Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had the strip LEDs installed at Sturgis this year. Does all kinds of colors/flashing/etc, and is tied into my brake lights. When I hit the brakes, they all light up red, pretty neat I think. I dont ride much at night and what I just noticed is that when I hit my Left blinker, they all flash red. It doesnt do it with the right blinker, only the left. And my brake lights do not light up with the left blinker. The installer tapped into the wiring harness under the seat, I believe it's a blue wire with a pink stripe. The tap is right behind the connector (poor choice IMO) and it's the same one that my CD Bag Lights extension plugs into. What I dont understand is how HD wired this thing that the brake lights get voltage there, but also the blinker??? Has anyone seen this before? I can get a picture later today if that would help make more sense. Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
When I hit the brakes, they all light up red, pretty neat I think. I dont ride much at night and what I just noticed is that when I hit my Left blinker, they all flash red. It doesnt do it with the right blinker, only the left. And my brake lights do not light up with the left blinker.
So are you saying the left blinker is flashing the running lights and the right side lights too? Little confused on what exactly is happening. What all did you purchase and get installed?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So are you saying the left blinker is flashing the running lights and the right side lights too? Little confused on what exactly is happening. What all did you purchase and get installed?
So it's basically an LED controller that goes to a bunch of LED strips. The wire that taps into the brake wire is supposed to activate all the LEDs when the brakes are activated. Which it does. What also happens is when I turn on the left blinker, all the LEDs activate and flash with the blinker. Only on the left blinker, not the right. And the bike brake lights (fender/tour pack/bag strips) do not flash with the left blinker, which they should not do. Does that make more better sense?? :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just curious, how's did they tap the wires?
it some sort of tube wire tap, like those ones you close with a pliers, but this one looks like a small tube that maybe screws on?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I tried to attach a picture and it crashed my browser twice, and it won't let me attach a video either lol

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
it some sort of tube wire tap, like those ones you close with a pliers, but this one looks like a small tube that maybe screws on?
Is it a tap like the one pictured? This would be a preferred style. I'm just checking because some people will use some real hack taps to save a few bucks but it can wreak havoc on your wallet later on.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it a tap like the one pictured? This would be a preferred style. I'm just checking because some people will use some real hack taps to save a few bucks but it can wreak havoc on your wallet later on.
Yes, that's it

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IMG_6588.jpg

Here’s the pic, it doesn’t seem to like the .mov file

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
So the lighting on the rear is as follows. Blue/Violet wire is the left turn signal, Blue/Red is brake light and Blue/Brown is the right signal. What's the brand of module and how many wires are actually hooked up?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Which wire is that hooked to, looks like Blue/Violet?
It's the Blue/Violet wire. I didn't see a brand on the unit itself, but it's sticky taped down so maybe it's on the bottom. Thats the only wire hooked up to a harness, it's blue. There is also a black and red but they go to the battery. The others are the LED strip plugs

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
What are the other wire colors on that factory harness. Just to be sure I called them out correctly on my previous post. i was using a 2018 manual because that happens to be what is in front of me right now.

·
Administrator
12,520 Posts
Sounds like he tapped into the wrong wire. I have the same LEDs. I’ll have to check what color I tapped in to, but I definitely haven’t had that problem.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Also disconnect the Blue module wire and make sure everything works correct before moving forward. What you will want to do is loosen the end of the tap first that is the same color as the center of the tap. After the wire is removed, hold the gray end and rotate the center body counter clockwise to remove the tap from that wire. Once it's disassembled you will see exactly how it works.
Hook the tap back up to the Blue/Red wire of the factory harness. It shouldn't have changed from 2018 to 2020.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Another thing is slice open the plastic sheath over your harness and tap in further back from the connector. Like you thought....there shouldn't be a tap that close to a connector.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What are the other wire colors on that factory harness. Just to be sure I called them out correctly on my previous post. i was using a 2018 manual because that happens to be what is in front of me right now.
Blue/Red Blue/Purple Grey Red/Yellow Blue/Grey Blue

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
OK. Like I said, remove the tap, check operation to make sure everything operates like it should all the way around and if all is good then put the tap on the Blue/Red wire and recheck. You should be good to go.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK. Like I said, remove the tap, check operation to make sure everything operates like it should all the way around and if all is good then put the tap on the Blue/Red wire and recheck. You should be good to go.
I'll see if I get a chance to check it out today, I can check the voltage on that wire. Thanks!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts