Road Glide banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
you are correct. I have heard ford is coming out with a 7.3 L V8. supposed to be a tourqe monster. very simple design geared to the vocational segment of the market. due out for the 2020 model year.. Gasoline.
yeah sposed to be a beast , six bolt mains and cant wait to see the numbers , sposed to fall between the 6.2 and PS in the numbers department , but the 6.2 aint far from the PS in HP ....

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I have a 2016 F-350 Platinum dually. I can tell you this as other have stated if you aren't towing on a regular basis don't get a diesel and especially don't get a dually. I average 12mpg city and about 15mpg highway (the majority of my annual miles are on the road glide). You'll learn to hate it fast. This is my 5th Super Duty with my first one being a 2001 7.3L Powerstroke and that was a damn good truck. But my now Platinum is by far my most favorite of them all. I like my trucks nice with all the features. I tow a 40' toy hauler and we typically travel far so I'm all about the creature comforts. With that said though if I didn't travel much or have a trailer that large I would not have a 350 or larger. I would definitely just stick to a F-250 or one of those F-150 diesel trucks.

·
Super Moderator
10,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I have a 2016 F-350 Platinum dually. I can tell you this as other have stated if you aren't towing on a regular basis don't get a diesel and especially don't get a dually. I average 12mpg city and about 15mpg highway (the majority of my annual miles are on the road glide). You'll learn to hate it fast. This is my 5th Super Duty with my first one being a 2001 7.3L Powerstroke and that was a damn good truck. But my now Platinum is by far my most favorite of them all. I like my trucks nice with all the features. I tow a 40' toy hauler and we typically travel far so I'm all about the creature comforts. With that said though if I didn't travel much or have a trailer that large I would not have a 350 or larger. I would definitely just stick to a F-250 or one of those F-150 diesel trucks.
Yeah my daily driver is a 2017 Freightliner , 410 HP Detroit with twelve speed automatic , know all about diesel/no diesel ..

I had two 7.3's , wish I had kept either one .. I dont have a problem with a dooley as a daily driver .. My 1983 K30 Chevy crew cab dooley was my daily driver from 1983-1991 .. 160k miles at 8 mpg with a four speed manual ..

This F150 is the only 1/2 ton I have owned since I was 16 in the early 1970's .. It's a good truck and I'm gonna keep it .. All the previous were 3/4 or one tons ..

I'm 62 , so odds are whatever I get , gas or diesel , I aint gonna wear it out in this lifetime .. Platinum is nice but not dropping 75 on a new one ..

My budget is more like 50 on the top side , so with that I could get a new 250/350 gas crew cab 4x4 or a three /four year old diesel on the high side of the budget .. My buddy just bought my cousins six year old Duramax crew cab 4x4 for 38k with 60k on it ..

If we get another fifth wheel , all bets are off ..

450/550 has the wide track front end with a tighter turning radius .. Plenty of low mileage 450's out there under 50 with under 100k on them ..

If money was no object this is what I would get ..

Blue Jean XLT | F650 Supertrucks

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I have to disagree with you on this. I've owned nothing but diesel trucks since 2006 except for 16 months when I had a Chevy p/u with a 6.2 V-8 and that thing got way worse fuel mileage than any of my diesel rigs.

I drove a Jeep TJ before I got my truck so I was use to only getting 15 mpg most times. My first diesel truck was a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 I bought to tow the Jeep and haul a camper. Then I bought a 2008 Dodge Ram 3500 dually because my towing had increases. I had the 2005 Chevy 3500 with rear steer for a short time but didn't like it. So traded it for a 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 and on 2 Jan 19 just moved up to a 2018 Ram 3500 dually again becasue I am going to start traveling in 2 years when my daughter is done with school.

My 2001 Ram 2500

2008 Ram 3500

I'd bought this 08 Ram to tow my red neck toy hauler.

My 01 2500 just wasn't up to hauling this setup.

I made the mistake of getting into a relationship and she thought the camper wasn't large enough so I sold the setup for a motorhome. Big mistake!!!!

2006 Ram 3500

And now my new DD and tow rig.
2018 Ram 3500 Longhorn dually with a 6.7 CTD rated to tow 25.5K lbs!!!

This truck only has 6,000 miles on it and I am getting 15 MPG right now and it keeps getting better as it get broke in. I've seen 17 MPG when it was all freeway driving so far.

·
Super Moderator
10,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Wildman I agree with your disagreement ..

I'm looking around the country now at used 450/550 crew cab 4WD's ... Just looking ..

Gas burning GM's have always been horrible on mileage in the HD pickups ...

We rented this '18 F250 last May with 3 miles on it , 6.2L gas , 4x4 , got 16 mpg on a 900 mile run ...

The dealer we rented this truck from had a '16KR 250 with 54k on it for $49900 , shudda snagged it ..

JtB

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have mostly owned big block gas cars/trucks or a Diesel. That said, the current truck I own is a 2018 FX4 F150 Lariat 5.0L/10 speed auto/3.73 gear. I love this truck. avg 18.2 MPG and it pulls full size cars like a 57 chevy on a 20ft tilt bed trailer without any problem at all. Great truck and no complaints.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I never owned diesel trucks until my first one in 2006 but I had worked at a RV dealer and replaced or rebuilt a lot of gas engines that had just been OVER WORKED due to the load they were trying to haul. After that I said if I was going to be towing and hauling loads I wouldn't own anything BUT a diesel rig. I was also a long haul truck driver for a few years so I love that sound. I've gotten as good as 20MPG with my 2008 truck with DD and would get 13-14MPG towing with it. You ain't going to get that in a gas rig.

I looked at the F450 before I bought my new Ram. Both are rated to tow the same load and I really like the Cummins engine so Ram won out. The new 2019 Ram has all the features that the Ford does now also. But I really didn't want all that stuff. I don't need a dually right now as I won't be towing a heavy load for a few more years but my 06 was starting to have issues and I needed to replace it.

My fist rig when I started driving was a 1954 Dodge p/u and then a 1964 Chevy p/u. I've always liked truck over cars.

·
Super Moderator
10,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
One thing that I like in the 450/550 is the wide track front axles , six inches wider , and allows for a much tighter turning radius . Ram has really stepped up their interiors now . To me GM/Chevy interior looks cheep . Inline is definitely more desirable than a V with a diesel ... My gripe is the cost of the trim upgrades , you definitely don't get the dollar value of the upgrades over the trim level below

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I have a Avalanche now, 215,000 miles. I would love to have a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. I have absolutely no use for one, I hardly ever put anything in the back of the avalanche, but Id love to have one.
And that big blue truck that was posted for sale, I could handle driving that every day!

·
Registered
876 Posts
I own a 1996 chevy stepside 4x4 305 v8 motor. It has never really let me down but has over 100,000 miles, so i am wanting to put an LS motor in it with a cam and a 4L80E transmission to hop it up some. I've had this truck for over 22 years and probably never get rid of it.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I own a 1996 chevy stepside 4x4 305 v8 motor. It has never really let me down but has over 100,000 miles, so i am wanting to put an LS motor in it with a cam and a 4L80E transmission to hop it up some. I've had this truck for over 22 years and probably never get rid of it.
You sound like me and my '91 Suburban only 225k on it :grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Looks can be deceiving :laugh:

Thanks, the color is Bahama Blue

81 - 100 of 100 Posts