. I am the very first who discussed and implemented a top clamped tree & how pitiful the 41mm are on a modern motorcycle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wow

FastHarley, I know who you are from the other forum. Yes, you did advocate the use of the pinch bolt long before Harley used them on the Rushmore and OMG you do know every possible thing about suspensions. And I am not being a smart ass either. When I talked to Öhlins at the Vtwin Expo, the guys at the booth said the same thing!

I thought your setup was only in the prototype stage and never really went into production? Obviously I was wrong...

When I replied, I was mainly talking about the average guy with average tools & average money and using off the shelf parts. Very few of us have had the luxury of working for Öhlins. You look like you have an awesome setup. I wish I knew that your product was available before I spent well over a grand in my 41mm forks. Do you sell this fork setup and how much does it cost?

To answer the original question: Why can't we use the 49mm forks on our 2013 & down baggers, provided we have special trees that adapts to the larger tubes?

With all the Rushmore lowers I see on Craigslist for a couple of $20s and relative low cost of Progressive monotubes. If someone, such as yourself, could offer a kit that used the factory Rushmore lowers and some Progressives, I think they would sell well. And maybe Öhlins could be an option for those wanting to spend a little more on better cartridges.

Tell me more, no rush :wink:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting stuff. More detail than I was expecting. Looking forward to what FastHarley says about his system...

It in the meantime...

Am I correct that if I'm wanting to put, say a 2012 front wheel on my 2000 RoadGlide, and I want to order a new chrome set for the front end anyway... I can just put 2012 forks on and the wheel will bolt on with the 2012 axles and stuff? Or am I still better off just ordering chrome cowbells and fork lowers for the 2000, then getting the different axles, spacers, and stuff needed to adapt the newer wheel? I'm trying to figure into it, the ability to mount newer brakes and stuff as well. I haven't looked at pricing on either way, so I may be looking at something that is just too expensive for what benefit you'd get.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Tax Time with no time

Have to do taxes for a few more days. What I have to say about what I thought (answering the above post) about has already been tested and on a RG.ORG members bike and he goes to most of the rallies with it. We tested on his bike for over one year prior to offering it for sale a couple of years ago. There are many people who have put this system on their bike for more than 2 years and their reviews can be found on many of the forums and several on the top 3 chat sites. As always, my product speaks for itself. Just have to look or ask questions. The whole idea was to offer a stiff, top clamped, 30mm fully adjustable (compression, rebound, and spring pre-load adjustable system) for those who demand the best there is. I also use the same trees for inverted forks either KYB or Ohlins, depending on your price point.
Look closely how they are made, nothing else offered on the market to compare with them. Just go to a RG.ORG rally and ask around as you can not see the difference to the untrained eye as most parts just switch over.

·
Registered
173 Posts
FastHarley,

To answer the original question: Why can't we use the 49mm forks on our 2013 & down baggers, provided we have special trees that adapts to the larger tubes?

With all the Rushmore lowers I see on Craigslist for a couple of $20s and relative low cost of Progressive monotubes. If someone, such as yourself, could offer a kit that used the factory Rushmore lowers and some Progressives, I think they would sell well. And maybe Öhlins could be an option for those wanting to spend a little more on better cartridges.

Tell me more, no rush :wink:
1: Why can't we use the 49mm forks on our 2013 & down baggers, provided we have special trees that adapts to the larger tubes?
>>> You can and many send me the new fork tubes & 2014 < sliders. Just had to ask

2: could offer a kit that used the factory Rushmore lowers and some Progressives
>>> I do not want anything to do with Progressives (monotubes). I do not have anything to do with that segment of HD. The FKC-102 are in the same price range but after re-Valving them and putting on the correct springs to make it work for the individual rider, there is just one product in that category. Go up to a 30mm Ohlins cartridge, which is about twice the cost for the 25mm FKC-102 cartridges, that is a category where no one is in other than 30mm Ohlins. These products are not designed for everyone. You just have to pick your own level of discerning values. You only know what you have ridden to understand the possibilities.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just asked this same question somewhere else a day or 2 ago and came here just to see if I could find anything else, then I see it's the top post.

One thing I wondering, is the stem or neck a different size in the 2014+ models? If so, Is it possible to just put the older stem and bearings in the newer model trees with 49mm forks? It seems those parts are cheap and easy to come by second hand, then all you have left is to drop in some bad ass cartridges.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I've been running motorcycle metals 49mm forks with Ohlins 30mm fully adjustable cartridges for several years along with Ohlins remote resovour shocks in the rear. Expensive, yes but the comfort, control and handling is so far superior to anything on the market I feel it is worth it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts