Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if I am going about this the right way, but I have installed some LED's on my speakers, and would like to be able to turn them on when the bike is not running and locked. I think I will need to have a direct lead from the batter to be able to do this.

So it seems like I will need a lead from the positive side and one from the negative, and the positive should be fused. Is there a way to run a control switch up to the nacelle under the handlebars? I would love to put one in there and then eventually add more LEDs to the whole bike all fed off that same circuit and controlled from the same place.

I am not very good with electrical. I can handle a lot, in fact, installed all of the wiring for the stereo upgrades, pulled tank, etc. no problems. I am just a little confused on this one. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
896 Posts
I think your logic is correct. You should be able to run wires under the tank along the backbone of the bike and go under the nacelle.

Another suggestion for the switch location: (forgive my lack of technical terms) behind the motor above/behind the starter there is a metal plate that runs diagonal upwards. There are a few predrilled holes in that plate. You can screw a switch in one of those holes and keep your handlebar area clean.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Don't know yr your bike, I'd put a hidden switch under seat pan to the left, run pwr fairing mount tounder tank and junction on fairing mount to left, ya know that hollow space, access by turning bars to left, no pinch, switch near under seat could pwr front and back runs of lights, I'd likely pwr from fuse block on left and not battery

·
Registered
43 Posts
As reds4 and mailman13357 said before me ... try and conceal the switch.

As much as we all love our bikes there are idiots out there who will walk up to your bike and flip switches just because they are fucking retards. You don't want to walk back to your bike and find a dead battery bud.

Also as reds4 said, run it off the fuse box or if you aren't comfortable doing that then I would recommend installing an inline fuse on your wiring harness.

http://ledlightstore.com/1025-1025-...ness-with-Toggle-Switch-Inline-Fuse-and-Relay

Use the link above as an example to build a harness similar to what these guys have for their product (i got that link from a google search). though now that I think of it I am sure one can find something like that at the local RV/trailer store or an auto store. I vaguely remember seeing an expandable LED wiring kit at autozone a cpl years ago also.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took your advice do put it under the seat. I got a sweet looking toggle switch that would have almost matched my factory dash switches perfectly, but agreed with your statement about the idiots, and since it is a hot switch, thought better of it. Right now it is only powering the speaker LEDs, but I will soon be ordering a full bike kit to light up the night! Vehicle Motorcycle accessories Auto part Motorcycle Technology
Automotive lighting Auto part Vehicle

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.