Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to swap out the stock HK in my 13. Been doing some research and I think I'm gonna go with a DSX210 or DSX310 for the tray feature. My wife complains about the music I listen to and figured it would be way easier to just have a flash drive or MP3 player and fumbling around with 100 cds. My only concern is the ability to see the display. Anyone running a tune tray radio, what are the pros and cons. Gonna ad an amp and Hertz speakers while I'm at it. Thanks

·
Registered
480 Posts
I've got the marine grade tune tray (not sure which model # it is) but I can see it just fine even with the sun at my back. The marine models supposedly have a display specifically for sun glare.

I'm very happy with it - just got a small flash drive that I leave in there. I only take it out when I want to add or remove a song.... mostly add.

Hope this helps! :)

Edit: I have this one - http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666302256&tab=reviews

I've heard / read some complaints about Ipods / phones overheating.... Can't say from my own experience as I've only used a flash drive. For me its easier than having to insert & remove my phone all the time...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Some what satisfied

Sony DSX-MS60 is the Marine unit. I have the same one my only complaints are the EQ (takes A LOT of using and comparing and adjusting I have logged over 2000 miles already and still am trying to dial it in) and the durability of the knob (which is on all the tune tray models) mine broke (the operation of it) in the first few days. It is a pain to warranty from buying from an online source!

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have an DSX MS60 marine.
eq is a bit of a pain in the buttt, but you get used to it. Only downside I have had in 20,000kms is the faceplate sometimes loses contact with the main unit. Everything still works alright, but the display either disappears or turns to gibberish. I have to push the faceplate in harder to get the display back. not sure if it is adjustable or not but that is a wintertime project.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I have an DSX MS60 marine.
eq is a bit of a pain in the buttt, but you get used to it. Only downside I have had in 20,000kms is the faceplate sometimes loses contact with the main unit. Everything still works alright, but the display either disappears or turns to gibberish. I have to push the faceplate in harder to get the display back. not sure if it is adjustable or not but that is a wintertime project.
I had the same issue with mine. Just yesterday, I simply smeared some dielectric grease on the contacts and it's been solid ever since. Cheap, easy fix.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I forget the model Sony I had on my '05, but the main complaint was the horrible lay out of the faceplate, which really hasn't changed in all of Sony's designs. Performance was great, but the pins on the face plates will wear through, it's probably the biggest complaint, they are definitely not up to this task.

That said I really like the DSX MS60. A great buy.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I looked at the Sony tray models to see if my iPhone 5 would fit inside. That would be a NO. Even when I took it out of the Outterbox case it still wouldnt fit. Its too long. First time I have heard the words its too long .....lol.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Sony DSX-MS60 is the Marine unit. I have the same one my only complaints are the EQ (takes A LOT of using and comparing and adjusting I have logged over 2000 miles already and still am trying to dial it in) and the durability of the knob (which is on all the tune tray models) mine broke (the operation of it) in the first few days. It is a pain to warranty from buying from an online source!
Hey Flatout you got any pics of the Sony powered up with the display showing from riders view? I am sure there are plenty of people that would love to see what it looks like.

·
Registered
272 Posts
CD's :confused::eek:

Just kidding - If you don't have iTunes and an Apple product I would encourage you to invest, about 7 years ago I made a move to get an iPod and got an iTunes account then, at that time I had a 235 cd music library (I listen to all genres) and downloaded every single one into my iTunes account. While I purchase only iTunes music now a days I have built a library of over 3,000 song titles. I have all this on an iTouch inside my Sony MS60 I can search by song title, artist, album, genre and playlist.

I am in no way affiliated with Apple, I am just a construction worker from Ohio that likes to ride and listen to tunes.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
CD's :confused::eek:

Just kidding - If you don't have iTunes and an Apple product I would encourage you to invest, about 7 years ago I made a move to get an iPod and got an iTunes account then, at that time I had a 235 cd music library (I listen to all genres) and downloaded every single one into my iTunes account. While I purchase only iTunes music now a days I have built a library of over 3,000 song titles. I have all this on an iTouch inside my Sony MS60 I can search by song title, artist, album, genre and playlist.

I am in no way affiliated with Apple, I am just a construction worker from Ohio that likes to ride and listen to tunes.
We dont have to all be just sheep. :)

I have the DSX-MS60, and it has a USB adapter as an option for the tray. I bought a few very cheap 64GB USB sticks and put a ton of music on them.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
CD's always skipped at idle for me... and the cd itself always gets pretty beat up bouncing around.

Just need some software to rip the CDs to put them on a thumbdrive, skip the 'iphone/ipod... Only need those devices if all music is in itunes, and even then you can work around that if the library has MP3's. And Microshit makes some music devices too lol..

·
Registered
272 Posts
When you guys are using the flash drives can you create playlists? Search by artist and song title and all that?

It would be cheap but I like all those funtions. Right now I have 17 different playlist for different genre that I can roam through.

Not to be condiscending but we are all sheep anyway, Harley Sheep. You are already drinking the Kool Aid.:D

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
When you guys are using the flash drives can you create playlists? Search by artist and song title and all that?

It would be cheap but I like all those funtions. Right now I have 17 different playlist for different genre that I can roam through.

Not to be condiscending but we are all sheep anyway, Harley Sheep. You are already drinking the Kool Aid.:D
Not sure about play lists.

The odd problem with the MS60 is that it only supports 128 top level folders, and 500 tunes/folder.

So I have to put all tunes from a given artist into a single folder.

Then I just shuffle play when I'm on the bike. Ive got the Biketronics Retro Radio kit, so my hand controls work to bump to the next tune or change volume, etc.

I have a couple sticks depending on genre.

Bit of advice: DO NOT remove the USB stick while the unit is on, it destroys the stick. Found out the hard way, and the manual actually warns you against doing this.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts