Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Craigffb, I had this problem that you said, but I don't know how to reconfigure the BCM settings, can you send me this procedure? thanks.
Just a heads up, if any of you guys install this new light, and everything appears to be ok EXCEPT when you hit the brakes, and then it just barely flashes once for a millisecond.... its ok, easy "fix"... don't panic lol I have seen where some other guys thought they got a bad light, one even sent it back and new one did the same thing.

In the BCM there's a setting about "Dedicated Brake Light" that one setting MAY need to be changed so the light functions correctly. Depends on what yours is set to (enable/disable). I am guessing the LED controller in the light needs it set one specific way to properly handle the sequential lighting.

On the "OEM" lights (or the "old" ones) if "Dedicated Brake Light" is set one way (disable), when you hit the brakes the whole light bar lights up bright. When "Dedicated Brake Light" is set the other way (enable) and you hit the brakes, just the single row in the center of the light goes bright (the skinny area between the turn signals). I got my bike back from the shop one time and it was doing this... just had to go in and change that one setting back, so the whole light bar lit up when hitting the brakes. So I believe if I were to upgrade to the sequential light, I would have to change this one setting in mine to get it to function correctly.

Its a cool light, I'm just trying to give a heads up, that nothing is wrong if you run into this... just have that one setting changed if necessary.
Hi Ssitruc, can you send me the procedure to change BCM settings? I had this problem with my light, thx

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you have Diag4BIKE or some other software, or take it to a Dealer, and have them check the setting for "Dedicated Brake Light". For Diag4Bike I think its Toolbox/BCM Customization/Lighting Turn Signal - Stop Lamp... its been awhile since I was in there. Basically there's a setting that gives you a choice to either have a dedicated brake light section only that goes bright on applying the brakes, or to have the whole light bar including your blinker portion to also go bright on applying the brakes. On the previous HD brand light bars on the Rushmore tour pacs (like the stock ones) the dedicated brake light looks cheesy, it was better if the whole bare lit up bright (blinkers flashed too if you hit the brakes and a signal was on), but that setting on the new HD sequential one may confuse the LED controller in the light bar, or have to be set a certain way. Yours might need that setting changed to work with that light's LED controller... but there's no "procedure", you have to have the equipment/software to access it (diag4Bike, DigitalResearch Centurion, etc) or take it to a dealer and have them change it via Digital Tech.

I am just guessing you have the new style HD light bar with sequential lighting and when you hit the brakes there's just a millisecond that it kinda goes a little brighter... if your issue is something else, say what it is LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you have Diag4BIKE or some other software, or take it to a Dealer, and have them check the setting for "Dedicated Brake Light". For Diag4Bike I think its Toolbox/BCM Customization/Lighting Turn Signal - Stop Lamp... its been awhile since I was in there. Basically there's a setting that gives you a choice to either have a dedicated brake light section only that goes bright on applying the brakes, or to have the whole light bar including your blinker portion to also go bright on applying the brakes. On the previous HD brand light bars on the Rushmore tour pacs (like the stock ones) the dedicated brake light looks cheesy, it was better if the whole bare lit up bright (blinkers flashed too if you hit the brakes and a signal was on), but that setting on the new HD sequential one may confuse the LED controller in the light bar, or have to be set a certain way. Yours might need that setting changed to work with that light's LED controller... but there's no "procedure", you have to have the equipment/software to access it (diag4Bike, DigitalResearch Centurion, etc) or take it to a dealer and have them change it via Digital Tech.

I am just guessing you have the new style HD light bar with sequential lighting and when you hit the brakes there's just a millisecond that it kinda goes a little brighter... if your issue is something else, say what it is LOL
Yes, the brake light blinks a millisecond, my bike is an Ultra Limited 2020.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you don't have access to the diagnostic tool to make changes, a Dealer can change the setting, using their Digital Tech, in literally just a few minutes.

Just Curious, on the stock light that you took off the tour pac, when you would hit a brake lever did the whole bar light up bright, or just a single row across the middle (between the turn signals)?

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
New harness is complete. Just waiting on the light and passenger switches. While I was at it I ran all the wires for the passenger switches. Wife will be happy she can control her own volumes now.
Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle

On a side note if anyone was ever curious why knock off tour paks break here is probably why. As you can see from the picture the mounting hole are kinda stretch out. If you don’t have a passenger it’s probably not a big deal or won’t happen but if you do, might wanna think about it.
Eye Iris Grey Art Gas

·
Registered
32 Posts
What brand is that, looks like a HD King? Did you have the bottom metal pan in there (if it is a King)? Without a CB antenna you don't really need it. I'm just wondering out loud, but they do shimmy pretty good just idling... Nothing a flat washer won't fix though :p

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
What brand is that, looks like a HD King? Did you have the bottom metal pan in there (if it is a King)? Without a CB antenna you don't really need it. I'm just wondering out loud, but they do shimmy pretty good just idling... Nothing a flat washer won't fix though :p
Yes HD king. And yes you do need the plate without CB. The mounting bolts are seated in the plate. No head, they are part of the plate.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Forgot about the bolts being part of the pan... I got a factory King, all dressed out (RGU), and a Chopped on a 1-up. The Chopped doesn't use the pan, just bolts and washers.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Forgot about the bolts being part of the pan... I got a factory King, all dressed out (RGU), and a Chopped on a 1-up. The Chopped doesn't use the pan, just bolts and washers.
The pan keeps everything off the wire harness as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you don't have access to the diagnostic tool to make changes, a Dealer can change the setting, using their Digital Tech, in literally just a few minutes.

Just Curious, on the stock light that you took off the tour pac, when you would hit a brake lever did the whole bar light up bright, or just a single row across the middle (between the turn signals)?
Hi Craigffb,

I went to the dealership for change the configuration, change made ok, problem solved, free of charge, however my bike has an original turn signal lights, and from that configuration changes they also started to light up when I press the brakes.

I'm thinking of taking the original turn signals off.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Hi Craigffb,

I went to the dealership for change the configuration, change made ok, problem solved, free of charge, however my bike has an original turn signal lights, and from that configuration changes they also started to light up when I press the brakes.

I’d take it back. Something is still wrong. All the turns are getting the signal frog the same spot so no matter what you put on your going to end up with the same problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think its ok... when you hit your brakes the rear lights all go bright... thats a good thing. Then, if you also have one of your blinkers on, that side flashes still, right? IMO, thats how I would want it.

The setting is for "dedicated" brake light. With that enabled your rear turn signals basically stay in running light mode unless your have one of your blinkers on and only the brake light on the fender lights up bright (before you put the light bar on the tourpack). With "dedicated" brake light not enabled, your rear turn signals also go bright when you hit the brakes, but they will still flash in the appropriate area if a blinker is on too. Now you put the new style light bar on, with "sequential lighting", and it appears it has to be in the non-dedicated mode for that light to function correctly... but your other lights are also working too, just differently, right?

It was much more noticeable on the old style light bar, because that light bar the "dedicated Brake Light" area was just a single row of LEDs in the middle of the light bar (and of course the brake light on the fender), and was not as noticeable when you hit your brakes and it was set to dedicated brake light. It is much more noticeable that you were braking if the whole light bar went bright... and if a blinker was on, that side still flashed.

Does it bug you because the tour pack's blinkers are doing its "sequential" thing and the original ones below are just blinking? Just asking to understand what it is you don't like about it so much you are thinking about pulling the originals. (I don't have the sequential light bar, so I don't know what that looks like all lit up together).

·
Registered
505 Posts
Ummm, I (really really) think the fix here is to call Custom Dynamics and inquire about the Smart Triple Play.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Ummm, I (really really) think the fix here is to call Custom Dynamics and inquire about the Smart Triple Play.
He shouldn’t need that with a CANBUS bike.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I agree - but they do sell them for CANBUS bikes and it does help when adding functionality to any light setup.

Cool though... I will take a seat and see how all this gets sorted.

He shouldn’t need that with a CANBUS bike.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I agree - but they do sell them for CANBUS bikes and it does help when adding functionality to any light setup.

Cool though... I will take a seat and see how all this gets sorted.
Yeah, I’m kinda confused about where the lights are on the bike that are causing the issues for him.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't "think" anything is wrong, I think it is just different from what it was before. Probably because of the setting that had to be changed to get the new style light bar's LED controller to function right with the "sequential turn signals".

Meaning if the BCM is set for "Dedicated Brake Light", when the bike is running the rear blinker are running lights, then if you turned on a blinker signals that one side would flash brighter, and if you hit one of your brake levers nothing changes with the rear blinkers, and only the brake light lit up bright. The rear blinkers/signal lights are Run/Turn in that configuration.

Now if the BCM is NOT set for "Dedicated Brake Light" when the bike is running the rear blinker are running lights, then if you turned on a signal blinker that one side would flash brighter, and if you hit one of your brake levers the blinkers and the brake light all go bright, and the blinker light still flash bright on the side that the signal blinker is on. The rear blinkers/signal lights are Run/Brake/Turn in that configuration.

It is the only setting in the BCM, that I can think of, for the rear lighting. Now, on the "factory" tour pack's light bar (with non-sequential turn signals) that setting could be set either way and the light bar functioned accordingly. But with it set to "Dedicated Brake Light", when you hit your brakes, only the single row of lights in the very center of the light bar went bright for brakes (not the outer parts of the light bar). IMO, its not a noticeable enough of a brake light and it is real cheesy looking set that way. But change the setting to NOT "Dedicated Brake Light" and the whole light bar lights up when you hit the brakes (and the signal side still flashed if you have a turn signal on).

Remember, the same BCM is used in quite a variety of bikes, Glides to Ultras, with several different rear lighting configurations when it comes to rear blinkers... then there's the add ons lights. So thats the reason for the setting in the BCM, to accomplish the different lighting configurations.

Now Elizeufilho says he has a 2020 Ultra Limited and he's "thinking of taking the original turn signals off"... the "original" rear turn signals on a Ultra Limited were just the signals on the tour pack's light bar... they didn't have any other rear turn signals, from the factory. So I would be interested in hearing from him what the "original turn signals" are that he's contemplating taking off. I am guessing someone "added" bag or slot lights to the rear. Also, I'd be interested in what the behavior of those lights are that he doesn't like, and why.

As far as the LED controller in Harley's lights, they have cause me a small issue before. On my 16 RGU, I added HD's Electra Glo Keystone rear turn signals, the ones that go in the slot on Ultras between the saddle bags and the fender. I did this for looks, more rear lighting, and to have rear turn signals when the tour pack is off the bike. Their "onboard" LED controller in the lights has a "quirk" to it. When you turn the bike off, the slot lights do not flash, with all the other blinkers (tour pack's light bar does), when the bike's security module "arms". So when the tour pack is off the bike and the bike's security "arms" it kicks a code, thinking the rear signals lights bulbs are bad. Hook the tour pack back up and all is well and the codes go away. Also with the tour pack off, the blinker signal's indicator "hyper flashed". Myself and a HD tech tried to "fix" these two things for the longest time. The HD tech was sure it was "fixable", then found out is was not, and it was not a "one off". It was actually a guy from Custom Dynamics that figured it out. The HD Electra Glo Keystone slot light's LED controller used the different run/brake/turn wires to "detect" what the light should be doing, but didn't actually use them to do it. For the blinkers for instance, the controller would "sense" when to flash the blinker lights from the current on that wire, but the controller actually used to "park" wires power to make it flash... but when you turn the ignition off, there is no "power" going to the park wire anymore... hence the slot lights not doing the confirmation flashing when the bike's security armed... and the BCM thinking the bulbs where bad, and kicks a code. But put the tour pack back on and it all cleared back up, on its own, and the tour pack's lights flashed on arming... Now the funny part... changed to CD's Fillerz in the slots and they flash to confirm the bikes's security has armed... it's "controller" does it differently than HD... no more codes either, tour pack on or off.

So I don't think there is anything "wrong", I think the new HD light bar requires that one setting to be set a specific way, and it is different than Elizeufilho's was set before, so his other rear blinkers are behaving "differently" because of it. Will be interesting to hear what that is, what he doesn't like about it and why, and also what type of "original" blinkers he's talking about taking off.... and sorry for the long ass post! Just trying to be thorough. Although I don't have it, I think the new light bars look great, and function as they are designed to...

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Hi Craigffb,

@ssitruc
The guy with the issues is stating that his turn signals are lighting up when he hits the brakes. It 100% shouldn’t be doing that. All the lights on the bike should function as they did prior to the light on the tour pack being changed out. I’m guessing he is on a factory tour pak bike, so that mean he only has turns on the front because he said he was thinking about taking them off.
I’m on my phone so I didn’t read that whole long post just yet, but I will.
But bottom line is the dealer might have fixed the rear issue for him, but it caused another.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree, should not have any effect on the FRONT turn signals, and if it did that would be strange! I missed that if that was what he was meaning... I was just thinking he or someone else had "added" slot or bag turn lights to the rear of his Ultra Limited, and those are what he was referring to (maybe (??) doesn't like it because the new light bar is doing its sequential thing, and right below it, his bag lights are just flashing???, admittedly its a guess)... IF he's talking about his front turn signals go bright when he hits the brakes, absolutely need to go back to the dealer!

Only settings I can think of in the BCM for the REAR lighting is the "Dedicated Brake Light" (changing it can change the rear blinkers behavior) and then there's the LED/Incandescent setting, which I have never had to change when switching/adding lights to the bike. Now I am more curious as to what lights exactly he's having the issue with, and what's about them are acting differently...

With it starting to snow a little bit here, it almost makes me want to go play in the garage with Diag4Bike and those settings (to get pics of the effects)... almost.

I know you know your stuff, so I am not questioning you, I just think Elizeufilho needs to give a bit more information to clear it up.... hopefully he does lol

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I know you know your stuff, so I am not questioning you, I just think Elizeufilho needs to give a bit more information to clear it up.... hopefully he does lol
EXACTLY. I like to help this cat out, but it’s hard when I don’t have all the info and he only drops in here with a post and then you don’t here nothing for a couple weeks.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts