Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching a lot and seems the overwhelming consciences is that Fox Creek is the way to go when it comes to quality leather especially chaps.
With that being said what is another good option that's maybe not in the $200+ range.
I'm needing to buy 2 pair for those just in case moments. Believe me I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" but I know there has to be some quality chaps out there in the $100 range that would fit my needs? Me and the wife don't ride when it's too cold so they wouldn't get a lot of use. I know we're wussy's!
I just need to have them in the tourpack on the occasions when needed.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
365 Posts
From the land up Northeast where we wear them alot I wouldn't buy any other. I have Walters and my wife has US Made. They both attend many events nationwide like Daytone, Sturgis and of course Laconia.

US Made Leathers Danvers, MA US 1 Leathers - Home

Walter Dyer Leather Natick, MA Walter Dyer Store - Search Results for "chaps"

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Here's a slightly different kind of chaps that I use with great effect. https://www.airlite.ca/ They mount on the crash bar and not on the person. That said, I also have Harley chaps for my legs that I've had for about 10 years now. Good quality and I believe a lifetime warranty is offered now.

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
I have the Xelement B-7552 Men's Premium Motorcycle Easy Fit Chaps that I got from Leatherup for $74.95.
I'm on my second pair and love them.
When I crashed two years ago the chaps worked great the only reason I needed a new pair was that EMS workers had to cut them off as I was unconscious at the time.
Can't go wrong for the price.
Hope this helps.
Mike U.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
I have been using LeatherUp.com: Motorcycle Gear, Biker Apparel, Parts and Riding Accessories for the last 10 years and not only are the prices at least 50% off of retail but the quality is great.
I have purchased jackets, vests, chaps & leather pants. The leather is thick and made very well. Take a look and save yourself some money. My wife just bought me a new leather jacket & vest. I added the Harley patches & here are two picture.
Swomack

·
Registered
248 Posts
Whatthey are is chaps without a belt
They can be as heavy as standard chaps They have a tail that flips up over your belt and snaps back to themselves
The best thing about them is they Pack up in half the space as chaps
I bought mine in 1978 and have averaged 10 to 12,000 miles per season wearing them ever since
They wear like iron
I have replaced snaps and zippers a couple of times

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"PanWhenYouCan", which chaps are you referring to? Thanks

·
Registered
614 Posts
jafrum.com will have great prices.i have some hd chaps with double zipper-$-i also have a jafrum pair with removable liner.usually end up with the jafrum on

·
Registered
365 Posts
Less then $200 where are they made that chinese or india crap no thanks. Support independent local craftsman if possible. Every bike event here is full of foreign (7-11) vendors selling to motorcycle enthusiasts they have no clue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Fox Creek makes belt less chaps as well. I have a set and they are great.

I understand Fox Creek is more expensive, but if you compare side by side with a $100 set you will see the difference. The most important difference to me is the softness of the leather which makes them much more comfortable to wear.

I have a cheap set for sale in the classifieds for $50. They are size XXL if interested.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'll go against the leather "grain" as I am not a huge leather fan (please don't ban me :grin:), I like the Colorado Chaps, custom made to order in the USA, fantastic quality, easy on/off. Mine are 6 years old and have plenty of miles on them, still in great shape. I got them made with the reflective stripe and fleece lining, and they are "beltless" as well.

Direct link: https://www.coloradochaps.com/motorcycle_chaps.html

·
Registered
365 Posts
As far as packing chaps you should search on youtube Chap Pack. I am always amazed when folks pull out a huge mess of leather from saddlebags instead of knowing this. Learn and enjoy http://youtu.be/Oz8ppOVaKG0

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,029 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
As far as packing chaps you should search on youtube Chap Pack. I am always amazed when folks pull out a huge mess of leather from saddlebags instead of knowing this. Learn and enjoy http://youtu.be/Oz8ppOVaKG0
Seen it, but here's the deal - if you are on a trip and you pack everything to the gills, in order to get everything to fit, you have to repeat this obsessive process on the side of the road if you are riding through changing weather, which we often do. Maybe I'm different from most, but I'm not going to be fussing with it during a trip.

My personal way of packing is to roll stuff up like I would do when I have to put it back and hop on my bike, otherwise its just a frustrating, time consuming pain in the ass.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Chaps are for many things; riding ain't one of them. I was wearing Fox Creek chaps when I got broadsided by a Honda Civic. They may have saved me from some road rash, but they did nothing to mitigate the impact damage from the wreck....Hitting the ground hurts, and a thin piece of leather doesn't help that. On top of that, the cheap seams blew apart from the impact, while the FXRG jacket I was wearing is still wearable.

Fox Creek is junk, and chaps are for show only.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts