Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after listening to a lot of guys on here and other sites. I think I have pretty much figured out what I'm doing to my RG, but it will be a few month before it happens so I'm always open to new ideas to chase.

* SE chisel extreme billet air cleaner
* Rush Wrath 2-1
* HD street performance 1.9" Street Pro head
* Tman 590 Cams
* Harley pushrods (17997-99A)
* Lifters------?????
* TTS master tuner (2000012)

Please let me know what you think.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I'm used to that.

Do a good Stage 1 (air cleaner, exhaust, tuner) and then leave it alone and ride. Stage 1 is the best bang-for-the-buck, and it leaves your warranty relatively intact. Adding anything else reduces reliability, jeopardizes your warranty (if you have one), and costs a bunch of money to make a slow bike a little less slow.

A 120 horsepower Harley is still a slow motorcycle.

The money you're spending on heads, cams, and pushrods would be much better spent on a pair of Ohlins and a Ride Like A Pro class.

·
Registered
453 Posts
So after listening to a lot of guys on here and other sites. I think I have pretty much figured out what I'm doing to my RG, but it will be a few month before it happens so I'm always open to new ideas to chase.

* Rush Wrath 2-1
* Tman 590 Cams
* Lifters------?????

How does that cam/heads/pipe combo fit your riding style? If you run solo and live about 3500 you may be very happy. If not, you may consider other options.

Train has a good point, a good stage 1 makes a big difference per dollar spent, and a bike that rides nice and handles will be more fun in the long run than one that goes fast.

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
I have to agree with the above suggestions. Do a stage 1 with a good tune and you will be amazed how much that alone will wake the bike up. That's relatively inexpensive and will put a smile on your face

·
Registered
213 Posts

* Rush Wrath 2-1
* Tman 590 Cams
* Lifters------?????

The suggestions above are good options to see if your happy. Even putting a mild cam in or lower torque maybe all you need.
As we discussed before your riding style, two up or solo etc all plays into what you need/want. If it's going to mainly be a tourer then stage 1 or a mild cam would be sufficient. If your bar hopping running with guys then the combo you chose is a good one. The 590 or 577 Tman are good options. My 577 turns on about 2800 rpm. Rush wrath/dragos dragula both great pipes.

Sent from my LG-V700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 12 RG I bought used (no warranty). I have 15 RG in my garage that belongs to another guy who has a stage 1 with a good tune, and I probably ride it more than the owner. The reason I want more is because I rode another friends bike with a similar set up that I posted and I fell in love. I do appreciate the advice though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The main reason I was going to go with the 590 was other than hearing good thing about them here and other sites, my buddy has them in his 2013 SG, and he recently got the dragos Dracula's 2 and tune. Haven't seen any of his sheets but he says it is pushing about 115 hp/tq. When I rode it it definitely make my stock 103 or other bikes I have owned fill like a slug.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Seat of the pants I doubt you'll notice the difference between those two cams. HDSP will set compression as needed.

Sent from my LG-V700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
546 Posts
Sheffer Performance tuned a stock 103" with pipes and a Cycle Rama .570 cam (not a S&S), made 98hp/113tq. Nice broad tq curve.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I'm used to that.

Do a good Stage 1 (air cleaner, exhaust, tuner) and then leave it alone and ride. Stage 1 is the best bang-for-the-buck, and it leaves your warranty relatively intact. Adding anything else reduces reliability, jeopardizes your warranty (if you have one), and costs a bunch of money to make a slow bike a little less slow.

A 120 horsepower Harley is still a slow motorcycle.

The money you're spending on heads, cams, and pushrods would be much better spent on a pair of Ohlins and a Ride Like A Pro class.
I could not agree with 05Train more on this point. I purchased my 2016 RGS and immediately had the typical Stage 1 done to my bike. I was thrilled with the results. They were plenty for how I ride. I had smiles from ear to ear. Being a motor head, I couldn't keep myself from going a little further. I researched cams to death. Had a set installed and the bike re-tuned. To a degree the results were minimal. There were some changes that were appreciated, others that were not. It was a trade off. All in all I will leave the bike as it is now. But had I not done the cams I wouldn't really have lost anything.

Perhaps it was my selection of cams. I made my choice based on the possibility of additional future upgrades (read, I am a motor head and don't know when to leave good enough alone).

The suspension upgrades have made a huge difference in the bikes manners and performance. That was money definitely well spent. And in regards to a riders course, I would love to take an advanced riders course. Perhaps that would be a good father's gift or birthday gift from the family. Now, how do I get the wife to read this post and ignore the part about the upgraded cams and suspension?

·
Registered
852 Posts
IMO...Get with Frank at Dragos or Jamie at Fuelmoto and talk to these guys about what your wanting to do.

A system that has been designed to work together is extremely important. The Intake, TB, Heads, Cams, exhaust and tune need to be closely matched for optimum performance.

These guys make a living designing, testing and Dyno tuning these packages to make sure they work together and both offer great customer service.

Frank at Dragos
Phone: 815-765-1790
Email: [email protected]

Jamie at Fuelmoto
Sales / Tech Support:
920-423-3309

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
Hate to just pile on the Stage 1 Band wagon as it looks to be getting full but I am going to rugby scrum dive in......

I like that you have gotten a chance to ride bikes with stuff done that you know you like.....that is a bonus and I agree with Sloride.....if you are ready to take the leap, chat with those that do this for a living.

That being said, I can say with right hand raised that every single person I have ever rode with that has dumped grands into chasing HP out of a HD has always told me the same thing.....Stage 1 would have been just fine......until the Stage 4 guys speak up and at that point, the motor is no longer your Grandad's HD

It's your coin Papa-San......drop it as you will because at the end of it all, it really is just bike shit and matters not....what matters is how that bike shit makes you feel when you crank the go bar

·
Registered
967 Posts
As mention above...
You rode few bikes set up differently, stage 1, cams and head work and stock so you can appreciate the difference. Many argue the new 103
cam with a stage 1 is all you need until ride one with a cam upgrade.
I just like the stage one + cam push rods and lifter no head work.
Go for what you like do it once safe time and money.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Cyclerama .575 with a .030" head gaskets/103".
Good air filter
Good pipe
Good tune.
Ride it.
More?
Easy to see at/near 120/120 with several cams,(15 years ago) our Stage III Super Tour Heads from a 103".
OUR headwork is performed in house, and it is what we do/have done for a living, we do not farm it out, and call it "ours", nor do we do this after our full-time "day" job, in a garage in back of our residence. :)
Scott

·
Registered
213 Posts
Cyclerama .575 with a .030" head gaskets/103".
Good air filter
Good pipe
Good tune.
Ride it.
More?
Easy to see at/near 120/120 with several cams,(15 years ago) our Stage III Super Tour Heads from a 103".
OUR headwork is performed in house, and it is what we do/have done for a living, we do not farm it out, and call it "ours", nor do we do this after our full-time "day" job, in a garage in back of our residence. :)
Scott
And the price for those combos?

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
In my humble opinion, if you are looking for a dependable ride that will ride across the country and not beat up the valve train and give you plenty of power and a nice sound that most are looking for, there's better ways to go. With the new 103's, you can do a cam like the Andrews 57H, stock pushrods, a good set of headers such as Rush that are ceramic coasted and some good high flowing mufflers and high flow a/c and for half the cost put out 94-98 hp and 108-115 tq with a good dyno tune and tuner such as direct link. You will also get 42 mpg cruising at 70-75 mph all day long. If you just have to have heads done, get some good flowing heads with a 1.94" intake valve, .030 head gasket , and try and stay .585 lift or below to keep a quiet valve train and not beat it up on the long trips. You also have to think about pump gas octane the bigger the build and higher compression. Just make sure you are building something that gets you what you want where you ride most of the time. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Had a stage I, stage II and a stage IV and right now I just use a stage 1. The stage 1 is a much more dependable bike and it will run cooler too. Any high compression build will run hotter and it is harder on the internal components also head work is expensive and will not improve the performance as much as one would expect for the cost.
A good stage 1 will give you a nice touring bike and you will have a lot more cash in your pocket.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts