Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like it's my shifter seal that's leaking. I pulled the snap ring and the washer, but I'm not seeing any seal in there. Does something else need removed to access the seal?

I don't have my seals yet, the ups guy should bring them tomorrow. I have a main shaft seal coming too. I'm planning to pull the sprocket to look at it, but I am thinking the shifter shaft seal is the culprit. Also replacing the other seal on the back of the primary.

What do you think? Worth pulling the sprocket just to be sure?

· Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Before you pull it apart any further I'd use a mirror to see if it can be seen behind there.
Good idea! Looked behind the sprocket using a mirror, looks a little wet but it's most likely from oil blowing in there, nothing like the shifter shaft. I am going to leave it alone for now.

Worst case, I have to tear it down again. If that's the case, I'm sure it will go faster since I have experience doing it now.

· Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got my seals today, and once I saw what the shift shat seal is supposed to look like, I knew for sure that was the source. There was basically a dry rotted little band of rubber left. The new one hasd a lot more rubber on there and was even snug getting it on. I decided not to dig into the main seal, as there was no inkling of any oil leaking from there, plus, I didn't really know what tool I would need to get the nut off, I would need a really really deep well socket to get that.

I got the chan case assemble with new seals, and buttoned up, and filled with formula plus. My only issue was getting that damn started back in place. I'm actually a little nervous, and hope it cranks once I'm finished.

All that's left is to fish the stator wire back to the rectifier, and assembling the heel toe shifters, and mounting the floorboards. It's late, and I have to work early tomorrow, so I called it a night. - Having a cold one before I shower and hit the sack.

After I button everything up tomorrow, I still need to install a new rear brake rotor. Hoping to get her out on the street for a test when I'm done.

· Registered
878 Posts
sounds like your nearing the finish line, glad you were able to trace down the leak.

· Registered
7,121 Posts
plus, I didn't really know what tool I would need to get the nut off, I would need a really really deep well socket to get that.
If you want to be ahead of the game in the future go to georgesgarage.com. They sell the specialty tools you need to get to that main bearing seal.

· Registered
7,522 Posts
Usually the seals don't go bad unless the bearing is wearing out, I wouldn't be surprised if the new seals go out again. A worn bearing will allow the shaft to wobble which takes out the seal, a leaking seal is the first sign of bearing failure.

· Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Usually the seals don't go bad unless the bearing is wearing out, I wouldn't be surprised if the new seals go out again. A worn bearing will allow the shaft to wobble which takes out the seal, a leaking seal is the first sign of bearing failure.
That's good info to know!

If it's still leaking after replacing the shifter seal (I'm pretty sure this was the source) and I have to go back in to do the main shaft, I will plan on replacing the bearings at the same time.

I did the other seals on the inner primary since I was in there anyway, they weren't leaking, but the seals wer cheap.

· Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She is back together and the starter turns the engine, well at least it did when I fired her up. I was nervous about that with all the troubles I had getting the starter back on.

Put my new rear floating rotor on, got my tools cleaned up, wiped the major grime of the bike and got ready to road test her. Was going to take a quick scoot to see if she is fixed before the thunderstorm rolled in.

Damn battery is dead, Ughhhhhhh!!! She's on the tender now, guess I'll have to wait till tomorrow to get a road test in.

· Registered
10,584 Posts
She is back together and the starter turns the engine, well at least it did when I fired her up. I was nervous about that with all the troubles I had getting the starter back on.

Put my new rear floating rotor on, got my tools cleaned up, wiped the major grime of the bike and got ready to road test her. Was going to take a quick scoot to see if she is fixed before the thunderstorm rolled in.

Damn battery is dead, Ughhhhhhh!!! She's on the tender now, guess I'll have to wait till tomorrow to get a road test in.
Once you start a project, you don't f#-k around finishing it up. I hope you got it.

· Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So far so good :smile:

Took her out for a short 30 min. ride it it's dry!!! No leaks! I guess time will tell, but I think I got it.

Now I just gotta wonder why the battery went dead when I was working on it. This batterery is only a couple years old. I guess I will take it to get it load tested, and go from there.

The new brake rotor feels nice nor more pulsing in the rear, but still have some up front. When funds allow, I guess I need to order a matching pair of the floating rotors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.