Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered aftermarket seat backs for my 17 RGS off eBay. Both did not fit even though the item descriptions said they would. That would be bad enough except I have a wife that told me just to get the Harley OEM ones. Be wary of eBay if you have a 17. No more eBay stuff for me.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
What do you mean by "Seat Backs", and what didn't fit about them?

Are you talking about quick release passenger backrests? If so, your connection points on the bike might not be oriented correctly. They are not round. When I got the new Road King, it came with the quick release docking hardware from the dealer. I couldn't get the OEM backrest to lock on and the dealer workers were clueless. I figured out that the docking points weren't round and once I adjusted them, smooth as a hot knife through butter.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I have not had issues with aftermarket backrest. or floorboards...etc. What is it that does not fit?

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
As an FYI, the new Backrests and Docking station hardware have become crap shoots - I had HD parts on my old '16 RG, all bought new through the dealer and once installed, they were a BITCH to get off - Was told HD is using "new Hardware" and to ride the bike until they loosen up - We had to almost bash the damn thing off only to find out that 4 points were installed backwards and it was 'Forced" on to begin with - Check and make sure your docking points are all on correctly and aligned.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
As an FYI, the new Backrests and Docking station hardware have become crap shoots - I had HD parts on my old '16 RG, all bought new through the dealer and once installed, they were a BITCH to get off - Was told HD is using "new Hardware" and to ride the bike until they loosen up - We had to almost bash the damn thing off only to find out that 4 points were installed backwards and it was 'Forced" on to begin with - Check and make sure your docking points are all on correctly and aligned.
That is because all those frigin idiots don't know that the mounting points are not round. Once I got mine sorted out, I went to the local dealer and pointed out to the owner all the mounting points that were installed incorrectly. Once you get them oriented correctly, the quick detach accessories work smoothly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info, I will definitly check the mounting points. The front went on fine but the rear was over an 1/8th inch on each side from the end of the mount.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Can almost bet up to $4.00 that if you flip them around, you'll be right as rain
Yep. That is the part I didn't mention. There is a different depth spacer on each end of the "not round" mount points. Make sure the thicker spacer is toward the bike, and don't tighten all the way until you put the backrest on and make sure it is oriented for smooth operation.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had a similar problem with a detachable passenger backrest purchased from Ebay and supposedly genuine Harley, (I'm not so sure.) My problem was with the front mount points that push on to the upper shock mounts. The bottom edge of the rack hit the top of the Premium Shock, making it very difficult to push on to the mounts all the way. So the rear mount points didn't line up properly. I don't know for sure if this is a problem with the Premium Shocks or with the mount I bought but I filed down the mount to get it to fit right.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the suggestions I tried them all but it still didn't fit. I got the actual Harley Davidson one and Click Click on in 5 seconds.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I took a chance on an aftermarket luggage rack on eBay and surprisingly the thing fit like a glove and is damn near 1/4 of the price!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar problem with a detachable passenger backrest purchased from Ebay and supposedly genuine Harley, (I'm not so sure.) My problem was with the front mount points that push on to the upper shock mounts. The bottom edge of the rack hit the top of the Premium Shock, making it very difficult to push on to the mounts all the way. So the rear mount points didn't line up properly. I don't know for sure if this is a problem with the Premium Shocks or with the mount I bought but I filed down the mount to get it to fit right.
Same on backrest and tour pack mounts for me. Just relieved the bottom of both.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
For me, Ebay has been hit and miss. I now use the HD online vendors and haven't looked back!
Ditto - I've been burned bad by eBay vendors. Lesson learned: always safe to buy from a reputable company offering items on eBay. And there there are a lot of "back yard shacks" peddling all kinds of ChiCom shite.
I was conned into buying some brand new slip-ons allegedly from SuperTrapp. When I received them I found those to be some inferior knock-offs. I even e-mailed a sales rep from SuperTrapp who supported my claim. The seria- numbers etc. was bogus! They were just cheap PROC copies - I returned them of course and asked for a refund. Never got one, because the vendor claimed the "items were lost in transit" hence no refund from eBay either... :frown:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts