Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are y'all (that have leds) doing for a switch? I would like to wire a switch between the battery and the controller so that if I don't ride for a week, the controller isn't constantly searching for a signal. I've managed to track down a constant hot wire for parts and accessories on the bike. I really wanted to use one of the factory aux dash switches, but they only supply power when the ignition is on (run or accessory). I'm thinking the factory switch may not be possible at this point. Do you add a switch, if so, where are y'all putting them?

Thanks!

By the way, I'm rolling on a road glide ultra.

·
Registered
69 Posts
What are y'all (that have leds) doing for a switch? I would like to wire a switch between the battery and the controller so that if I don't ride for a week, the controller isn't constantly searching for a signal. I've managed to track down a constant hot wire for parts and accessories on the bike. I really wanted to use one of the factory aux dash switches, but they only supply power when the ignition is on (run or accessory). I'm thinking the factory switch may not be possible at this point. Do you add a switch, if so, where are y'all putting them?

Thanks!

By the way, I'm rolling on a road glide ultra.
My controller (XK Glow) has a switch built into the harness. You definitely want it switched! I also looked at the Aux dash switches but opted against it for the same reasons - of course they could be modified, but that defeats the purpose now doesn't it?

I haven't installed my kit yet - and I'm still trying to figure out where to affix the switch. It's a nice push-button job - ahhh if we get any rain this long weekend, it may be my next project. I have 14 9-inch strips and 12 pods. I figure I'll use about 1/3 or less of them, but I have options! Good luck and post pics when you're done.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I've finished for now. Will add more soon, but I've done most of the ground work at least. It's pretty good looking (I think) since I added strips to the three vents and the speakers. Nice effect at night, but the multi-color strips just aren't as bright as the single. I really wish that wasn't the case, but I don't know what else to do....it seems that's just the way it is.

It's pretty neat. The vents glow, and every time I hit the brake, the entire bike glows red. When I let off the brake, it goes back to whatever color I had running.

For those that don't know, the single color strips (assuming you get the 5050 LED's) have three diodes per LED module. The multi-color have three diodes but it is split between one red, one green, and one blue. Basically, that means the single color strips are three times as bright as the multi which is where my un-happiness comes from. I like having the ability to change colors, but blue is my favorite and I wish it was brighter.

I've attached pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Personally, I like it.
I'm not so concerned about how bright it is - at night, if you've got it illuminated you don't want it so bright that it affects your vision. When it's dark, you'll be seen just fine!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Personally, I like it.
I'm not so concerned about how bright it is - at night, if you've got it illuminated you don't want it so bright that it affects your vision. When it's dark, you'll be seen just fine!
Thanks!

One thing that I hadn't anticipated was riding with solid blue on (which is legal here in Tennessee), but having the brake override on. When you are feathering the brake in slow traffic, it appears that your bike has alternating red and blue lights.

I passed a wreck on the way home last night (after dark) and the police officers all stopped and looked as I went by. My first thought was that they were checking out the lights, but second was that I could have been stopped. lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts