Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I rode from just north of Phoenix, AZ to Redding, CA to have my custom seat made at Russell "Day-Long" Saddle. It was a 2,000 mile round trip on the RGU.

First things first, I am thrilled with the new seat. I went with the (more resilient) black vinyl covering as I can't reliably get my leg up and over the seat every time as I could when I was younger (and it doesn't show scuffing as easily as leather does, not to mention it's easier on the pocketbook than leather). I've never had a heated seat before, and I got one this time. I am now officially spoiled. Previously, I had to stop and take a break every 65 to 75 miles because of the leg and butt pain. The first time I rode on the seat I went 110 miles before stopping...and I had absolutely no pain...anywhere. It's truly a "day-long" saddle. I was able to continue riding in sessions of 100 to 125 miles for the 1000 mile journey home with no issues. I now understand why they recommend this seat for Iron Butt rides. I've attached a few photos of the seat below.

Next, while I was fortunate to have mostly good weather, I did run into two days of rain on the road. Although I was dreading riding in the rain, I found that because my "Spidey-senses" were at their peak while doing 70+ mph on the freeway in the wind and rain, dodging cagers and 18 wheelers, I got shots of adrenaline the likes of which I hadn't experienced in a very long time. I honestly felt like I was 16 again at times. It was great!

I am so grateful to be physically able to ride on long distance rides again. Five years ago I was afraid that I'd never be able to ride for more than 15 or 20 miles at a time. Life is good again!

So that's two 2000+ mile road trips in a little over a month on the new RGU and I'm still thrilled with the bike. I feel like I'm just getting warmed up! I am really looking forward to meeting everyone that is planning to attend Shark Week VIII in Durango in July!

Cheers! :grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Is it more comfortable then the HD hammock seat?
Night and Day vs the Hammock seat. I’ve use mine on three bikes. Proper fitmemt is key.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it more comfortable then the HD hammock seat?
I can't personally speak as to how it compares to the HD Hammock seat but I can tell you that it absolutely blows away both the HD factory seat that came with the bike and the Mustang seat which I had also used. It's made with "wing" extensions that support your entire seated area so that there's no more thigh pain or "butt bone" pain. It's absolutely the best investment that I've ever made in a touring bike. It's not as sexy looking as a lot of other custom seats out there but I was looking for the most comfortable ride that I could find, and I believe that I found it!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Just a possible suggestion for the mounting problem.

Try using the floorboard on the high side. In other words right foot on the right side floorboard, up and over and viola!

I started doing it after my hip was replaced and I have been kicking myself ever since for not doing it earlier.

Mike

·
Registered
721 Posts
I think it looks awsome. I find it very beautiful. Congratulations.

It would be nice to see what people having Hammocks say about.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Every seat made has people who love it and people who hate it. Seats are a very personal item.

I tried the Harley Hammock seat for 100 miles and couldn't stand it.

The Corbins work better for me.

I have yet to splurge on a Russel Day Long because I usually don't keep a bike long enough to justify the cost.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Thanks for sharing! I'm in the market as we speak. Glad the new seat worked out for you!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just a possible suggestion for the mounting problem.

Try using the floorboard on the high side. In other words right foot on the right side floorboard, up and over and viola!

I started doing it after my hip was replaced and I have been kicking myself ever since for not doing it earlier.

Mike
Mike,

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts