Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok folks, gotta gremlin! when i try to use left turn signal, the security light comes on? bike runs great. security light goes out at start up and stays out till i try to use left turn signal. i changed bulbs, no help. ???????:eek:

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Have you checked/changed both your front and back bulbs? Are you running standard bulbs, or LEDs?

Mine did this when I installed LEDs in the front, along with a fast blink after a couple of seconds. Once I put load equalizers on, it worked fine. Its wired in, that if you have a bulb burned out the security light will come on when you hit that turn signal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help CHAINSAW
I replaced the front light with sylvania 1157 and rear with sylvania 1156 from local auto parts store. I take it these are standard replacement bulbs? Or, do i need to get HD replacements?

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Thanks for your help CHAINSAW
I replaced the front light with sylvania 1157 and rear with sylvania 1156 from local auto parts store. I take it these are standard replacement bulbs? Or, do i need to get HD replacements?
You don't need to get the HD replacement, the sylvania is fine.

So your turn signals are working now, correct? You turn them on, walk in front and back and make sure they are both working? It could be you just got a bad bulb or there is corrosion on the socket. Its rare, but it happens sometimes that you buy a brand new bulb and its no good out of the package. It could also be, that you installed them wrong,.. again rare and hard to do because of the prongs, but it can be done and they won't work.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Usually you can rattle the bulb next to your ear (if you can hear,.. I can't anymore) and hear if the element is broken. Holding it upside down and looking you will be able to see if something is broken inside.

What is interesting to me,.. neither of them work. What year is your bike?
Also, do the running lights work?

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have the same problem i took my glide to HD and its the signal canceling unit
i dont have the exact name of the part but i can almost guarantee thats what it is

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Usually you can rattle the bulb next to your ear (if you can hear,.. I can't anymore) and hear if the element is broken. Holding it upside down and looking you will be able to see if something is broken inside.

2006 and yes the running lights work

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

2006 and yes the running lights work

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
i have the same problem i took my glide to HD and its the signal canceling unit
i dont have the exact name of the part but i can almost guarantee thats what it is
I think this guy is on track on what the problem is. Doesn't sound like the bulbs since you have running lights. I wish I could be more help, but wiring never has been my thing.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Are your fuses okay? Have you tried running the diagnostics? It should give you a trouble code. Check your manual to find out how.

I had the same problem and found a pinched wire in my front left turn signal mount. Blew 5 fuses before I figured it out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fixed turn signal!!!

Ok folks, With all your help, I found a bare wire that was pinched between the fairing assembly!!! repaired wired and seems to be working fine. got off lucky on this one. fairing removal and re install is a whole othe issue!!
Appriciate you all !!
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

·
Registered
639 Posts
ok heres one. Turn ignition on left is blinking front and rear and switch will not cancel.I have to use the right to change signal then cancel. Left button does nothing.Turn off ignition and back on left blinker is blinking again but will not cancel.The wife said it didnt cancel today when she was following me as it should. I hope its the turn signal module. what doya think

·
Registered
363 Posts
1. Check your fuses

2. Check all the wiring for the left turn signals (front and rear). Any pinched wire will short out the system especially at the fairing and under the rear fender. Have you done any mods on your electrical system or removed the outer fairing? Look for bare wires or crimped outer coverings. I had a pinched wire at the fairing bracket that I only found after I pulled everything apart.

3. You may have a bad turn signal module. Run a diagnostic check. There's a sticky on it in the troubleshooting section.

4. Good luck.

ENG25TRK

1 - 15 of 15 Posts