Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously considering a set of the Legend Revo A but not sure whether to get the 12" or 13". I have a 2018 Road Glide Special with a Mustang seat that sits me up a little higher than stock. I'm 5'11" and around 195 lbs. I really don't want to sit up much higher than the stock shocks but looking at the Legend website, with the sag set, the difference is only 1/2" between the 12" and 13". Most of my riding is solo. I do a several trips a year carrying camping gear etc. I ride somewhat aggressively in the the corners. While I feel the 2018 handles better than my 2015, the rear suspension could be better. Any thoughts or recommendations from those that have them would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
501 Posts
Just bought some 13”revo a, I will try to put them on this week end and will report back the height difference for you.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have the 12” Revo-A’s and I’m running a one inch lowering block. I ride that bike 2up and have had no issues. I love them. I think you will be happy with either one,but you riding solo you should have no problems with the 12’s. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I run the 13" but tall enough I didn't notice a difference in footing. But if in doubt do the 13" and add the lowering block. Gain travel but keep it low if that is what you are looking for.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'm going to give you my opinion on this as I have ran both the 12 and 13 inch revo-a's on my personal bike. This is a little long winded so please bear with me.

I put a set of 12" on my wife's 2018 Street glide special hoping to give her bike a better ride and lower the bike a little as she is a little "vertically challenged". I installed and adjusted the sag per the instructions with my wife for her weight and all her riding gear. After I got the setup done I took a test drive to see how they rode. I absolutely loved them! So much in fact I decided to get a set for my 2018 RGS. I couldn't believe how well they rode not even being adjusted for my weight!

I decided to order the 13 inch models for my bike, I'm 6'4" and figured with the extra length of 13 inch shocks would give me an even better ride. I ordered my 13's and after I installed them and adjusted the sag for my weight I decided to do a back to back test ride with the wife's bike and mine.

After riding them both back to back, I was not happy with my decision to go with the 13 inch shocks :( The 13 inch shock is softer but it actually felt mushy or floaty to me. I felt like the bike handled sluggish to respond my inputs. Low speed turns felt like the balance was not nearly as good. It kinda felt like the rear end was too high and the front wanted to nose over in tight low speed maneuvers. I rode both bikes a few more times to really get a feel for it. Keep in mind I have ridden both of our bikes quite a bit so I am used to the difference in the handling of the different style fairings and both of them being 2018 Specials. So they have the same tires/wheels, etc. My last complaint was I just thought my bike looked tail high with the 13's.

I'm not saying that the 13's were terrible, just not as good as the 12's when ridden back to back IMO.

In conclusion after sending the 13 inch shocks back and having them rebuilt as 12's I'm completely satisfied. I really could not be more happy with them. I feel that my handling is better, it looks better, and rides great.

The suspension is soft enough that is soaks up the harsh bumps that I used to to brace for while eliminating all the little washboard bumps I used to feel. Small bumps or cracks in the road even tar snakes are all but forgotten. Best part is that I feel like the suspension tightens up and plants the tire in the curves while giving me a good ride. The responsiveness is back and the ride/comfort is better than ever!!!

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'm going to give you my opinion on this as I have ran both the 12 and 13 inch revo-a's on my personal bike. This is a little long winded so please bear with me.

I put a set of 12" on my wife's 2018 Street glide special hoping to give her bike a better ride and lower the bike a little as she is a little "vertically challenged". I installed and adjusted the sag per the instructions with my wife for her weight and all her riding gear. After I got the setup done I took a test drive to see how they rode. I absolutely loved them! So much in fact I decided to get a set for my 2018 RGS. I couldn't believe how well they rode not even being adjusted for my weight!

I decided to order the 13 inch models for my bike, I'm 6'4" and figured with the extra length of 13 inch shocks would give me an even better ride. I ordered my 13's and after I installed them and adjusted the sag for my weight I decided to do a back to back test ride with the wife's bike and mine.

After riding them both back to back, I was not happy with my decision to go with the 13 inch shocks :( The 13 inch shock is softer but it actually felt mushy or floaty to me. I felt like the bike handled sluggish to respond my inputs. Low speed turns felt like the balance was not nearly as good. It kinda felt like the rear end was too high and the front wanted to nose over in tight low speed maneuvers. I rode both bikes a few more times to really get a feel for it. Keep in mind I have ridden both of our bikes quite a bit so I am used to the difference in the handling of the different style fairings and both of them being 2018 Specials. So they have the same tires/wheels, etc. My last complaint was I just thought my bike looked tail high with the 13's.

I'm not saying that the 13's were terrible, just not as good as the 12's when ridden back to back IMO.

In conclusion after sending the 13 inch shocks back and having them rebuilt as 12's I'm completely satisfied. I really could not be more happy with them. I feel that my handling is better, it looks better, and rides great.

The suspension is soft enough that is soaks up the harsh bumps that I used to to brace for while eliminating all the little washboard bumps I used to feel. Small bumps or cracks in the road even tar snakes are all but forgotten. Best part is that I feel like the suspension tightens up and plants the tire in the curves while giving me a good ride. The responsiveness is back and the ride/comfort is better than ever!!!
Interesting Bobby. Very well written and nice you were able to ride back to back. I would say suspension is just like speakers. Very subjective to the one that is riding. Not discounting anything you said but I did not notice a difference in handling. I definitely was looking for a plush ride felt that it did exactly what I was looking for. So with all said now I would like to ride a set of 12" shocks. No matter what the options picks he won't be disappointed. But definitely wouldn't be scared to go with the 12" set if worried about footing.

·
Registered
215 Posts
For those of you running Lowering Blocks with your 12" REVO-A...which brand/manf. do you recommend?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Wow. Thanks for the detail. That really addressed all the areas I was concerned about. Based on that, I think I'll go with the 12". I'm assuming you still have stock front suspension? I'm not planning to change the front.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I'm 5'9 and about 250. I have the 12 Revo's and love them. I got them directly from Legend and they installed them. When I got them they really pushed for the 13 inch and told me they would only be about .5 inches higher than what I had but since I have stubbly legs I stuck with the 12's. Always wondered if I made a mistake but hearing this sounds like I may have gotten this one right. Also put the low Axeo tubes in the front this winter. Only about 100 miles so far because of the weather but seem to be a great improvement.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Interesting Bobby. Very well written and nice you were able to ride back to back. I would say suspension is just like speakers. Very subjective to the one that is riding. Not discounting anything you said but I did not notice a difference in handling. I definitely was looking for a plush ride felt that it did exactly what I was looking for. So with all said now I would like to ride a set of 12" shocks. No matter what the options picks he won't be disappointed. But definitely wouldn't be scared to go with the 12" set if worried about footing.

Like I said it's not that the 13"s were bad. In fact if the bike came with 13's that may be what would feel more "normal" to someone if they have ridden that for quite a while. However riding back to back and the fact that the Harley RGS and SGS come with 12 inch rear shocks the 13"s just didn't feel as good to me in the handling dept. The comfort of both the 12's and 13's were very similar but the handling of the 12's won me over.

Reactions: Livewire

·
Registered
487 Posts
Wow. Thanks for the detail. That really addressed all the areas I was concerned about. Based on that, I think I'll go with the 12". I'm assuming you still have stock front suspension? I'm not planning to change the front.
Yes Sir, stock front end.

Reactions: DAKPA

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies. I just ordered the 12" from a seller on Ebay. Delivery is estimated to be March 19th. Looking forward to an improved ride.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Just put the revo a’s on 13”, there right around the same height as stock when you sit on the bike.Can’t wait to try them on the road, the suspension actually moves now!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The shocks came today and I put them on. Took a 4 mile test ride and immediately noticed improvement. Looking forward to riding a good bit this weekend.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the 12” Revo-A’s and I’m running a one inch lowering block. I ride that bike 2up and have had no issues. I love them. I think you will be happy with either one,but you riding solo you should have no problems with the 12’s. Hope this helps.
Hi ,what brand 1" lowering block do you use. I tried 1" lowering block on my 2018 RGS ,but top of shock hits on chassis when I pull shock back to lowering block.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm seriously considering a set of the Legend Revo A but not sure whether to get the 12" or 13". I have a 2018 Road Glide Special with a Mustang seat that sits me up a little higher than stock. I'm 5'11" and around 195 lbs. I really don't want to sit up much higher than the stock shocks but looking at the Legend website, with the sag set, the difference is only 1/2" between the 12" and 13". Most of my riding is solo. I do a several trips a year carrying camping gear etc. I ride somewhat aggressively in the the corners. While I feel the 2018 handles better than my 2015, the rear suspension could be better. Any thoughts or recommendations from those that have them would be appreciated. Thanks
I am 5'9" and 185 pounds and installed 12" Revo A on my 2020 RGS. Very satisfied and sit about 1" lower than stock. You WILL NOT believe the ride difference versus OEM rear shocks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just installed the Legend Revo A 12 inch shocks on my 2020 Road Glide Special. Took an hour to switch them out, and went for a short ride. The difference is evident, but where this change will really show results is on long rides over the Quebec pothole support system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i did the 12 on my 19 glide and am the same build. it was the right call for me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts