Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a long time since I have given two flips for cars , the ones I want , too hard to get in and out of this late in life ..

Have owned all the big three brands of trucks , been pretty happy with all of them .. Since 1991 , I been Ford Blue , I traded a 1983 Chevrolet 1 ton crew cab dually with 454 and four speed on a Ford F250 3/4 ton , because Chevy was running their "dont buy no ugly truck" ad then , and those early 90's Chevy trucks were some kind of ugly . To this day I wish I had kept that dually , put 160,000 hard miles on two motors and two clutches ..

In the next year or two I am buying either a new or nearly new F250 or F350 4WD gas burner .. I really love the diesel , but cannot justify the $9200~ up charge and diesel cost as much or more than gas , plus everything since 2011 requires DEF , unless you do a delete , then you run into the issue of no one will work on the deleted motor .. If I could find a three to five year old used diesel I would consider it , but they are especially proud of used diesels around here ..

2019 is the last year for the 6.2L V8 gas burner in the Ford .. I rented a 2018 F250 4WD XLT crew cab in May and put about 900 miles on it and got 16 mpg , about 700 of that was super slab .. The original rumor I heard was the replacement was to be a 7.0 L V8 .. A couple days ago I heard it will be a 7.3L V8 , then the same day I read where it would be a 7.3L V10 ... Supposedly we will know mid January ..

The V10 is a hoss .. Does Dodge still offer the V10 ??

My ideal truck would be a Ford body with the 6.7L Cummins deleted with the Allison transmission ... Or even better this outfit in Georgia does custom F650's , he puts any trim interior in it that you want ( all Ford cabs are same size , so no issue with fitment ) and puts a bed on if you want it and also does Super Singles if you want .. But all at a price .. He has a couple F650 triple cabs that are really sharp ..

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
2019 is the last year for the 6.2L V8 gas burner in the Ford .. I rented a 2018 F250 4WD XLT crew cab in May and put about 900 miles on it and got 16 mpg , about 700 of that was super slab .. The original rumor I heard was the replacement was to be a 7.0 L V8 .. A couple days ago I heard it will be a 7.3L V8 , then the same day I read where it would be a 7.3L V10 ... Supposedly we will know mid January ..
i use a pickup for a delivery vehicle at work; started with a '79 F-100, went to a '96 dodge V-6, then a '01 Chevy 5.2 liter ext cab.

traded in the Chev when GM took the bailout (it still pisses me off) and got a 5.4 liter xlt crew cab and love it.
only get around 15 mpg but more grunt than the chev. ltd. slip diff is a PITA but other than that no problems (need diff fluid change every 25K or so miles) and the crew cab adds an incredible amount of space for whatever you will ever need.

people respect pickup trucks. it's a totally different driving experience than riding the scoot!
and like you said, it beats dropping down into a vehicle and then trying to get out of it.

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a 7.3L power stroke , wish I had kept it ..

My '01 F150 Super Crew 4x4 XLT with the 5.4L turned 175,000 yesterday . No matter what I get , I am keeping this truck . They wouldn't give me anything for it anyways .. No major issues to amount to much , do most of the work on it myself ..

Gas ?? Never misses a pump , 11-12 in town and 16 on highway with cruise set and under 70 mph ..

Friends son had a 5.3L Chevy and had lots of problems with it , he just traded it in on a used power stroke ..

·
Registered
260 Posts
2007 F250 Lariat. CCLB Powerstroke 4x4, last year before DEF. 125K and still going strong. My biggest issue with it is it often takes a while to find a parking spot, and when I find one it can take some precision maneuvering to get into it. Probably won't buy another one. This was 37K new, and to replace it is now 65K. I can replace everything in my truck for less than half the cost of a new one.

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep best year for the 6 point uh oh in my opinion .. And you know there are a couple Lariat 07 F250 CCLWB's here with 125-150 on them going for around 22 .. No way in h$%$ I will pay 65 or more for a truck . I choke on 50 , it is insane ..

The 6.2 I rented had a sticker of 51100 ~ and were selling it for 47~ , dealership 15 miles down the road was selling same exact truck with same exact options for 43.5 .. Add the PS to it and your are looking at 53 , freaking crazy ..

Best option is ( in Ford ) to get the XL or the STX trim .. I dont really look at the Ram or GM truck sites , but the Ford site where you build the truck pisses me off ..

Base price diff between the XL and XLT is around 5k , XLT to Lariat same deal around 5k ..Same going thru King Ranch and Platinum .. But going from the XL to XLT , you aren't getting 5k worth of upgrades ..

Aside from the comment about the over my budget custom 650's , best deal for me would be get the F450 CC 4WD XL or STX , PS is standard in the 450 , can be had for 60 .. 450 and 550 have the wide track front end and a much tighter turning radius ..

Only money , but this late in life I dont wanna ..

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've never had a car for a daily driver, been in a pick up my whole life. I'm a Ford guy (although they piss me off at times), but have driven the big 3 (plus a Toyota) from the mini trucks to 1 tons and up. This is what I have learned.

Chevy - Looks good, rides most like a car. Not for heavy hauling.
Dodge - Cummings plus Allison, you can't go wrong. The rest of the truck sucks.
Ford - What can I say, I'm a Ford guy, albeit they have their shortcomings.

Gas vs. Diesel? It's hard to justify $9k for a Diesel when fuel and maintenance cost so much more, unless your hauling.

My company traded my 2011 F-250 6.7 150k miles (there were signs of a failing injector pump) for two 2016 F-350. My boss asked me if we should buy gas or diesel, I told him to save the money and buy the gas. These are superintendent trucks, I'm luck if I pull a trailer once or twice a month. 100k miles a set of tires and brakes, the 6.2 running strong. Don't get me wrong I do love diesels, but it's hard to justify if you don't need it. Even if it's not your money.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I’m a Chevy guy. I love the layout of the interior compared to the other trucks. I work for 2 different companies. One of those is an ambulance service. We have always run diesels until ford quit putting them in the van chassis. Our new Ambulance has the V10. That thing sounds like it is going to explode under load. I asked the salesman if that was normal during a demo, and he said that just how they sound. It’s fairly quick, but doesn’t pull the hills quite as good as a diesel. I haven’t compared the fuel mileage, as ambulances spend insane amounts of time idling. They probably get more engine hours idling than they do moving. The other company I work for runs 1 tons. About half ford, half Chevy. They all have good and bad. Good luck with your decision, and without pics it didn’t happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
@JacktheBagger Im driving a 99 F250 with the v10. Im getting 11mpg empty or pulling. The heaviest I pull is a dump trailer that weighs about 11k loaded. Im the second owner of this truck. I usually buy a new truck every 2 or 3 years but its just not important to me anymore. I just sold a 2016 Toyota Tundra that was probably one of my favorite trucks but wasn't rated to tow my trailer. Im sure it would have done it with no problem but for legal issues I wouldn't. For some reason I just love this old 99 Ford. I bought it as a beater for work and didn't drive my Tundra for almost 2 months. A buddy hounded me to death to buy the Tundra so I sold it. I know Im going to buy another truck but Im certainly not in any hurry. I highly doubt it will be a diesel. Been there and done that and in my opinion they are overrated. If you took the turbo off of them their torque and hp numbers would be cut by a third. Add a turbo or supercharger and your looking at almost identical numbers. I did love my diesels but the maintenance and cost of maintenance really turns me off. Sure I could be getting better mpg with the diesel but to me its just not worth the cost of the engine, the fuel and the maintenance. Good luck with whatever route you decide to go with and be sure to post some pics of your new ride.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm a diesel guy. If ur not towing maybe save a few bucks and get one of the smaller trucks with eco diesel? My brother has a 2018 Chevy Colorado zr2 diesel and it's one bad ass truck.

And if ur a Ford guy the ranger should be out next year and it's supposed to be getting a diesel.

Or my personal favorite... jeep is coming out with the gladiator next year and it's supposed to get a diesel as well... if only I didnt have a bike payment

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
260 Posts
yep best year for the 6 point uh oh in my opinion .. And you know there are a couple Lariat 07 F250 CCLWB's here with 125-150 on them going for around 22 .. No way in h$%$ I will pay 65 or more for a truck . I choke on 50 , it is insane ..

The 6.2 I rented had a sticker of 51100 ~ and were selling it for 47~ , dealership 15 miles down the road was selling same exact truck with same exact options for 43.5 .. Add the PS to it and your are looking at 53 , freaking crazy ..

Best option is ( in Ford ) to get the XL or the STX trim .. I dont really look at the Ram or GM truck sites , but the Ford site where you build the truck pisses me off ..

Base price diff between the XL and XLT is around 5k , XLT to Lariat same deal around 5k ..Same going thru King Ranch and Platinum .. But going from the XL to XLT , you aren't getting 5k worth of upgrades ..

Aside from the comment about the over my budget custom 650's , best deal for me would be get the F450 CC 4WD XL or STX , PS is standard in the 450 , can be had for 60 .. 450 and 550 have the wide track front end and a much tighter turning radius ..

Only money , but this late in life I dont wanna ..
I prefer the Lariat. Not sure what all options you can get with the XL and XLT, but I like the leather, power seats, tinted sunroof, electric rear slider, and captains chairs with inside armrests. I don't tow or haul anything big enough to need more than a 250.We have a 550 at work that was refitted with a 5.9 Cummins. Nice truck, but the engine is noisy and I don't want a dually.

The diesel wasn't a necessity, but there have been times I was really glad I have it. When I put in my back yard, it didn't even know that it had a 2500 pound pallet of sod in the bed and two more on the trailer. I did the same thing with the Tacoma I had previously for the front lawn and that was a scary ride. Plus I bought a tractor and tandem trailer that it can pull with ease.

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have no use for a small truck ..

I drive a 12.8L Detroit 410HP 12 speed auto Freightliner for work ..

The vast majority of people who own diesel pick ups do not need them ..

I know the costs of maintaining a diesel , especially since the DEF came to be .. Thanks to the Dems in Washington for that debacle ..

What amazes me is the number of people who own diesel and 4WD , they don't need the diesel , and you can't pay them to take it off road ..

When I was coming along , if you wanted 4WD , it was special order , rare to see one on a dealers lot ..

The large displacement gas burners will run 300-400k , pick your brand there .. Most govt operations have started going to gas because of reduced maintenance costs over the life of the vehicles ..

As long as peeps will pay 60 or more for a diesel people will sell them , ridiculous , and I love diesels , but just can't justify it ..

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm kind of partial to my 5.7 Hemi powered, 20mpg in the mountains, 395HP, 8spd auto 2017 RAM. I've owned all of the US manufactures at some point (starting with a 49 Chevy) and this one is the best so far.

One friend has a 15 2500 4WD with the 5.7 and another has a 14 2500 4WD with the 6.4 , both say they getting mileage similar to yours ..

learned to drive in a '49 1 1/2 ton GMC

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I prefer the Lariat. Not sure what all options you can get with the XL and XLT, but I like the leather, power seats, tinted sunroof, electric rear slider, and captains chairs with inside armrests. I don't tow or haul anything big enough to need more than a 250.We have a 550 at work that was refitted with a 5.9 Cummins. Nice truck, but the engine is noisy and I don't want a dually.

The diesel wasn't a necessity, but there have been times I was really glad I have it. When I put in my back yard, it didn't even know that it had a 2500 pound pallet of sod in the bed and two more on the trailer. I did the same thing with the Tacoma I had previously for the front lawn and that was a scary ride. Plus I bought a tractor and tandem trailer that it can pull with ease.
XL is pretty basic , STX is about halfway to the XLT .. Always liked the XLT myself .. Love the King Ranch and almost bought a '16 KR with 50 on the clock when I rented the gas burner .. My biggest complaint with the Ford trim levels is the increase in cost from one to the next , doesnt give you the dollar value in extra stuff . The 5000 increase from XL to XLT isnt five thousand worth of additional stuff ..

·
Registered
815 Posts
I have 2011 F150 SuperCrew XLT that I bought in April 2012 with 8500 miles on the clock, 5.0LFlexFuel. Does everything I need it to do, have no plans or need to upgrade!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've never had a car for a daily driver, been in a pick up my whole life. I'm a Ford guy (although they piss me off at times), but have driven the big 3 (plus a Toyota) from the mini trucks to 1 tons and up. This is what I have learned.

Chevy - Looks good, rides most like a car. Not for heavy hauling.
Dodge - Cummings plus Allison, you can't go wrong. The rest of the truck sucks.
Ford - What can I say, I'm a Ford guy, albeit they have their shortcomings.

Gas vs. Diesel? It's hard to justify $9k for a Diesel when fuel and maintenance cost so much more, unless your hauling.

My company traded my 2011 F-250 6.7 150k miles (there were signs of a failing injector pump) for two 2016 F-350. My boss asked me if we should buy gas or diesel, I told him to save the money and buy the gas. These are superintendent trucks, I'm luck if I pull a trailer once or twice a month. 100k miles a set of tires and brakes, the 6.2 running strong. Don't get me wrong I do love diesels, but it's hard to justify if you don't need it. Even if it's not your money.
You obviously haven't been in a new GMC 2500 or 3500, they tow and handle the loads better than the F250-350 trucks, they have better suspension by far

My 2018 F250 up against my brothers 2018 GMC Denali 2500 with same load the GM smokes it in MPG, power and stability..i was inpressed

both are Diesel

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
Just picked this up today.

New 2019 loaded F-250 XLT

Purchased the 6.2 gas burner and all I can say is I’m beyond pleased.

I traded in my Chevy with 190273 miles logged.

I added black leather with grey stitch.

It was time for a new truck and for me it’s a dream truck.

Swomack

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Ive also owned them all, big 3. I have a 05 Z71 avalanche now with the 5.3. 210,000 on it and really only wear parts have had to be replaced, water pump being the biggest deal. Hope I didn't jinx myself writing that.
When the 5.3 goes, new crate motor will take its place. I drive 15 miles a day to and from work, can't justify the cost of a new one for me.
Real good friend of mine works at the GMC dealer. Their new trucks are incredible inside and out. Price is outrageous though.

One of my riding buddies has a 18 250 king ranch, traded in a 14 king ranch. Also incredible inside and out. Old one and the new one, both diesels. Old one he replaced the radiator at 150,000 miles. He mentioned they are plastic or mostly plastic, something to that effect. New one is the same deal.

Dodge makes, or made a Mega-Cab I rode in. Guy had work done to the diesel and dam that thing was fast. Extra room in the cab was real nice.

Vehicles have come so far since I started driving in the late '80s, its crazy. Back then if a vehicle had or near 100,000 miles it was done. Now I'm driving one with double that, crazy.

GM, ford, dodge all make great trucks. Have to hope you get a good one from the manufacturer you buy from. If I was in a position to buy a new truck, I would choice the interior I liked best and the best ride.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts