Road Glide banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Old chebbies are cool , had a 63 step side some years back

My first vehicle was a 1963 C10, longbed fleetside. Paid $500 for it when I was 15 1/2. Rolling basket case. Had it mechanically sound by my 16th birthday. Did a full body off restoration on it during the 11 years I had it. I drove that truck all over the Western United States.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
All for the show....but my kinda truck indeed - When the kids get out of school and we move South.......I will be on the hunt for this - Not towing a house our pulling stumps or taking down 80 foot Redwoods.......just for hauling potting soil back from Home Depot..........slow and low

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
All you boys are talking drivers. My work truck is an F550 Flatbed w/6.7 Power stroke. It's a 2 wheel drive with a 13' flatbed good for hauling 10.000lbs on the deck.It's a 2011 XL. This truck hasn't missed a beat ,runs delivering wear parts to the mines and excavation sites. Mud up to the axles ,sand ,rocks, dirt and swimming through rivers of compost and still begging for more. It's my moneymaker.
Driven 7.2s ,6.0 ,6.4 and the 6.7 with a Kodiak thrown in. I see some nasty harsh conditions hauling loader buckets into the mountains and for me diesel is the only engine that'll handle what I do.
I think the 6.7 is a winner.
My play truck is an 2004 Silverado 2500 HD with the LB7 Duramax. Still runs great.Hell I ran an 1984 Chevy 6.2L to over 700,000 miles with no engine work slow and steady.
I'd take a 550 for a daily driver any day , dealer here had a '12 XL single cab 4WD with a 13' flat bed a few months back , 60k on the odd o meter , asking 32 and change . If it had been a crew cab , I would a sold some stuff fast to get it .. Reason the 7.3 was so good is it was a medium duty engine to start with .. I think they finally got a winner with the 6.7 .. I'd take a 6 point uh oh in a flash if it was bullet proofed ..

When I bought my 83 K30 crew cab dooley with the 454 and four speed , it was a hoss , friend had the 6.2 , same truck , 84 IIRC , it would pull , but I always laughed at him , saying ya hadda down shift for a speed bump ..

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Ok, I'll buy into that.

That's why I have the old 1962 Chevy C10. No many frills in a 1962. It has a 327 V8, an SM 420 truck 4 speed and 3.38:1 rear end. It's a Short bed Step side. Just to make Steady Eddy happy, here's a couple of shots of it hauling my old '62 Chopper.
Eddie likey...

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
All for the show....but my kinda truck indeed - When the kids get out of school and we move South.......I will be on the hunt for this - Not towing a house our pulling stumps or taking down 80 foot Redwoods.......just for hauling potting soil back from Home Depot..........slow and low
Id kiss your ass and give you 30 minutes to draw a crowd if you think you could score that ride...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Looks like you have made the main decision, which is good. I usually take a look at Consumer Reports on big ticket items. Not sure that info is selective enough to help you decide any further!

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'd take a 550 for a daily driver any day , dealer here had a '12 XL single cab 4WD with a 13' flat bed a few months back , 60k on the odd o meter , asking 32 and change . If it had been a crew cab , I would a sold some stuff fast to get it .. Reason the 7.3 was so good is it was a medium duty engine to start with .. I think they finally got a winner with the 6.7 .. I'd take a 6 point uh oh in a flash if it was bullet proofed ..

When I bought my 83 K30 crew cab dooley with the 454 and four speed , it was a hoss , friend had the 6.2 , same truck , 84 IIRC , it would pull , but I always laughed at him , saying ya hadda down shift for a speed bump ..
I can promise you the ole 7.3 was pretty much bulletproof. We ran the crap out of them in ambulances, and those things popped right along and never missed a lick. Many did not like them, but no turbo equaled less problems, etc. They also gave the trucks about a 72 MPH top speed, which was good also.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I haven't seen the new Ram interiors yet , need to go hit ewe toob and have a look see , but I have heard that they were really stepping up their game on the inside .. The adjustable pedals are something I can not figger , my truck has them .. Gots to be really short ..
Adjustable pedals are mainly to properly position an occupant so supplemental restraints will adequately protect the person. Someone really short would be critically close to a frontal airbag, especially for the full force secondary protection level.

·
Super Moderator
10,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I can promise you the ole 7.3 was pretty much bulletproof. We ran the crap out of them in ambulances, and those things popped right along and never missed a lick. Many did not like them, but no turbo equaled less problems, etc. They also gave the trucks about a 72 MPH top speed, which was good also.
Had two 7.3's , wish I had kept them

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Id kiss your ass and give you 30 minutes to draw a crowd if you think you could score that ride...
They are out there and are drawing CRAZY $$ once restored - I will find a runner and then begin the body work.

Lookie Lookie
https://www.carsforsale.com/used-car-dealer/classic-car-deals-cadillac-mi-d655419/inventory?Make=Volkswagen&Model=Super+Beetle&MaxPrice=&MaxMileage=

Also that "Chebbie" JTB wants......
https://www.classiccardeals.com/Listing/211557/1966-Chevrolet-C10.aspx

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
The new trucks now are getting ridiculous with all the bells and whistles. Its too much. Its distracting all the bs they are adding to them. Less is more...
;

IMHO: trucks are the new "in" vehicle. Too pretty and fancy for me; I buy a truck so I can do "truck things" when I need to, and as JtB stated early on, they're just a whole lot easier to get in and out of. My '10 F150 5L SuperCrew(I can't stand that name), it's a friggin' crew cab. Anyway, runs like a scalded dog, rides nice and will pull my trailer with two Glides on it w/o hesitation. All I need, but if your needs dictate something else, I get it. Now I have to go back and see if you ever got the new one and check out the pics!:grin:

·
Registered
2,525 Posts

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
@SteadyEddie.......this one would look good on ya too my man:
Indeed it would Jack and I could get down like that alllllll day and into the night...........but I am still a VW guy at heart......have been since I was a pre-teen saving Paper Route and Lawn Cutting money for my 1st car

·
Registered
2,525 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Indeed it would Jack and I could get down like that alllllll day and into the night...........but I am still a VW guy at heart......have been since I was a pre-teen saving Paper Route and Lawn Cutting money for my 1st car
..........and that 1st car was....? I have to admit, I liked the old VW's, but never said it around the house, (my dad worked at the Ford factory for 37(?) years; he would've slapped me silly!

41 - 60 of 100 Posts