Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Cute sales gal at the local HD store is calling ME wanting to sell a leftover '19 RG, Twisted Cherry without ABS. I have a '15 RG, Mysterious Red with ABS and 38K miles that I am pretty happy with. Told her they would have to come up with a "really want to move a leftover '19" price before I would be interested. She is gonna work up a number and call me tomorrow. I'm thinking about 6K out the door for the difference would be a pretty decent deal. Any thoughts from the crowd? Am I totally out of line? This only came up when I went in to buy a quart of Amsoil trans fluid and she tried to get me on a '20. Told her was not interested in a new bike but if they had a leftover '19 in Twisted Cherry without ABS(I knew they didn't) I might be interested if it was a "leftover" deal. She found one at another dealer after I left so here we are. MSRP on the '19 is right at 22K. Would it be unrealistic to get it for 20K being a year old model? If I can trade for 6K difference I will probably do it. They will sell my scoot for 16K($2K profit) They will probably still make a grand selling the new one for $20k so they would still make $3k. What do y'all think? I'm prepared to laugh in their face because I don't think they REALLY want to sell it. This gal really digs my Sam Elliot voice but she is married so I have no angle there.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Good luck, hope it works out for you. If they're hurting they will sell if not they wont. What your asking isn't way off. Never except the first offer.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Don't know about the RG but I had a dealer knock $4k off MSRP on a 19 Road King Special last week of August. Didn't want to give me enough for my trade in though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was a laugher!!

Well I guess they ain't hurting as much as I been hearing. Their best out the door deal on a leftover '19 was $12900 and my bike in trade. That's giving me $13k for mine and knocking $1k off MSRP on the '19. They wouldn't even move off the $1850 setup and freight. I have been home an hour now and am still laughing about it. I was actually ok with the $13k trade in but only $1k off msrp and the freight and setup was a definite deal killer for me. Guess I will see now how much my phone rings next week. I knew my $6k offer for the difference was on the low side but was not expecting them to start at $14k for their first offer. It has the upgraded touch screen radio in it so the original msrp was $23789. I told them the radio was of no value to me. That was the only reason they knocked off $1k from the msrp. They may be dealing somewhere on the leftover '19s but it sure ain't here.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
FYI, there's a fixed amount of time paid by HD to the dealer to "set up" a bike. It's been discussed a lot. Any "set up fee" is pure bullshit and nothing more than markup. Freight is a legit charge.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,284 Posts
Your advantages in driving a better deal should be:

1) Nationally, it's been a very difficult year for new bike sales so they should be hungry to deal

2) The bike they're selling isn't even theirs yet so they have no money tied up into floor planning the bike.

3) Maybe you're biggest advantage is that you actually prefer a bike with no ABS, 99% don't want a bike unless it has ABS

Good luck with your negotiations

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
FYI, there's a fixed amount of time paid by HD to the dealer to "set up" a bike. It's been discussed a lot. Any "set up fee" is pure bullshit and nothing more than markup. Freight is a legit charge.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Yes this ^^^^^^

The "set-up" used to be on the website stating it was included. I just looked around for it and could not find it but my guess is it is still posted on there somewhere if you poke around OP.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
If they're only knocking 1k off msrp walk. My dealer is taking 3500 off and now that the 20s are on the floor he told me he could probably do 4500 off. I spend a lot there. But I know they going to a least 3k off if you haggle enough.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Yes this ^^^^^^

The "set-up" used to be on the website stating it was included. I just looked around for it and could not find it but my guess is it is still posted on there somewhere if you poke around OP.
Line 6 I believe

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Good info, thanks. I used the exact words "I know you don't have more than $19k in this bike so sell it to me for $20k and you still make a grand".

Wait for them to get back to you, they will, and give them a realistic out the door number you are willing to take. They either do the deal or they don't. You have a bike you like both ways so it's really not a big deal.

Out The Door price is the only way to go about this. They can put what ever they want on the sales receipt as long as the final number is something you agree to.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Theres a 2019 Red and Silver RGU on the floor. Told me he could realistically get 4500 off for my friend on it. Again. That's a my price deal. But that will give you an idea of the room they have to move and not lose money.

·
Registered
318 Posts
A couple things to keep in mind.......
It's a year old bike. Consider how NADA depreciates a year old bike. Although you don't seem to want ABS, I'd bet a lot more people will want it when it comes time to sell it. And the new (optional) cornering ABS/Traction control is vastly better. If it works like every other bike I've had with these features, you can have the bike at full lean exiting a corner, and open the gas all the way without worrying about spinning the rear tire too much.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Your advantages in driving a better deal should be:

1) Nationally, it's been a very difficult year for new bike sales so they should be hungry to deal

2) The bike they're selling isn't even theirs yet so they have no money tied up into floor planning the bike.

3) Maybe you're biggest advantage is that you actually prefer a bike with no ABS, 99% don't want a bike unless it has ABS

Good luck with your negotiations
Perhaps a dumb question on my part. Can ABS be installed? If yes, does anyone know for how much?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Although you don't seem to want ABS, I'd bet a lot more people will want it when it comes time to sell it.
Maybe it's just me, but I buy stuff the way I want it, not what I think I might be able to sell someone else later.
Perhaps a dumb question on my part. Can ABS be installed? If yes, does anyone know for how much?
You can do anything for the right amount of money...I can't see it being cost effective though.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I buy stuff the way I want it, not what I think I might be able to sell someone else later.
You can do anything for the right amount of money...I can't see it being cost effective though.
I buy things the way I want them too. But when it comes to vehicles I've found that if not a lot of people want to buy my used one, I might not have made a good purchase decision.
The local BMW dealer here ordered a stripped out GS for a customer who bailed on the deal. The dealer has been trying to get rid of it (at a great price) for a year. It turns out that GS buyers want all of the major options, regardless of how much they can save going stripped.

Not to knock your choice, but personally I can't imagine buying a $25,000 900lb touring bike without ABS. I don't think HD should even make deleting it an option. It rains and snows here and it can be a life saver.
But to each their own.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I buy things the way I want them too. But when it comes to vehicles I've found that if not a lot of people want to buy my used one, I might not have made a good purchase decision.

The local BMW dealer here ordered a stripped out GS for a customer who bailed on the deal. The dealer has been trying to get rid of it (at a great price) for a year. It turns out that GS buyers want all of the major options, regardless of how much they can save going stripped.

Not to knock your choice, but personally I can't imagine buying a $25,000 900lb touring bike without ABS. I don't think HD should even make deleting it an option. It rains and snows here and it can be a life saver.

But to each their own.

I’m not talking about wether or not the bike has ABS. I’m talking about worrying about what I’m gonna get for something on the back end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not ABS but "linked"

But to each their own.[/QUOTE]

My problem is not ABS. It is the fact they are linked. Been on this '15 for 5 years now and I still don't like them. That and have to have them flushed every 2 yrs either by the HD shop or buy a $400 tool to cycle the ABS module to do it at home. ABS is fine and a great addition but linked brakes only belong on a vehicle with ONE brake pedal. If there was a way to "de-link" them I would be all in but all the research I have done tells me it is not possible without great expense. In all my 150k miles of riding experience on 3 Harleys I have never wished I had ABS. My first 2 bikes were before HD started using anti-lock brakes. I know they are statistically much safer but for the more experienced rider those stats are just that, statistics. I think it is a marketing strategy to attract more novice riders who are more inclined to slam the back brake in a panic stop. Makes it easier to justify purchasing a 900 lb machine to someone who probably shouldn't be on a bike at all.
On the original topic, my local dealer did not call with a better deal. Another one (3 hrs away)did return a request for a quote. It beat the local offer by $2700 and the bike has same upgraded infotainment system(zero value to me). The difference being the local is not as interested in moving a leftover from their floor plan. I am trying to get them to swap out the radio with another standard RG they currently have on the floor. If they do it and knock off another $1k for the downgrade to a stock system I am buying it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts