Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here it goes, my buddies 99 road king with a twin cam 88, he serviced it now the derby cover leaks when on the side stand , we changed the gasket, and its still drips even after new bolts we replaced on the cover as well, I am thinking the derby cover must be warped, any thoughts?:confused:

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I have a hard time imagining a derby cover warping. I would check the Gasket and make sure it is good. I would also look for any obstructions that are keeping it from sealing completely. Check the area where each screw enters the primary cover and be sure nothing is bulging out.

·
Super Moderator
1,801 Posts
Put a piece of 2x4 under the kickstand. Remove the derby cover, use a turkey baster to remove 1-2 oz of primary fluid. How much fluid was put in at the last change?

Inspect gasket if there are any tears or gouges, replace it with a new one. Clean the gasket surfaces thoroughly on the primary cover and the derby cover, place the gasket onto the cover, put the bolt through the cover and the gasket at the 12 o clock position, start threading it into the primary cover until it is secure but not torqued. Put the remaining screws back in place and torque the screws in a criss cross pattern like torquing a wheel on a car.

I suspect that too much primary fluid may have been used in the change.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
I will look, but tried 3 different gaskets and still leaks, I wonder if he over filled it?
Good possibility it is overfilled, the older bikes with the 5 speed trans took less primary fluid (32 oz) because the primary cases are a little different than the the newer six speed bikes (36 oz).
It still shouldn't leak even though the primary has too much fluid in it, you could swap out derby covers and see if that helps the problem.

·
Registered
593 Posts
You said you replaced screws? Are all the right length? Aren't bottoming out? I could be wrong (it's been a long time) but are all derby cover screws the same length on earlier years or are they differt lengths? Sounds like a screw is bottoming out and your not torqueing the cover down just tighting the screws.

·
Registered
483 Posts
make sure there is no oil in the grove for the O-Ring, the early twin cam came with a large O-ring to seal the derby and that has been replaced with the gasket you have , if oil gets in the grove from the old o-ring it can leak out

·
Registered
8,779 Posts
If you don't know how much you put in ,here's a pic. It still shouldn't leak when over filled.

Attachments

Reactions: PGR and reds4

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
The old derby covers had the o-ring type gasket. Change it to the solid derby size gasket and you will be good to go. They were bad about leaking with the rubber o-ring.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
If you don't know how much you put in ,here's a pic. It still shouldn't leak when over filled.

+1 On the side stand, even with the cover off, the level should be below the opening.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Since I didn't see a tightening sequence, you may want to try that before replacing the durby cover. When I had my 2003 RK I had the same issue till I did the proper sequence according to the mannual.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I drained the primary checked amount it was correct, the cover is def warped, have a new one on order, thanks everyone.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Well I drained the primary checked amount it was correct, the cover is def warped, have a new one on order, thanks everyone.
A warped cover would do it for sure. It makes one wonder what would cause the derby cover to warp :serious:

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My local Indy told me my buddy's bike is running too hot, sez it could use and oil cooler with all of the engine work he had done, first time I have come across the problem.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
But the engine running too hot shouldn't warp the derby cover.

Reactions: Shadow1
1 - 19 of 19 Posts