Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone make modulated LED headlights for the Road Glide that are 50 state legal as defined by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) (49 CFR Part 571.108 S7.9.4).

Or are there any modulated LED accessory running lights that meet this requirement.

Typical add on modulators don’t work with LED nor HID lights.

Please let’s not turn this into a discussion about the merits or legalities of headlight modulators. This is meant to discuss the availability or the development of modulated LED headlights and/or modulated LED running lights.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I see Kriss offers part# HL8892 which they say is designed specifically for the led Road glide headlight, but calling them only gets a ringing from a modem or fax. Are they out of business?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So it looks like I answered my own question, but we’ll leave it here for others or for further input.

I spoke to Andy at Kisan. Yes they have a “plug and play” modulator for the stock 2015 LED headlights that modulates both lights. It’s part number P115W-H3-HD4 for $129. You have to add the option for the dual plug so that maybe $20 extra.

I’ll do a bit more research before ordering them.

Here’s the link for anyone interested.

https://kisantech.com/mag/pathblazer/p115w-h3-hd4.html

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I'm personally not a fan of modular headlights. I rather add additional lighting (e.g. fog lights, windshield trim lights, bezel lights etc). When I see a bike with them, I find them more annoying than helpful. It's a little like your flashing your high beams. Might confuse some dumb ass in a car and he pulls out in front of you.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Not to discourage...............

Read an article (think it was AMA mag.) that discussed the 50 state legalallity question. The one thing I pulled from it was that the use of them make you more conspicuous, the same as running 'high' beams. I think that the front end of bikes bounce around so much that you get the variations from riding. Several years ago I had installed a modulator on my bike, 2 years later the electronics died, never replaced it. Now modulators for the rear light, Yes! Too many get run over from behind!

·
Registered
480 Posts
My advice .. don't get it. I'm not a fan of the headlights, feel they do nothing good to protect you and in some cases creates a focal point to drive vehicles in your direction. They look ridiculous. JMHO

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I'm personally not a fan of modular headlights. I rather add additional lighting (e.g. fog lights, windshield trim lights, bezel lights etc). When I see a bike with them, I find them more annoying than helpful. It's a little like your flashing your high beams. Might confuse some dumb ass in a car and he pulls out in front of you.
But you notice them and that's the point. I personally would be afraid of a LED failure and of course Harley would say they caused it >:) and be on the hook for a grand or more (HD prices I suspect)

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
But you notice them and that's the point. I personally would be afraid of a LED failure and of course Harley would say they caused it >:) and be on the hook for a grand or more (HD prices I suspect)
Good point, I do notice them. I'm not sure if I notice them more than say fog lights though.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Geez even when I ask y’all to stay on subject y’all still can’t focus. Oh well, y’all have fun with it then. I’m out.

Please let’s not turn this into a discussion about the merits or legalities of headlight modulators.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts