Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought my first Harley (2017RGS) and pick it up next weekend. I’ve read all about how horrible the suspension is and I’m planning on replacing that first. I’ve read good things about Ohlins and I’ve read good things about Legends. I’m stuck on which one I should get...thoughts?? Thanks

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
Ohlins!
Get a hold of FastHarley (Howard) or Smarty (Carol) for a great price on Ohlins.
Howard is a great guy and wealth of knowledge when it comes to suspensions, He will give you a great price and information. Index
Smarty is a great guy too who will give you a great price also, as well as great information.
Best of Luck on Your decision.
Mike U.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Has anyone done a direct comparison between the two brands?

I’m going to be shopping for shocks soon myself and Ohlins and legend are at the top of my list.

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
Find out which ones need rebuilt on a regular basis. I have 30k miles on my Ohlins and they're due for a rebuild to the tune of just over $300 :(

·
Registered
31 Posts
From what I’ve read it’ll be Ohlins from Smarty when I get done with all my other money gobbling upgrades.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Find out which ones need rebuilt on a regular basis. I have 30k miles on my Ohlins and they're due for a rebuild to the tune of just over $300 :(

I find it amazing how many people never rebuild/replace shocks on bikes/cars because they have no clue how unsafe worn suspension is on a vehicle.

Suspension transforms every motorcycle, car, truck out there making them grip the road and improve handling.

My OHLINS blackline 13" shocks are a huge improvement over the OEM 12" shocks, but they can still be harsh on square edge bumps. When I was out for a ride yesterday I encountered a road where they replaced every drain pipe that crossed the road by cutting a slot in the road and then patching it. The transition across that patch was bone jarring even with the Ohlins. Only an adventure bike set on soft would have absorbed those bumps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone! I’ve also been reading about SuperShox as well now.....decisions, decisions. Haha

·
Registered
507 Posts
I just put legends on mine and love it. Still getting dialed in to my preference. But I was riding with a brand new 19 RGS with the factory shocks. He said one road felt like a jackhammer. I said ya I felt that back south of town. He told me no it was just before we got here. I will be honest I did not feel what he was talking about. I was impressed. I don't think either shock is going to completely get rid of some bumps but they were a great improvement.
I chose the legends as I frequent Sturgis so if I need something done the manufacturer is not far from me. Also they have a lifetime warranty so there should be no out of pocket costs in the future for me.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Either will be big improvement, both reportedly great, so can’t go wrong.

I went with Ohlins 159 (13” nominal) because overall length can be adjusted without sacrificing shock travel. I set mine to lowest length as I was replacing 12” stock shocks on ‘18 RG.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've had both Ohlins and Legend (Air) on my prior Street Glides. I bought my Ohlins from Howard (great guy), but was never truly able to "dial them in". My Legend Air Ride totally sucked and returned them 2X. In the end Legend had said that due to my skinny ass (135lbs) I just didn't weigh enough to have them perform adequately.

I think that my low weight may have also been the issue with my Ohlins. In the end I found the OEM hand adjustable shock to be better suited for my stature.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Good info fellas. Thank you!!!
In the end Brother....ether will be a HUGE step up from stock - I am biased towards @Smarty because I am proud to call that Handsome fucker a friend and he has ALWAYS gone above and beyond for me as well as others - There are other routes, yes, but for me when I was in your shoes, (1) call to Carol (set aside some time, he is a talker but it is well worth your time to listen......you know I love ya Carol) and I knew that I had ZERO reservations about sending money to some strange cat I met on a Bike Forum - I did have a moment where I was like...."Did I really just PayPal some cat I don't even know, money?"........but the constant communication throughout the entire process erased any and all "oh shit" feelings - And he still calls me to check in and make sure I am good with the 772s........that are now on their 3rd RG

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
I find it amazing how many people never rebuild/replace shocks on bikes/cars because they have no clue how unsafe worn suspension is on a vehicle.

Suspension transforms every motorcycle, car, truck out there making them grip the road and improve handling.

My OHLINS blackline 13" shocks are a huge improvement over the OEM 12" shocks, but they can still be harsh on square edge bumps. When I was out for a ride yesterday I encountered a road where they replaced every drain pipe that crossed the road by cutting a slot in the road and then patching it. The transition across that patch was bone jarring even with the Ohlins. Only an adventure bike set on soft would have absorbed those bumps.
And I find it equally amazing that there's never a mention of a rebuild/replacement procedure for the shocks. Spend $900 on a pair of shocks and have to rebuild them every two years for 1/3 the price of what you spent on them.

Not arguing the point of whether they need done or not, just kinda shell shocked at the price of it all. It sure isn't going to break me having them rebuilt, it's more annoying than anything to me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
i just installed a set of Super Shox on my '18 Roadglide. I'm content with my decision. Great quality and easy to adjust. Rides nice and I feel the bike is planted in the "twisties". "soaks up" the bumps a lot better than the OEM shocks. The Super Shox are made here in the USA too! FYI- I received a nice discount buying the set from Direct Cycle Parts. Talk to Steve, great dude to deal with.
good luck making your choice, either way you go will be a noticable improvement over the OEM shocks.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I got Ohlins from Howard on boh ends of my '17 RG. The front is nice, but the change is not as dramatic as the rear. The premium shocks make a world of difference in long distance comfort, but are NOT going to transform your road glide into a dual-sport with eight inches of suspension travel. Whichever you get will be a world of improvement over what you've got. (Unless you weigh 135 pounds, I guess...)

·
Registered
215 Posts
I got Ohlins from Howard on boh ends of my '17 RG. The front is nice, but the change is not as dramatic as the rear. The premium shocks make a world of difference in long distance comfort, but are NOT going to transform your road glide into a dual-sport with eight inches of suspension travel. Whichever you get will be a world of improvement over what you've got. (Unless you weigh 135 pounds, I guess...)
Yeah, I gotta stop drinking Light Beer :)

Reactions: MightyWhitey

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
Thanks everyone! I’ve also been reading about SuperShox as well now.....decisions, decisions. Haha
Don't forget,Brian will rebuild your shocks for free if your the OB.

Reactions: ALMOONEY
1 - 20 of 39 Posts