Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caught a good size rock last night, I attached a pic of the damage. Looks like it goes all the way to the metal. I figure I should learn how to fix scratches like this on my own. So I am turning to RG brothers, where do I go to start leaning how to fix scratches, and what equipment do I need?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,775 Posts
Subscribed

Have a paint chip right on the front lip of the front fender, down to the steel.

Gotta have a paint expert in here that can help.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hopefully I can avoid the paint expert that says "You can buff that out,and it will be as good as new.".:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
I am going to guess its on the front fender. It looks like a heavy metalic color. I don't know if the MOCO sells touch up, if not maybe a local bodyshop or paint jobber.

1 professional repair

2 nothing

3 attemp touch up. Heavy metalic colors don't touch up well, thet tend to darken as apposed to being sprayed. Is it a 2 stage or 3 stage color? My guess is that you can touch up the base color thats close and then put clear on, keep in mind it my not be perfect but you will have paint/clear on the chip. The key to to touch up is to keep paint IN the chip, not on the surounding sheetmetal. Sometimes if the is a LITTLE buildup on the edges when don it can be wet sanded and buffed with very fine sandpaper 1500-2000. HD does not put a lot of clear on these bikes-be carefull.

Touch up will not match perfectly with a metalic color

My .02

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I am going to guess its on the front fender. It looks like a heavy metalic color. I don't know if the MOCO sells touch up, if not maybe a local bodyshop or paint jobber.

1 professional repair

2 nothing

3 attemp touch up. Heavy metalic colors don't touch up well, thet tend to darken as apposed to being sprayed. Is it a 2 stage or 3 stage color? My guess is that you can touch up the base color thats close and then put clear on, keep in mind it my not be perfect but you will have paint/clear on the chip. The key to to touch up is to keep paint IN the chip, not on the surounding sheetmetal. Sometimes if the is a LITTLE buildup on the edges when don it can be wet sanded and buffed with very fine sandpaper 1500-2000. HD does not put a lot of clear on these bikes-be carefull.

Touch up will not match perfectly with a metalic color

My .02
I had a good scratch down to the primer on my new truck and the touch up people that go around to all the dealers in Middle Tennessee worked magic on it. I can not even tell where it was and it is metallic finish. They did it in the parking lot. Wish I knew how it was done.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
If your finger nail can catch the scratch then its thru the clear, not going to buff that out.

A lot of the cars/trucks and bikes I detail the owners want the rock chips fixed. I absolutely can't stand the touch up paint the dealers or auto parts stores sell. This is what I use. For me, this works the best.

https://www.drcolorchip.com

I have the customer order it and they drop it off with their vehicle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts