Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the legends installed in the front forks this week. Wow what a difference. The bike feels like a crotch rocket now Compared to what it felt like with the stock suspension. If anybody is on the fence about the legends front end buy it’s great. I have the 13 inch 2017 newer coil over shocks on the rear. They seem to work well with the front end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to hear... These are on the list and will most likely be going with Ohlins on the rear...

I had Ohlin 2a on the rear last year. Just never could get them to ride to my liking. They seem to get good reviews. Just couldn’t get them set right I guess.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
I'm curious did you get them from Howard? It doesn't sound like it....

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Legends is great , i have the axeo 21 kit in front and the 13 revo-a coil ,very happy >:)

I am going to ride it a bit white the HD coil overs on the rear for some miles. If they don’t work out it will probably be Revo A next.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had the legends installed in the front forks this week. Wow what a difference. The bike feels like a crotch rocket now Compared to what it felt like with the stock suspension. If anybody is on the fence about the legends front end buy it’s great. I have the 13 inch 2017 newer coil over shocks on the rear. They seem to work well with the front end.

I've been contemplating these.... when you say sport bike feel, you mean stiff or you referring to the lean support or both? I'm reaching 37,000 so I'm pretty close to rebuilding the front forks and this is good information your sharing...

I have progressive, which I had the dealer install when I purchased and the HD nitrogen adjustable rears. Trying to learn more about the Ohlin and Legends to make a decision.... Either one sounds good and price points seem the pretty close.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been contemplating these.... when you say sport bike feel, you mean stiff or you referring to the lean support or both? I'm reaching 37,000 so I'm pretty close to rebuilding the front forks and this is good information your sharing...

I have progressive, which I had the dealer install when I purchased and the HD nitrogen adjustable rears. Trying to learn more about the Ohlin and Legends to make a decision.... Either one sounds good and price points seem the pretty close.

I mean stiff feeling. After riding 500 miles on them I am not sure the ride has improved at all. Less nose dive and handles better in curves but sometimes it about knocks my teeth out on a bump. Wonder if they set the preload wrong. I was hoping for a smoother ride but I got better handling with a rougher ride.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have the axeos in front and Super Shox in back. The SS are awesome the ledgends are good but not exceptional. They reduced dive, soak up big bumps exceptionally well, feel very planted, but will jar you on small sharp bumps. The instructions said for my load to set the pre-load at 1. Taking advice from others on the forum, I set my pre-load one softer (at 0) and I am happy I did. Overall I am happy with them, but I also got them for $535 brand new shipped to me, that makes them a little better.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have the axeos in front and Super Shox in back. The SS are awesome the ledgends are good but not exceptional. They reduced dive, soak up big bumps exceptionally well, feel very planted, but will jar you on small sharp bumps. The instructions said for my load to set the pre-load at 1. Taking advice from others on the forum, I set my pre-load one softer (at 0) and I am happy I did. Overall I am happy with them, but I also got them for $535 brand new shipped to me, that makes them a little better.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the dealer set mine at 3 on the preload. Way to stiff. Per instructions it should have been set at 1 according to my weight. So should I have them set it at 0 ? I weigh 280. Dealer is going to adjust them for free.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Wonder if they set the preload wrong. I was hoping for a smoother ride but I got better handling with a rougher ride.
that could be part of your problem right there. you are supposed to set your own preload. part of installation is making sure that both shocks are adjusted with the same spring length and you measure how much sag you get with your body weight on it. it is not just a slap them on and go type affair.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that could be part of your problem right there. you are supposed to set your own preload. part of installation is making sure that both shocks are adjusted with the same spring length and you measure how much sag you get with your body weight on it. it is not just a slap them on and go type affair.

After some investigation with the dealer they set the preload at 3 turns which is 2 turns to much for my weight. Talk to Legends and they recommend 1 turn. The dealer set it at 3 turns. Dealer is going to tear them down and correct it for free. Not sure why for free but it could be because of the motor they built that had 1500 miles in it and went boom. Then when they were bringing bike back they dropped another bike on my tank and trashed it. Great dealer for sure. Best I have found. Picture of the tank. Ouch.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

How much do you weigh ?

·
Registered
435 Posts
I am guilty of providing incorrect information. Went through my service logs. It was recommended for my weight to go 2 turns, I only went one turn off of the advice of forum members. Sorry for the incorrect info. I am 270lbs and put one turn of preload in.

·
Registered
174 Posts
call me

I had Ohlin 2a on the rear last year. Just never could get them to ride to my liking. They seem to get good reviews. Just couldn’t get them set right I guess.

Please call me and we will do it all together. Have tools & bike ready. I have to work all Memorial weekend. It would be my pleasure to help you get the smooth ride everyone gets with these shocks. I am with you. Best if you pre-call me to make sure you will have everything you need.

954-848-1525 ESDT

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have the axeos in front and Super Shox in back. The SS are awesome the legends are good but not exceptional. They reduced dive, soak up big bumps exceptionally well, feel very planted, but will jar you on small sharp bumps. The instructions said for my load to set the pre-load at 1. Taking advice from others on the forum, I set my pre-load one softer (at 0) and I am happy I did. Overall I am happy with them, but I also got them for $535 brand new shipped to me, that makes them a little better.
I have this same set-up. If I had it to do all over again, I'd do the Progressive Front and stay with the SuperShox in the rear. I've run both (Progressive front and rear on a 2002 FLTR and Legends front and SuperShox rear on a 2012 FLTRX). The Legends is way too harsh (front) for me compared to the Progressive with Monotubes. Legends get a lot of hype -- I think that's due to the fact that no-one wants to admit they F'D up on a significant purchase these days. Yes, they're (Legends) better than STOCK, but they're not the solution I was hoping for...there are much better options available IMHO.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have this same set-up. If I had it to do all over again, I'd do the Progressive Front and stay with the SuperShox in the rear. I've run both (Progressive front and rear on a 2002 FLTR and Legends front and SuperShox rear on a 2012 FLTRX). The Legends is way too harsh (front) for me compared to the Progressive with Monotubes. Legends get a lot of hype -- I think that's due to the fact that no-one wants to admit they F'D up on a significant purchase these days. Yes, they're (Legends) better than STOCK, but they're not the solution I was hoping for...there are much better options available IMHO.

They are harsh for sure ! I am hoping dialing back the preload will help.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts